AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I read through the AVR FAQ’s and I’m starting to get a handle on some of this, but I am a bit confused on the video conversion process at the AVR (if any).


I have a Panasonic dmp-bd60 blu ray going to my Yamaha RV 465 via HDMI. Am I getting the best audio and video this way (for standard DVD and blu ray). In other words is my AVR equipped to pass the video to the TV properly => deinterlacing and scaling blu ray and standard DVD correctly? Would I get a better picture going straight to the TV (50S1 plasma) from the blu ray? Different AVR? I understand the blu ray player needs to be setup properly as well etc.. I guess I am unclear at what point does the receiver kick in to help the video portion (if at all) or is it all just automatic, and as long as the blu ray player is configed properly that is the key.


One reason I ask is looking at some of the “specs” between different brands / models some say “HDMI Up Conversion (with upscaling up to 1080p)”. The 465 doesn’t say that exactly, it says “1080p-compatible HDMI”. Is there a difference between this “verbage” or does any of this really matter (at this price point
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
22,522 Posts
Just be sure the AVR is set for "through" on all HDMI/video settings. The picture your TV receives is identical to the one the player sends. FWIW, the Yamaha cannot process any HDMI video, it just passes it through.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes /forum/post/18302794


Just be sure the AVR is set for "through" on all HDMI/video settings. The picture your TV receives is identical to the one the player sends. FWIW, the Yamaha cannot process any HDMI video, it just passes it through.

Thanks.


Am I correct in assuming the "pass thru" at the AVR is a good thing - the way you want it?


Then the audio portion is coded (MPCM) prior to being sent to the AVR? Again the way you want it?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
15,090 Posts
1080p upconversion is normally used to scale up non-HDMI standard-definition (480i) analog video input signals.


Modern digital TVs have to be able to scale all video input signals to match their actual screen resolutions. Receivers really don't need to include scalers, since the TV has to be able to do scaling anyhow. Selecting "pass through", or whatever the receiver calls it, may be appropriate.


However, the quality of the images produced by the various brands of scalers varies. Some receivers have better scalers than some TVs, and some people prefer to invest in high quality stand-alone scalers.


Whether you send PCM or bitstreamed audio to the receiver is up to you. There is no difference in the quality of the audio, although bitstreamed audio tends to be slightly louder (4db) than PCM from the same Blu-ray disc.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selden Ball /forum/post/18306179


1080p upconversion is normally used to scale up non-HDMI standard-definition (480i) analog video input signals.


Modern digital TVs have to be able to scale all video input signals to match their actual screen resolutions. Receivers really don't need to include scalers, since the TV has to be able to do scaling anyhow. Selecting "pass through", or whatever the receiver calls it, may be appropriate.


However, the quality of the images produced by the various brands of scalers varies. Some receivers have better scalers than some TVs, and some people prefer to invest in high quality stand-alone scalers.


Whether you send PCM or bitstreamed audio to the receiver is up to you. There is no difference in the quality of the audio, although bitstreamed audio tends to be slightly louder (4db) than PCM from the same Blu-ray disc.

Thanks.



So then, the different AVR brands / models that say “HDMI Up Conversion (with upscaling up to 1080p)” or “1080p-compatible HDMI” doesn't really mean anything as the blu ray (DMP DP60 in my case) will perform any and all scaling/up-converting anyway (strictly referencing blu ray to a modern AVR)? The main point here is that you want to send your audio and video from the blu ray thru the AVR (pass thru) using HDMI, no?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
15,090 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cravio /forum/post/18308661


Thanks.



So then, the different AVR brands / models that say HDMI Up Conversion (with upscaling up to 1080p) or 1080p-compatible HDMI doesn't really mean anything as the blu ray (DMP DP60 in my case) will perform any and all scaling/up-converting anyway (strictly referencing blu ray to a modern AVR)? The main point here is that you want to send your audio and video from the blu ray thru the AVR (pass thru) using HDMI, no?

Scalers in in different models of players differ in quality, too. (To be honest, though, most people don't notice the differences in the upscaling quality unless they're pointed out to them. Then they can't help but see them!)


Yes, sending the BD player's HDMI audio and video through the AVR makes it possible for the AVR to extract the high definition audio and play it through your speakers, while forwarding the high definition video to your display device.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selden Ball /forum/post/18327684


Scalers in in different models of players differ in quality, too. (To be honest, though, most people don't notice the differences in the upscaling quality unless they're pointed out to them. Then they can't help but see them!)


Yes, sending the BD player's HDMI audio and video through the AVR makes it possible for the AVR to extract the high definition audio and play it through your speakers, while forwarding the high definition video to your display device.

Thanks again.
 
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Top