AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The audio portion of DVD's does not quite synch up with the video. Is there a way to correct this? I have a rock+ with SDI, an immersive mod dvd player, and a B&K preamp.

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
Richard,

Unfortunately,B&K products generally don't have A/V sync delay controls. I ended up moving from a B&K AVR202 to separates due to the lip sync introduced by my video processor. It was driving me crazy.

If you search under lip sync you will find some work arounds that were just to impracticle for 5.1 channel sources. Vigatec is supposed to have a box to handle this but rumored pricing made a better pre-pro a better option. I believe that the Proceed DVD player has an lip sync adjustment and Immersive has an SDI card for the Proceed PMDT unit. Even with a used Proceed,it is a costly option.

Sorry I don't have any good news for you,

Dave

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
Richard,

I use the center channel delay on my DSP-A1 to resolve the lip-sync issue with my Rock+ w/SDI. Works perfectly!

·
Registered
679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks--any recommendations on the amount of delay in MS. I have also heard that you can use callibration disks to set this up--any recommendations?

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
I didn't use a test disc for this, just ran some DVD comparisons till I found the proper setting for my situation. Turned out that 2ms was perfect for me. YMMV

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
Just changing center channel dealy,if a significant amount,will throw off the coherency of your soundfield by mismatching speaker signals. I'm using about a 54msec delay BTW so as stated YMMV.

Test DVD: Avia use the bounce test under special video patterns. This is good for gross adjustments and then fine tune with movie dialogue that has a close-up of the actor's face.

·
Banned
1,451 Posts
Interesting post.I can't say that i have noticed this lip sync problem with my Rock Plus since changing to a new Technics DVD-A10 DVD player.I definately had the lip sync problems with my older DVD player.I will take a closer look tonight though.Have Leeza owners also noticed this problem ? I know this can also happen with scalers but the main culpret at least in my case was not the scaler but the DVD player.

·
Registered
679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
interesting enough I have the A10 also and I have noticed it as well as a guest has noticed it. Then again I have a 120" screen so everything is noticeable

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
Tom,

It isn't very noticeable, but I have employed the use of center channel delay with every video processor I have ever used (DVDO iScan, Crystal Image, Rock+). The DVDO I had to use the most ever 5ms, and the Crystal Image and Rock+ both came in at 2ms.

Most don't even notice the lip-sync not syncing perfectly...this is for the anal retentive videophile folks (myself included);)

·
Banned
1,451 Posts
Hi Darren,I'm watching a movie right now trying to detect a delay and it is quite difficult to do so.Maybe 1 to 2 ms at the most in my case.Oddly enough it seems the digital output seems very close to right on w/maybe 1ms delay the optical output seems like just a bit more at maybe 1.5ms.This is going to require further testing it seems.The closer to the screen and center channel the less of a delay.

·
Banned
6,051 Posts
I have a Leeza and a B & K Ref 20. I really dont notice any delay and to be honest, I dont look for one. I sometimes see some really weird delays when watching directv (sat receiver audio goes through the B&K) especially when watching the network channels, though usually when watching the East Coast feeds (I live in LA). ABC seems to be the worst. In anycase, it really annoys me so if I do have any delay with the Leeza, either its really small or I ignore it

As mentioned before, the b & k Center does have a delay, but i think it maxes out at

20ms, which from what I read on this forum, is not a lot

·
Registered
354 Posts
I have a Rock+ and B+K Ref 20 Preamp. I have never previously noted a delay at all. Of course, now I will!

But seriously, it has not been an issue.

Did I say I love my Rock, BTW?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.