AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Marantz SR5008 receiver. Today I bought a Sony S5100 Blu Ray player. My intention is to use it to replace my CD player, my ROKU, and my DVD player. It works great minus one problem:

When I play a CD on the Blu Ray player, after anywhere from 10 to 60 seconds, there is a slight hiccup or stutter (occurs about ~2/3 times I put in a CD). Basically the sound cuts out for less than a second. I find it very disorienting when I just getting into a tune. After this it works great.

I initially thought I had a defective player, so I returned it for another. No difference. I updated the firmware on the Sony Blu Ray player, but not the Marantz yet since it's not hooked up to the Internet. I've looked over the settings on the Marantz carefully, but I don't know what would make a difference. Oh, and the problem occurs even when I have it in "pure direct." The receiver functioned fine before this, but I was not using the HDMI input till I connected the Blu Ray.

Other than update the Marantz firmware, which I will do once I get a longer ethernet cable, is there anything I can try? Does this sound familiar to anyone?

I really appreciate any help with this.

·
The Village Idiot
9,714 Posts
You don't state how you are sending the signal to the Marantz. I'm guessing its via HDMI. If the dvd player has analog out try that.

Reactions: Greenwood Ave

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knucklehead90  /t/1521827/audio-stutters-playing-cd-on-sony-blu-ray-player-through-marantz-receiver#post_24462077

You don't state how you are sending the signal to the Marantz. I'm guessing its via HDMI. If the dvd player has analog out try that.

My new Blu Ray player is currently connected to the Marantz via HDMI. It does not have an RCA analog out.

I think, though, that my problem is moot. Unless I'm mistaken, I'm now understanding my receiver can't send an HDMI audio input to Zone 2. This seems odd to me, but I suspect there's a good reason for this. (Is this standard in most receivers?) Anyway, I need my tunes while cooking dinner, so my CDP is taken off Craigslist and hooked up again. The Blu Ray player is still worth it, I suppose, for all the other stuff it does.

·
The Village Idiot
9,714 Posts
Mid-range priced AVRs are just now beginning to send digital signals to zones on a few models. Your Marantz does not have that feature - only analog can be sent to zones. I expect that feature will migrate down to lower priced AVRs much like networking has in the last few years.

Reactions: Greenwood Ave
1 - 4 of 4 Posts