AVS Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is the audio signal through the iPod's dock connector analog or digital?

I see alot of car head units w/ USB inputs and iPod control through the iPod's dock connector.

The manufacturers of these head units always say it's fully digital audio.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Interesting. I've actually posted this question on a couple of other forums and everyone is giving me different answers.

Some say it's analog and the digital signal is only for iPod control through the head unit. Others are saying everything is digital (the audio and control).

·
Registered
12,326 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by IsLNdbOi /forum/post/18187820

Is the audio signal through the iPod's dock connector analog or digital?

I see alot of car head units w/ USB inputs and iPod control through the iPod's dock connector.

The manufacturers of these head units always say it's fully digital audio.

For the majority of car audio head units doing iPod through USB the audio signal is digital . For AVRs just the opposite the audio signal is analog, except the Pioneer using USB like their car units. They all use a single IC produced by a Korean company called Telechip...

Just my $0.01..

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
What's an "AVR"?

Pioneer, Alpine, Sony, Kenwood and JVC all use USB with most of their head units to connect iPods.

·
Registered
5,215 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by IsLNdbOi /forum/post/18190811

What's an "AVR"?

Pioneer, Alpine, Sony, Kenwood and JVC all use USB with most of their head units to connect iPods.

Audio/Video Receiver

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I wonder why these companies use analog connections with their av receivers vs. all digital with their regular head units

·
Registered
2,135 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by IsLNdbOi /forum/post/18191974

I wonder why these companies use analog connections with their av receivers vs. all digital with their regular head units

Because many multi-zone AVRs can only use analog sources for the additional zones, maybe. Not to mention that it's simpler to work with. And perfect sound quality isn't usually a huge concern, anyway, from an iPod source.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I have a JVC AVX77. The standard connection for the iPod to this head unit is directly via USB. The AVX77 has a rear USB port and comes with a USB extension cable that you plug the iPod into w/ it's sync / charge cable.

I'm guess when connected this way, it's sending audio digitally.

To get album art to show and to play videos on the AVX77, you need this optional cable from JVC that connects to the iPod's dock connector on one end. The other end has a USB connector that plugs into the back of the AVX77 along with RCA red/white for audio and a yellow for composite video. I don't know why they send the audio via RCA audio vs. the USB connection with this cable / when getting album art and videos to play on the AVX77.

·
Registered
18,923 Posts
My guess is that many iPod docks are analog. No easy way to tell without having access to your receiver's service manual.

·
Registered
2,432 Posts
Using the digital output from the iPod requires incorporating a special "handshake" chip into the receiving device. In car audio, a big deal could be made about the interference-resistant digital connection, plus the USB could be used for thumb drives. But in home, generally nobody cares, and it is extra cost.

·
Registered
12,326 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by head_unit /forum/post/18201389

Using the digital output from the iPod requires incorporating a special "handshake" chip into the receiving device. In car audio, a big deal could be made about the interference-resistant digital connection, plus the USB could be used for thumb drives. But in home, generally nobody cares, and it is extra cost.

The chip you are referring to is an authenication IC but its purpose is primarily for video media as now the majority of music material is free of DRMs. As Apple & iTunes moves from a music fulfilment service to one of video, in order for the studios to release their video content they are requiring Apple to apply some type of copy protection. This is not a major issue for car head units as they largely are audio based, but it is for home theater AVRs. Also some of the video material from iTunes is actually in 720p but to date and to my knowldge only the latest HK AVRs (2600, 3600) can output this as HD through analog component video...

As I mentioned previously in this thread in their car audio headunits (OE and aftermarket), Pioneer, Alpine, Kenwood and Clarion are all using the telechip solution. As it provides USB input, WMA, MP3, AAC and direct iPod interface.

Just my $0.01..

1 - 14 of 14 Posts