AVS Forum banner

381 - 400 of 474 Posts

·
Registered
403 Posts
Now that I have full Dirac bass management (and also Upmix) working w/o worrying about garbled sound, I spent some time doing an A/B (well, actually A/B/C). I found something I've never heard before... playing 2.0 material w/ full optimization or Upmix in Direct stereo I swear my center is on when sitting in the sweet spot. I can't convince myself it's not on, but, sure enough, it's not on (since I set the mode to stereo it shouldn't be). But, the imaging has improved w/ Upmix and full even over regular Dirac such that it's now impossible to tell. It's ever so slightly different than regular Dirac.

·
Registered
403 Posts
Thank you for contacting AudioControl. The X series processors will be upgradable when the 8K technology becomes available. Most likely it will be an in factory upgrade with the unit having to be sent in for upgrade.

Let us know if you have any additional questions.

Customer Service and Technical Support representatives are available Monday thru Friday 8am to 5pm PST. 425-775-8461.

Stephen C.
Customer Service & Technical Support
Its interesting that Arcam is saying, in a not-so-direct way, that the 2.1 upgrades will be for future products. It will be interssting to see if they actually offer this. However, I have no plans to upgrade my projector and sources to use 8k or 4k/120hz (to me, 24fps looks the best anyway for movies and I don't do gaming) and I think we are at the limits of effective screen resolutions for most home theaters and the audio bitrates don't need to go higher, I don't see why 2.1 is really needed (for me). The dynamic HDR may be neat though....

·
Registered
572 Posts
Discussion Starter #383
I started the update and it went through the steps of NET, OSD, DSP1 and 2, DAB, LCD, MCU. This took about 18 minuites. Then it turned back on and is now "on" but not responsive to anything including the front panel buttons (I am 25 minutes into the process). Is this normal?

EDIT: I called and it's not normal but not a serious problem, we resolved by just doing a hard reset. It's weird that it didn't complete normally on its own, however.
Now that I have full Dirac bass management (and also Upmix) working w/o worrying about garbled sound, I spent some time doing an A/B (well, actually A/B/C). I found something I've never heard before... playing 2.0 material w/ full optimization or Upmix in Direct stereo I swear my center is on when sitting in the sweet spot. I can't convince myself it's not on, but, sure enough, it's not on (since I set the mode to stereo it shouldn't be). But, the imaging has improved w/ Upmix and full even over regular Dirac such that it's now impossible to tell. It's ever so slightly different than regular Dirac.
Awesome! Sorry I was away from my computer but you got it resolved. DLBC is amazing! I do notice it sounds like the voices are coming from the center channel with two channel programing. Sounds like you are having a lot of fun with your new toy!

·
Registered
572 Posts
Discussion Starter #384
Its interesting that Arcam is saying, in a not-so-direct way, that the 2.1 upgrades will be for future products. It will be interssting to see if they actually offer this. However, I have no plans to upgrade my projector and sources to use 8k or 4k/120hz (to me, 24fps looks the best anyway for movies and I don't do gaming) and I think we are at the limits of effective screen resolutions for most home theaters and the audio bitrates don't need to go higher, I don't see why 2.1 is really needed (for me). The dynamic HDR may be neat though....
My quote came right from Steve's mouth. I to don't have any plans for 8K since I just bought a Sony native 4K projector.

·
Registered
403 Posts
Awesome! Sorry I was away from my computer but you got it resolved. DLBC is amazing! I do notice it sounds like the voices are coming from the center channel with two channel programing. Sounds like you are having a lot of fun with your new toy!

Yes I have found a new favorite setup for my 2 channel FLAC: neural X upmixing with DLBC is really hard to beat. I think Neural X is better than 1.37, even with Dirac (no upmix or bass control) and this is indendent of the DLBC observations. But then I switch back to digital stereo just to hear the phantom center channel... it's really a neat effect.
I did have one lockup with DLBC in 6 hours.

my next step is to try a cal with 1.41 w/ the Cross spectrum labs calibrated mic to see if I can better extend the lower end even further (as it's calibrated to 5Hz) and the JL's I have can easily go below 20Hz.

·
Registered
403 Posts
My quote came right from Steve's mouth. I to don't have any plans for 8K since I just bought a Sony native 4K projector.
I feel the same way, I bought a high end Sony SXRD in early 2019 and have no plans to upgrade. I bought a Sony SXRD rear projection around 2005 as a living room TV and still feel the picture was absolutely amazing, even if it was a bit "artificial". I had the projection unit replaced under the class action suit and it will still going strong, but the wife didn't like that it wasn't a flat screen in the bedroom. So, I got rid of it. But, ever since, I was hooked on SXRD.

Still, would be nice to see AC follow through on this. I guess we will have to wait.

·
Registered
179 Posts
For 2 channel FLAC, yes. That mode seems to put too much contents to the heights although I haven’t played with it that much.
My files are all AIFF, but that shouldn't make a difference, they're both lossless. A lot of users seem to feel that it's the height channels in Auromatic that create the realism that make that upmixer so compelling. Nothing wrong with a personal opinion, though. All of these pre/pros give several options. My hopes for L16 to be a compelling choice in the JBL have waned a bit, but maybe it turns out to be the "killer app" for that unit. Seems doubtful.

·
Registered
403 Posts
My files are all AIFF, but that shouldn't make a difference, they're both lossless. A lot of users seem to feel that it's the height channels in Auromatic that create the realism that make that upmixer so compelling. Nothing wrong with a personal opinion, though. All of these pre/pros give several options. My hopes for L16 to be a compelling choice in the JBL have waned a bit, but maybe it turns out to be the "killer app" for that unit. Seems doubtful.
I’ll give it another try but I wasn’t a fan of the large emphasis on the heights. I do see there are some settings for it which I haven’t played that much with yet.

·
Registered
403 Posts
@austin_avp
Sounds like you are glad you updated the firmware.
yes, so far so good. Just had the hiccup doing the update itself and I've had one crash due to what I think was DLBC after a few hours of use. I am not having the problems reported by others on the JBL or Arcam forums.

I also have to say that it is really great that you can call audio control directly and speak to someone live who knows what's going on within 3 minutes of picking up the phone. It's helpful in situations like the one I had yesterday where the FW update was doing something weird and I was hesitant to power cycle w/o talking to someone first.

·
Registered
3,874 Posts
I’ll give it another try but I wasn’t a fan of the large emphasis on the heights. I do see there are some settings for it which I haven’t played that much with yet.
I find Auro upmixing really variable depending on content. I actually like it for some TV audio and older 5.1 music but similar to you found it too aggressive for most stereo music.

Glad you're liking 1.41, for a while I thought I was the only one that was getting on well with that firmware.

·
Registered
403 Posts
I played with it again today and just not a fan. My 4 heights are SVS prime elevations driven by class D monoblocks, and the combination was/is good enough for occasional height sounds but I just don't think the setup does a good job w/ carrying that much content. Maybe if I had a beefier height setup more matched to the B&W 802d's I have, it would be a different story.

·
Registered
572 Posts
Discussion Starter #395
Dirac 3.0.9 is ready for download:
Release Notes – Dirac Live – Version 3.0.9
2020-10-07

Fixes
  • Fixes connection issue to miniDSP units introduced in Dirac Live 3.0.8.
  • Fix rare issue with normalization that could cause an incorrect subwoofer gain.
  • Make start of recording more robust. In rare situations the start of the recording was missing causing an incorrect result for the first speaker.

·
Registered
179 Posts
I played with it again today and just not a fan. My 4 heights are SVS prime elevations driven by class D monoblocks, and the combination was/is good enough for occasional height sounds but I just don't think the setup does a good job w/ carrying that much content. Maybe if I had a beefier height setup more matched to the B&W 802d's I have, it would be a different story.
Hmm, good to know. My heights will be Kef R100's (all speakers are various R-series) driven by an Outlaw 7000X. Hopefully they will be up to the task, but if not did you happen to find a setting that puts a little bit less of a burden on the heights while still sounding good? I'm guessing no?

·
Registered
403 Posts
Hmm, good to know. My heights will be Kef R100's (all speakers are various R-series) driven by an Outlaw 7000X. Hopefully they will be up to the task, but if not did you happen to find a setting that puts a little bit less of a burden on the heights while still sounding good? I'm guessing no?
I didn't, but will play more later. I am more of a purist when it comes to 2-channel audio, but then again the fact that I liked NeuralX upmixing surprised me, so maybe I'll eventually change my mind.

·
Registered
403 Posts
Dirac 3.0.9 is ready for download:
Release Notes – Dirac Live – Version 3.0.9
2020-10-07

Fixes
  • Fixes connection issue to miniDSP units introduced in Dirac Live 3.0.8.
  • Fix rare issue with normalization that could cause an incorrect subwoofer gain.
  • Make start of recording more robust. In rare situations the start of the recording was missing causing an incorrect result for the first speaker.
Just got my CSL calibrated mic, so I'll try a new full cal this weekend w/ 1.41 and 3.0.9 using the new Mic and cal file.

·
Premium Member
24,148 Posts
I found something I've never heard before... playing 2.0 material w/ full optimization or Upmix in Direct stereo I swear my center is on when sitting in the sweet spot. I can't convince myself it's not on, but, sure enough, it's not on (since I set the mode to stereo it shouldn't be).
I do notice it sounds like the voices are coming from the center channel with two channel programing. Sounds like you are having a lot of fun with your new toy!

Not to rain on your guys' parade, but I find these comments curious.

It's called phantom imaging and it's worked that way since the middle of the last century.

·
Registered
403 Posts
Not to rain on your guys' parade, but I find these comments curious.

It's called phantom imaging and it's worked that way since the middle of the last century.
Sure, but I didn’t get it with normal Dirac or with any other processor, at least not in such a convincing way. it’s obviously not an ‘invention’ or something new or specific to this processor. it’s an artifact that I’ve personally not experienced to that level on my system. It just means everything is really balanced.. to a point where where the effect is very noticeable

381 - 400 of 474 Posts