AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it just a matter of time before all this becomes a computer box. Can you see the day that Audio and Video Manufacturers box their boards the way Sound Blaster and Ati/Nvidia do now. Preamps are already becoming more and more like a computer box with RS232 ports, boards and daughter cards, software upgrades etc.

I can see the whole PREAMP section becoming a computer with cards and software that you replace and upgrade. The video could probably be handled/switched by an ATI or NVIDIA card with the way these Video boards are being devised...the GPU's on these boards are quite something. I can't see the amplification being handled in this manner...or can it be? Bryston's 9B SST THX can be configured from 2 to 5 channels by sliding boards in and out.

Am I being naive/absurd or will this happen? Will it improve what we listen to and what we see. With an internet connection, a blazing fast one, we could probably download movies and never have to rent them again.

I guess I'm bored and couldn't think of anything to write.

Happy Holidays EVERYBODY :)

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
This is already happening.

Manufacturers such as Theta Digital and B&K already manufacture their products using slide in boards that can be easily upgraded.

Even more along these lines are the computer audio cards from Maudio that have 6ch analog outputs. You could quite litterally have a computer a monitor an amp and some speakers and have a complete home theater system.

Check out related threads on the HTPC forum for more info about these capabilities.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.