AVS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello I just purchased an 80 inch Sharp Aquos TV from Costco (LC-80LE633U). I would like to add a better sound system to this TV. i do not know anything about home theater systems, sound bars, etc. Can anyone provide me a recommendation for a sound system. I have looked at Bose, samsung, etc and do not know what to buy. I am looking to spend about $500 on the system. I will add a bluray player as well so another 150 or so for that. I have read that a whole system (DVD, speakers, etc) is not a good idea as you can buy each separate for a better system? If anyone could provide a recommendation I would appreciate it.

Thanks

·
Banned
14,420 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkatom  /t/1468320/audio-system-help#post_23204643

Hello I just purchased an 80 inch Sharp Aquos TV from Costco (LC-80LE633U). I would like to add a better sound system to this TV. i do not know anything about home theater systems, sound bars, etc. Can anyone provide me a recommendation for a sound system. I have looked at Bose, samsung, etc and do not know what to buy. I am looking to spend about $500 on the system. I will add a bluray player as well so another 150 or so for that. I have read that a whole system (DVD, speakers, etc) is not a good idea as you can buy each separate for a better system? If anyone could provide a recommendation I would appreciate it.

Thanks

"A whole system" is usually what is referred to as HTIB - Home Theater In a Box. This product has a poor reputation with audiophiles because it represents a pre-packaged choice while audiophile entertain themselves by agonizing over choices. It also has a poor reputation because particularly at the low end, a lot of compromises must and are made,

Sound bars are fairly close to being HTIB repackaged in an entirely unfamiliar way with no AVR (receiver) component, which is the centerpiece of an audiophile sound system, even visible. They also typically eliminate the perceived need for surround speakers.

That all said, some people do get what they perceive to be satisfying sound from both AVRs and Sound Bars. Both products, particularly the sound bar sacrifice flexibility and potential upward expansion and upgrades. I guess one question is whether or not you see this purchase as your last purchase of its kind for a number of years. Then and only then would a HTIB or a sound bar be a possibility for you.

Assembling a 5.1 component system for $650 is pretty challenging. One effective approach is to instead assemble a 2.0 or 2.1 system which can give you gigantically upgraded sound quality as compared to your basic TV set, cheap HTIB or sound bar.

With a little creativity I've been able to obtain nice BD (Blue Ray) players for about $100. My last such purchase was a Panasonic BD 115 for $110 as a refurb from Walmart's web site. This is a very functional device with built in network and even WiFi support.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Panasonic-Refurbished-DMP-BDT215-3D-Blu-ray-Disc-Player-with-Built-in-WiFi/21020407

One can obtain a good 5.1 AVR made by one of the first trier manufacturers (Denon, Onkyo, Pioneer, Yamaha) for under $200-250. Less if you are willing to go the refurb route which in my experience is essentially zero risk.

Here is a web site with more than average good deals on AVRs:

http://www.accessories4less.com/index.php?page=item&id=DENAVR1513&gclid=CIDKlK7BzLYCFQsy4AodICoAwA

For front main speakers you need to stick around $100 each, and this seems like your best bet today:

http://www.walmart.com/ip/19479011?wmlspartner=wlpa&adid=22222222227000000000&wl0=&wl1=g&wl2=&wl3=21486607510&wl4=&wl5=pla&veh=sem

That leaves just the subwoofer:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16882290130

$150 - AVR

$220 main speakers

$200 subwoofer

$110 BD player

Still under $700 which is pretty close to your $650 budget.

When money allows, you can pick up center and surround speakers, but this system will do you proud when you hook it up and listen to it. Loud if you want it, clean sound!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sir,

Thank you very much for the detailed information below it was very informative. I did have one question. You mentioned the front speakers and provided a link to Wal-Mart. It appears the speakers come in a set of two for the 110 price, is that correct? If so are you saying I should get two sets for a total of 4 as the price you provided was 220 for the front speakers? If the price is only 110 for both that frees up some money so should I purchase the center speaker? If so do you have any recommendations?

Thanks

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.