AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Afternoon all……..I recently joined the AVS Forum and it looks like I’ve found a goldmine of information and expertise on this forum. Being a relative novice in the HT arena, I am looking for suggestions for properly setting up the audio portion of my system listed below.

TV

Mits WS 65807

Receiver

Onkyo 787 with Onkyo M-282 Amp for rear surrounds.

L/R Mains

Polk Audio LS-70 Tower

25 Hz - 26KHz, 30 – 250 Watt, sensitivity 90dB

Center

Polk Audio CS350-LS

60 Hz – 26 KHz, 10 – 250 Watt, sensitivity 91dB

Side and rear surrounds

Polk Audio M5

50 Hz – 23 KHz, 20 – 125 Watt, sensitivity 91 dB

Sub

Yamaha YST-SW500

20 Hz – 160 Hz, 120 Watt

Room size is 15’ X 13’ with the TV and component rack being along the 15 foot wall. Center is on top of TV, towers 6†off each side of TV, Sub in right corner at about a 45 degree angle, side surrounds wall mounted 8 feet high 10 feet from front wall and angled down. Rear surrounds on stands at ear level next to rear wall facing each other. The couch is against the rear wall so I couldn’t place them behind unless I put them on the floor firing up, which I didn’t think would be a good idea.

Do any of you audio experts have suggestions/recommendations for better speaker placement? The towers can be Bi wired as an option, would this help/degrade the system? In setting up the sub, where would you recommend the high cut filter be set to?

(It’s set at 70 Hz at this time). Also, any ideas as to setting the speaker size to small vs large in the receiver speaker setup?

Sorry for so many questions at one time, and looking forward to having a great time on this excellent forum.

·
Registered
15,086 Posts
MDJ,

I'll pick on one particular point that is somewhat vague in your description.

How is your subwoofer hooked up?

If it's being driven from the receiver's subwoofer/LFE output, then you should disable (turn up all the way) its crossover. Let the receiver control the low frequency crossover. LFE can include frequencies as high as 120Hz or so, for example.

There are arguments for setting all speakers small and letting the subwoofer handle all of the low frequencies:

1) Most subwoofers have a much lower extension than most floorstanding speakers.

2) Also, the wavelengths of low frequencies are comparable to the dimensions of most rooms, which causes resonances. When there are multiple sources of the same low frequency sound, they set up standing waves and interference patterns in the room. This causes various places in the room to suffer additions and cancellations at some frequencies.

In general, biwiring only produces subtle improvements. There are improvements that you can make to your room (e.g. eliminating reflections) that will have much more dramatic effects.

I hope this helps a little.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Selden,

The sub is being controlled from the receiver sub out.....I'll try setting the speakers to small and set sub cutoff as you suggested and see if it makes any improvements.

Mike

·
Registered
13 Posts
Are you interested in 2 ch music, or multi channel home theater? For 2 ch music, I like to put my speakers well into the room, to get them away from the rear walls. You can find some guidelines for setting up speakers at the cardas website.

For HT, I find that the placement of the front 2 speakers is not as criticle.

I found biwring improved the sound of my system, but there may have been room tweaks that I could have made that would give better $/performance. However, I have to consider the WAF for changes, and room tweaks would be a hard sell at my house.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Randy,

The HT setup is in the Living room and is primarily used for viewing TV (Sat,HDTV, DVD's and some SD) although the system is capable of playing CD's, AM/FM etc, the setup in my family room is where I go for music. The setup there does have a Pioneer A/V receiver and 36" direct view for cable & Sat. (no HD there). It also has a seperate Onkyo Amp/Tuner I use for CD, Cassette, and believe it or not, open reel material that was recorded many years ago.

The Onkyo Receiver is much better than in the receiver (AM/FM) in either the Pioneer or the Onkyo 787. Even though it is many years older, it will pull in stations the other receivers will not and generally just sounds better.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks Alan, very informative............

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.