AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone experiencing 1 to 2 second simultaneous dropouts of both picture and sound occurring only at bright flashes of light on the screen (as from explosions & flashbulbs, and occurring between screens of many commercials and movie & TV previews) ?

This occurs only with the Toshiba Satellite STB (DirecTV) feeding only the high definition input of the TV (Direct view), and occurs on both high definition and standard definition program material. It does not occur on the standard definition TV inputs.

Interestingly, the dropouts appear to originate in the TV, as the audio from the Satellite receiver remains on (as monitored through an external audio amplification system) when the TV picture drops out.

If anyone has had the same problem, or has an idea of what the exact cause may be, I'd very much appreciate some feedback.

·
Registered
3,029 Posts
ronmusser,

That's a big problem, to say the least, unfortunately. I have the same great TV and we seem to be a fairly rare breed, so I wish I could help you. Parenthetically, I'm curious as to why you didn't go with the new Sony HD STB since it might be a more synergistic match than the Toshiba?

Good luck.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Wow...have you guys been reading any of the posts on the Sampo 34" 16:9 TV? This very problem apparently plagues the Sampo as well.

I have the Sampo and it seemed to be working fine until I got my iScan Pro for use on my cable, N64, and DVD sources. When I got the iScan Pro I popped in Dinosaur and in the scene where the meteors are falling, there is one scene where a meteor strikes and the screen if filled with bright white smoke...my Sampo dropped the picture for about 2 seconds and then returned. I started investigating with other movies and found that the problem occurred during, as you said, bright flashes. At first I thought it was the iScan until I tried it out with my PC monitor and it worked fine.

Anyway, there are several people who post to the forum that have the same problem I do...and from different sources...some with the iScan, some with different progressive DVD players, and with HDTV receivers. After talking with Sampo they claim that it is not really a fault of the TV, but rather that the source components are going slightly "out of sync" when they produce bright flashes and this causes the TV to shut down or go into standby mode for some reason (I wasn't entirely clear on their explanation).

Anyway, this problem annoys the HELL out of me. Shouldn't they have tested out their TV with various common progressive sources before they went into production??

Aaron

·
Registered
135 Posts
I have a 34HD1 and occasionally see the problem with bright flashing causing video AND audio to blank briefly when viewing HDTV recordings of CSI and The Fugitive with a Panasonic PV-HD1000/TU-DST51 combo. Live with the Sony's tuner, I don't see any dropouts on the same programs. I recently acquired a newer TU-DST51 which is MUCH less prone to this problem. your problem is likely the STB not your monitor.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I have this problem with a Sampo 34" (480 progressive direct input from toshiba 5109 dvd)-posted it a few months ago. Sampo is sending a new card to try with a wider sync (? or something like that-my roomate is doing all the dealing with sampo). We've also wondered if it is the 12' component cables that we got cheap (around $50). I'll post results with the card (should have card this weekend).

·
Registered
9 Posts
I get the same problem with a DST3000 & a Sony XBR61. Movies on HBO HD are the most common culprit. Usually explosions in action movies bring it on. I haven't seen it on the OTA HD yet. The TV will flash "1080i" in the corner like it does when I change inputs.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.