AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm using ZP Pro/ffdshow/dscaler and reclock. Normally I run with the Intervideo video and audio filters, use overlay mode, ffdshow resize and reclock with the display set at 72hz vertical for film based DVD's. In this mode everything works just fine, but if I change from overlay to VMR9 mode in ZP Pro (only change) the video slowly starts falling behind the audio beyond the 30ms that I can delay the audio. Each time you re-start the DVD (at any point) they are in sync and then video slowly starts slipping.

I have VSYNC enabled for both Overlay and VMR9 modes in reclock, reclock is showing green status with no significant drops or other odd behavior.

ZP Pro is latest release version, ffdshow is 20030927 and reclock is 1.2 version. Anyone with an idea of what the cause or fix for this might be?

--Bill

·
Registered
189 Posts
Your computer is not fast enough for a VMR9 configuration. VMR9 is more demanding on the cpu than overlay. Disable some filters in ffdshow, you will see that the video and audio will sync again. I had this exactly problem, then upgraded my cpu to a p4-3Ghz and all is well. =)

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks.

I'm only using the ffdshow resize function (1440x810, lanczos at 2.0), and the processor hovers around 53% throughout. With overlay it is about 45%. This is a P4 2.8Ghz w/1Gb RAM (Intel 865 board & chipset), hyperthreading enabled.

Though I haven't tried it with no resize, I have added picture properties and dscaler sharpen with no apparent degradation in performance and no noticeable increase in cpu.

Any other thoughts?

--Bill

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
bblue,

There are several other options in Reclock 1.2. Try playing with those. I believe that DirectSound device option for MPGE2 is hardware assisted route where your sound card will help with sound decoding. If you have sound card you should probably use this option. Also, I checked option to sync at fixed film DVD frame rate as opposed to auto-detect or other modes. I left other options at default settings if I remember correctly. This worked perfectly even with my old 2.53 Ghz 533 FSB machine with PC 2100 RAM that was going to about 90-100% CPU with all the FFDShow goodies on.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm doing straight SPDIF passthrough, so I don't believe the other soundcard options are relevant. I have played with various reclock options but nothing seems to make a bit of difference.

I haven't tried lowering the resize resolution, though. I really wanted to keep that at my screen size to keep the video card hardware out of the formula.

I noticed something else on this, though. The sound and video start off right in sync and over the next 5 minutes or so the video falls behind. BUT once it reaches about 50 ms behind it stays there. So it's not an ongoing gradual drift -- once it reaches that certain place it stays there. What does that suggest?

--Bill

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
Not sure what is going on either. Regarding SPDIF passthrough, that was what I was doing as well. WaveOut did not work properly in pass through, only DirectSound did. I think you need hardware assistance regardless of the output mode. I really do not know why is 50 ms the magic number. I had a lots of problems before I found my sweet spot.

It looks like every setup no matter how similar, is still a separate story. I guess that is why HTPC is so interesting and frustrating.

Regards,

Vlad

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.