AVS Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,583 Posts
Unless you are running ridiculously long cables...like greater than 100 feet you will see no difference between monoprice cables and monster cables. You will save a ton of money and they are great to work with.

·
Registered
2,328 Posts
The biggest difference between the 'high end' cables and monoprice et al, is the quality of the connector......the connector is not worth the big$$ difference IMO.

I have had good luck with Monoprice and cables to go equipment. Just watch out for those really cheap cables with crappy connectors.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Are monoprice cables good for all audio and video? I'm needing to get hdmi, digital coaxial, optical, component, should I get it all from monoprice or would monster be a better choice for some of these?

·
Registered
712 Posts
sambao,

I've used component, HDMI, and both coax and optical S/PDIF all from monoprice and never had a problem. I think I bought 6' and 12' cables and they all worked just great, but I have no idea about something like a 50'-100' run for example.

Keep in mind that regarding the urban myths about cables that even if there were truly a significant difference, this difference would not apply the same to digital signals. It's not hard to believe that a shoddy cable could mess with an analog signal and change some levels, etc. but with a stream of 1's and 0's they're either going to make it down the line or they aren't (we're talking very generically here, not looking for an in depth argument).

I've always found it amusing that (for example) you'll read the back of a monster cable intended for digital audio transmission and it will claim to alter the sound as it travels through the cable bringing out the clearest highs and/or the deepest bass, etc. etc. etc. I'd surely love one of their electrical engineers to explain to me what type of inline DSP they've installed in the cable to achieve such a phenomenal feat!

·
Registered
57 Posts
I ordered the monsterbass 300 subwoofer cable from Amazon because I didn't see a similar item on monoprice. But today, I see that the audio cables on monoprice all say subwoofer. Should I have gotten this from monoprice? Amazon has already shipped my order, so I think it's too late to refuse the package and return it.

·
Registered
843 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sambao21 /forum/post/0

I ordered the monsterbass 300 subwoofer cable from Amazon because I didn't see a similar item on monoprice. But today, I see that the audio cables on monoprice all say subwoofer. Should I have gotten this from monoprice? Amazon has already shipped my order, so I think it's too late to refuse the package and return it.

The digital coaxial cables from monoprice work great, that's what I'm running at 25'. You can still return the item, they'll just take the shipping charges off of your refund. Even if you do that, you'll still be saving money! I'ld return it if I were you.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Why do you see people in the av industry and audiophiles as well praise the high priced cables by nordost, audioquest, transparent, etc. How do you convince people who have spent thousands of dollars on amps and procesors/receivers/preamps to use monoprice cable and tell them that there will be no noticeable difference? I use monoprice too and found no problems at all. Is the perceived difference a placebo effect or are they real? Never had a chance to really listen to the high end ones. Monster M series and MIT had no discernable difference with monoprice.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Why do they? I would put the simple answer at "Because they can."

Others may have a different opinion, but hype and marketing has a huge effect on consumers in every sector every day.

Many people don't have time, or can't be bothered to do any research and assume they are getting the straight goods from sales people.

imho

Jay

Quote:
Originally Posted by brishea /forum/post/0

Why do you see people in the av industry and audiophiles as well praise the high priced cables by nordost, audioquest, transparent, etc. How do you convince people who have spent thousands of dollars on amps and procesors/receivers/preamps to use monoprice cable and tell them that there will be no noticeable difference? I use monoprice too and found no problems at all. Is the perceived difference a placebo effect or are they real? Never had a chance to really listen to the high end ones. Monster M series and MIT had no discernable difference with monoprice.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.