AVS Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Banned
724 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,been awhile since i came to avsforums.

Hope this is the right area to talk about some thing that been bothering me.

Okay,there's this tech show on justin.tv that's called "thetechbuzz". This host was talking about the oppo player and he said for $899? who would even buy that just to watch movies? any how this guy always say's this, Who even needs a movie player when every thing is going digital downloads. so i typ in his chat to stand up for us audio geeks and i said,us home theater geeks will buy it. and he went off the wall lol. but why do geeks talk about bad stuff about our audio hobby? they should have some respect. here's a link to his podcast if the admin doesn't mind. http://thetechbuzz.net/live

·
Registered
5,454 Posts
the only "geeks" who actually believe digital downloads are as good as actual blu-ray source DVD's are those with huge, fast data pipes into their house - paid for by someone else (their employer or sponsor).

There will come a time when all that marketing hype may be true, but only when our data infrastructure can handle the absolutely huge data back-haul required to have millions of homes all watching digital downloads with thousands of different sources and start times. And every home will be paying $100 or more a month to watch programing that was free "over-the-air" or a one time cost of a blu-ray DVD, or heaven forbid, a one-time rental.

·
Banned
625 Posts
Like the first poster said,it will come to digital downloads.

But,you don't have to worry so much about that. Because most audiophiles prefer video and audio quality over mp3 or even video compression. It'll be awhile for all media disks will go away.

·
Registered
595 Posts
The Oppo unit you're referring to is the BDP-83SE ($899). The regular BDP-83 is only $499. And the higher priced Special Edition (SE) version is not aimed at video fans. It has exactly the same Bluray capability as the standard Oppo BDP-83. The SE version is aimed at audiophiles. And not just any audiophiles either. Only those audiophiles who intend to use the player's 2 channel or 7.1 channel analog outputs. When you hook up to those outputs, you take advantage of the state of the art DACS in the player rather than the DACs in your receiver. That's what you're paying the extra $400 for. The 2 channel outputs have ESS DAC's stacked 4 per channel for superior signal to noise stats. The 7.1 analog outputs have another completely separate 8 channel ESS DAC. The SE version also has an upgraded power supply with more robust discrete components. I got one for Christmas and I thought it was a bargain at $899. And BTW, the Oppo is one of the fastest players on the market when it comes to handling any kind of disc including Bluray.

·
Banned
724 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
didn't knew there was a $499 oppo!

But i still don't think this guy likes old tech,i mean u guy's have to watch him some times. I guess i need to send and e-mail and tell the truth why oppo are so expensive and why blu-rays are still around. u think that's a good idea? tell u the truth he sounds like a newbie lol

·
Banned
20,735 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDigitalGuy05 /forum/post/18258412

didn't knew there was a $499 oppo!

But i still don't think this guy likes old tech,i mean u guy's have to watch him some times. I guess i need to send and e-mail and tell the truth why oppo are so expensive and why blu-rays are still around. u think that's a good idea? tell u the truth he sounds like a newbie lol

Uh,to be frank, you sound like the noobie to me.

$499 is quite affordable for a top-of-the-line BD player, particularly a universal player with quite a lot of features. There are many blu-ray players many times that price, and it's taken several years for blu-ray players even to come down in price such that they are available for only a few hundred dollars or less. Keep in mind that the very first BD and HD-DVD players were essentially just massive computers with a disc drive, the amount of processing power required to handle BD's AVC and VC-1 codecs and high-res audio is no joke, hence the pricetags.

Second, BD is still a relatively new format, and the reason it is still around is because it offers vastly improved performance over standard-definition DVD, and also offers far superior performance than other HD delivery methods such as HD cable/sat/broadcast, and HD streaming services.

But acting surprised that someone would pay $899 for a device that would allow you to watch movies seems to me like you don't know much at all about home-theater. There are a lot of people who spend tens of thousands or hundreds or hundreds of thousands of dollars on a home-theater, and $899 for a single component is in some circles just chump change. People spent a great deal more than that just on DVD playback, and some people still do.

·
Registered
65 Posts
You may feel a GPS enabled Breitling watch is absurd and no one would pay 6 figures for one. For that price you can buy a house or many cars. Yet Richard Branson and his buddies bought them. The podcaster may feel a $900 BluRay player is not worthwhile and his money could be better spent on $900 of cheese puffs. You feel differently. There is a market for everything and the podcaster is not the target market of that BluRay player because he does not see the value. Just as you are not the target market for that watch as you don't see 6 figures of value in it.

The podcaster is right and things are moving toward digital download of movies. This is similar to how CDs are being replaced by mp3s. Even though I have mp3s I still like some of my music played with DVD Audio and SACD. An mp3 can't replace the full sounds I get with SACD. The podcaster may feel an HD download is enough for his needs. Yet you want the full experience of a BluRay movie. Just because the general population is moving toward digital download doesn't mean BluRay is going away. The general population moved to mp3s and I still keep some things on SACD.

I don't think one persons opinion is any reason to get worked up where you write "why do geeks talk about bad stuff about our audio hobby? they should have some respect" and "I need to send and e-mail and tell the truth why oppo are so expensive and why blu-rays are still around." Who cares what one guy says on a podcast as long as you enjoy your BluRay player & movies?

And really, what "truth" are you going to tell him to change his mind? Enjoy your BluRay and forget about the podcaster.

·
Banned
20,735 Posts
I mean, when I first started out I spent almost $2,000 building a computer for DVD playback because I didn't want to (and couldn't) spend $20,000 to do it with standalone video processing equipment.

To be able to do that kind of video processing, on a much more advanced level, and with FAR better content that is FAR more intensive to decode for under a thousand dollars is actually still pretty mind-boggling. That it can be done for a couple hundred bucks, or less for some of the cheapest BD players out there right now, is simply amazing.

·
Banned
625 Posts
Okay, hd movies either on itunes or net flex there highly compress and that means loss in video quality. so for now i'll stick with cd - blu ray disks. because i want that quality! what about poor people that can't afford internet? and can't view digital downloads on dialup! there just gonna leave them in the dust? This is the best thread i saw yet lol (sarcastic)

·
Banned
625 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by AvGeek07 /forum/post/18261311

Okay, hd movies either on itunes or net flex there highly compress and that means loss in video quality. so for now i'll stick with cd - blu ray disks. because i want that quality! what about poor people that can't afford internet? and can't view digital downloads on dialup! there just gonna leave them in the dust? This is the best thread i saw yet lol (sarcastic)

Eh? i spent at lease 600 on my media pc,and it play's dvd's / blue ray just fine with no slow down. so why spend 2 k on a pc?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts