AVS Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Back in 2010 I purchased a  Samsung UN55C6500  TV. I'd been running a 2.0 setup via optical to a receiver for most of its life without any issues.

Recently I purchased a Yamaha HTR-7065 , hoping to upgrade to a 5.1 setup. I have everything connected with HDMI through the receiver. When playing Blu Ray discs from my PS3, there is a noticeable sound sync issue. The manual for the receiver talks about support for an HDMI auto sync correction solution of some sort, but I don't think my TV supports that. It doesn't support ARC either.

Some suggestions say to connect the PS3 directly to the TV and use the optical output to the receiver for sound. When I go that route, there aren't any sync issues, but I can't seem to get anything but 2.0 sound. 

I can correct the issue manually in the receiver by setting the delay to 200 ms, but when I try to watch other content with the same device (for instance, Amazon Instant), the audio is no longer in sync. This suggests that setting a fixed delay and forgetting it won't be possible.

I am considering purchasing a new TV for this and other reasons. The current top contenders are the Samsung F8000 and F9000 series. Should I expect either of these TVs to exhibit the same issue when used in combination with my new receiver? 

Thanks in advance. Sorry if this isn't the right place - I thought about posting this in the receiver forum, but the potential for it to turn into a TV purchase advice thread led me to place it here.

EDIT: Whoops! Fixed the link syntax.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Many of the AVR units do a pretty good job dealing with the video but processing time by the TV makes the video lag the audio becuse you're taking the audio out before sending the signal on to the TV. The original setup, taking the audio from the TV by optical is the best way and will eliminate sync problemsregardless of the source.

·
Registered
3,264 Posts
From comments I've read, most TV's won't pass anything but 2 channel sound from its optical output if the source is coming from its HDMI inputs. That you'll only get DD5.1 if using the TV's tuner.

I've always had audio sync issues, even going back to my old 27" CRT TV. Actually my wife has issues because she does a decent job of reading lips & notices when picture & sound are not in sync. The bigger the TV screen the bigger the lip movements & therefore more noticeable. There may be a fixed delay due to the TV's processing the video, but the sync also seems to vary with content and source. I use my A/V receiver to adjust the sync but since we've had our latest & biggest TV the sync is more difficult to adjust. That being said I myself hardly ever notice a sync problem unless it's way off.

My new AVR has an auto sync feature but my new TV does not so I'm frequently manually changing the sync. If the TV had auto sync I'm just guessing the system would use a fixed audio delay based on how much the TV delayed the sound. After all, how would it know your Amazon's sound is delayed differently than your Blu-ray discs? As you mentioned, setting & forgetting a fixed delay may not work.

If you find out that TVs with auto sync somehow work with AVRs that have auto sync to constantly vary the sync please post what you have found. I could use a miracle solution.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts