AVS Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I know this question has been asked before, but I still have a question.

Ik bought the logitech z906 (5.1) which can process dolby and dts. It is connected to my ps4. It is connected with an optical cable.
Ps4 setting: pcm, dts or dolby. I understood that I need to select dts or dolby, when using an optical cable (pcm is stereo). But when using pcm I still have surround, granted less noticable than dolby or dts.

Ok, so I need to select dts or dolby. I understood that it doesn't matter which one. But why? My games can support both, but most of my dvd's only have dolby. So isn't is bad when I use dts in this example?

Furthermore, when playing a dvd, I have the option to select pcm or bitstream mix or direct. Why can I select this again in the ps4 dvd menu? I don't understand why I can select pcm while watching dvd, and still have dolby selected in the ps4 settings?

So I ask the question again, what is the best selection? Pcm and dolby/drs sound quite different from each other.
Thanks.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Hi,

I know this question has been asked before, but I still have a question.

Ik bought the logitech z906 (5.1) which can process dolby and dts. It is connected to my ps4. It is connected with an optical cable.
Ps4 setting: pcm, dts or dolby. I understood that I need to select dts or dolby, when using an optical cable (pcm is stereo). But when using pcm I still have surround, granted less noticable than dolby or dts.

Ok, so I need to select dts or dolby. I understood that it doesn't matter which one. But why? My games can support both, but most of my dvd's only have dolby. So isn't is bad when I use dts in this example?

Furthermore, when playing a dvd, I have the option to select pcm or bitstream mix or direct. Why can I select this again in the ps4 dvd menu? I don't understand why I can select pcm while watching dvd, and still have dolby selected in the ps4 settings?

So I ask the question again, what is the best selection? Pcm and dolby/drs sound quite different from each other.
Thanks.
I would select PCM. You’re using an optical cable so it’s going to be compressed regardless.

·
Registered
8,957 Posts
You want to set the player to a bitstream output. Then, when you select either DD 5.1 or DTS on the source, you will get discrete 5.1. If you are getting surround when set to PCM, your processor is extracting some content from the stereo input to produce sound from the other channels. That is seldom going to be as good as discrete 5.1.

·
Registered
536 Posts
You want to set the player to a bitstream output. Then, when you select either DD 5.1 or DTS on the source, you will get discrete 5.1. If you are getting surround when set to PCM, your processor is extracting some content from the stereo input to produce sound from the other channels. That is seldom going to be as good as discrete 5.1.
Agree. The PCM option will cause the PS4 to decode the audio and pass uncompressed stereo - this option is for receivers that don't support multichannel audio. The bitstream option will cause the PS4 to pass compressed multichannel audio which should give you the best sound.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks BIslander and Lils Roro. I tried all the settings and this seemed to work the best and correspond with what you said.
Now the right rear speaker of my z906 give a tweeting noise sometimes. But this must be the fault of my crappy system. Read that some people have this problem too. Now it's gone, hope it stays that way.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts