AVS Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I am new here and need some help picking out parts and pieces for a sound system for my bedroom. I am considering a 3.1 or 5.1 channel sound system and need some help deciding on which to get and what brands/models to get. I plan to hook up the system to my TV, monitor/desktop/xbox, and my laptop/phone for music occasionally. I have pretty much no knowledge of audio stuff. I may try to hook it all up myself or have a professional do it if I can afford it.

For starters, my budget is $1000 for everything. Some restrictions are that I can't do any damage to walls or anything (no wall/ceiling mouting or runnings wires through the walls).

I have a wall-mounted 60'' TV with a dresser right in front of it which is where most of the equipment will likely sit. I really would like 5.1 as opposed to 3.1, but I can't imagine where I would put surround speakers in my room. On one side of the bed, there is my current gaming set-up with 2 monitors and xbox+PC. On the other side, there is a narrow walkway to get to the bathroom.

As far as listening goes, I will either sit in front of the dresser (gaming on monitor) or sit on my bed (movies/cable/netflix). So, everything is centered for a 3.1 system and I can put the subwoofer to the left of the dresser. I would also like some opinions/advice on making a 5.1 system work. Also, need some advice on companies or specific models to shop for.

Thanks a lot guys! I can upload pictures if necesary, just not now. Thanks again!

·
Registered
42 Posts
Hey qwerty,

Im pretty new here myself and have the same situation as you. Although I did have a much lower budget than you have right now.

Since this is what I have, I would suggest:

AVR - Yamaha RX-V373 ($150)
L/R FRONTS - Infinity Primus P363 (frys sometimes have them on-sale 99$ each or but often for $199)
CENTER - JBL Loft 20 ($50), or Infinity Primus PC351 ($199)

I have an old subwoofer (Harman Kardon SUB-TS2) so, that i think its best if you search on that.

Otherwise, expert members here suggested the EMP Bookshelves, Mirage Omni, and Philharmonics audio Affordable Accuracy Monitors.

If you need to read more, here's a link to my thread.
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/89-speakers/1915121-dummy-here-need-advise-speakers.html

1 - 2 of 2 Posts