AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I upgraded to XP today, and I was shocked at how easily it found all of the needed drivers. However, I now get audio "stuttering" (it cuts out for a split second every 5 to 10 seconds.)

I have a SoundBlaster Live 5.1 and a S/PDIF daughter card (don't remember the brand). This stuttering only occurs in S/PDIF (5.1) mode, in stereo it's fine. WinDVD 2.8, 3.0 and Power DVD all stutter (PowerDVD stutters in 2 channel).

Help, it's movie night tonight!!

Jeremy

·
Registered
664 Posts
I have a similar problem. MS put a new version of Creative's driver into Windows Update last night, I'm hoping it helps.

Sometimes when you play a scene, the audio will be "choppy". The only way to fix it is to pause/unpause.

Also verify that your dvd-rom is in DMA mode - on my machine it refused to enable DMA on the VIA controller for the DVD. Fortunally my board has a 2nd Promise controller that worked OK.

·
Registered
3,496 Posts
Check your IRQ's as well - I was afraid this might happen when I saw the XP was built on Windows 2K. Studder usually means one of 2 things either some hardware is too slow and can't keep up (DMA) or something is interupting a service (IRQ).

·
Registered
101 Posts
Oh dear, the XP saga starts............................

·
Registered
3,102 Posts
Even though XP is the latest and greatest, I would suggest that most people wait a few months before upgrading. Leave the production testing to the large corporations and have MS iron out the bugs. This from my cousin, one of the programmers at MS.

·
Registered
3,496 Posts
Sorry, but most large corporations and IS shops are not going to do this. All of the business that I have worked for have the attitude that they are not test beds. Most either wait 6 months or until after the first service pack (yes I know, xp would be second service pack since SP1 predates release). Others go one full version behind. I work at a place that is still using NT4 at it's main client platform.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.