AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I'm currently setting up some 4 small TV's in zone 1 where my home theatre is located. I have a main LED Samsung installed and everything is hooked up to my Onkyo receiver and 5.1 setup. Putting in 4 32 inch Samsung TV's (2 on each side of main Samsung) and already have power run to them and there is plenty of cat5 for each tv in the wall for the audio. All 5 TV's will be connected via a DTV Genie solution. Main TV is hard connected to the main Genie box, then the 4 small TV's get a mini genie (which is connected via hdmi to each individual 32" Samsung.

So what I think I want to do is be able to switch to the audio on one of the 32 inch TV's easily if I desire to. I need an audio switch for that I believe so I can pop over to one of them to listen in if I want without switching it over to the main tv or listen thru the tv speakers only.

Can anyone recommend a respectable switch to handle the audio so it will flow thru my receiver and both my zones? Really appreciate any recommendations on the equipment.

haven't thought about how I'm going to change the channels on each tv...I assume they r all RF so will use each mini Genie's remote to do that for now. Thanks again.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I am just throwing this idea out there as I have not tried it and not sure if it will do what you want or even work correctly. Could you buy digital coax cables for audio and take them from the genie minis and put them in different inputs on the Onkyo? I think you can keep the same video output assigned through all the inputs so the main TV does not switch to the small TV input, only the audio is switched.

I am using the Atlona AT-COMP-88M component matrix I bought at a really good price but it is currently at $1200. I have one digital coax from this matrix to an input on my Onkyo and I change the input of the Atlona to the TV I want to hear.

As far as the remote controls, I know the older directv boxes can be set up to receive 6 distinct IR commands. I have 6 boxes and each has their own IR command so even if I am pointing to all of them, only the one I want to change changes. I recently upgraded to the Genie and Minis but I have not gotten that far yet with my installation to know if they have the same capability. I also use commands via IP through my home automation program to change the channels as well.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Olag, I think there is a lower cost switch solution but that Altona looks nice. Yes have to run 2 coax per tv. My rack is right by these TV's so not far to go which is nice. Thanks.

·
Registered
10,873 Posts
Yeah, just run the digital or analog audio outputs from EVERY DirecTV box to the AVR. If you run the Genie's HDMI directly to the TV (or maybe run the component video so you have a parallel connection), you can easily switch the audio source with the AVR, while the TV remains on the Genie.

Jeff

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Can't find an edit button to edit my previous post. Sorry, there is no coax from the minis.. I am using cat5 because it's a short distance and is noise cancelling and low voltage is needed only. If it was high voltage then would use coax. So this is a cat5, audio balun (1 pair each tv), and a switch type setup. Just curious about some recommendations on switches if anyone has. Thanks.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts