AVS Forum banner

401 - 420 of 474 Posts

·
Registered
29,209 Posts
I didn’t get it with normal Dirac or with any other processor, at least not in such a convincing way.
That's surprising. I've placed 2 crappy computer speakers on either side of my monitor and gotten convincing imaging at the middle of the screen. Yet to hear a processor (or any device) that messed up the phase enough to prevent phantom images from forming between a pair of speakers.

·
Registered
403 Posts
That's surprising. I've placed 2 crappy computer speakers on either side of my monitor and gotten convincing imaging at the middle of the screen. Yet to hear a processor (or any device) that messed up the phase enough to prevent phantom images from forming between a pair of speakers.
its more of a degree of how convincing it is, to me. I don’t know how to quantify it but the imaging is just better.

·
Premium Member
648 Posts
Just got my CSL calibrated mic, so I'll try a new full cal this weekend w/ 1.41 and 3.0.9 using the new Mic and cal file.
I'd love to see some basic measurements if you get the time, once you get the new Dirac calibration with your new mic (I received my CSL mic right before I received the JBL).

·
Registered
445 Posts
Have an XR-6 Coming this week to replace my current receiver...should be interesting. I've used the X7 with success but never in my own setup. I'm excited.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Hello, and thanks for the help...
I am running a 5.1.4 set up and I'm looking to move from an AVR to a processor + amps. Most of my use will be HT, probably something like 80/20 HT vs music.
Dirac, ARC, and Audyssey seem to be the big three when it comes to room correction software, but what I don't understand is why Dirac seems to get nod with most people? I ask that because it seems like Dirac has the largest number of issues. Are the issues more about the software or how the software plays with hardware?

Can you guys help me understand the pro\con of Dirac vs ARC and Audyssey?

Lastly, when it comes to Dirac, I'm considering Emotiva XMC-2, Monoprice HTP-1, and Audio Control X7 (if the price is right). What should I consider between the different manufactures? I'm trying to find that sweet spot of price vs performance.

I appreciate the help. thanks again.

·
Registered
403 Posts
As far as I know Dirac is one of the only one or 2 mainstream solutions that corrects for the impulse response AS WELL AS deploying FIR filtering. Doing this requires requires really tricky math and is difficult. There will always be opinions but generally Dirac has a really good result to most people’s ears. They constantly update the software and some of the problems you hear about Dirac aren’t always the fault of Dirac.
If you want the best stability get the monoprice. No questions asked. You’ll have zero fumbling and issues.

I had an rmc1 and auditioned the htp1 for one day and wound up with an x9. I can’t say how it differs from the x7. I posted some comparisons to my ears earlier between the rnc1 and x9 and htp1 for what it’s worth.
It seems obvious some people have trouble with the arcam derivatives including possibly to a smaller extent the audio control units. I’m having only minor issues.
I’ll never touch an emotiva again. Emotiva is a very polarizing brand. You either hate or love them. I started out indifferent and it got bad after a while, it blew out a subwoofer playing a dsd file and the Ethernet port never worked right, the list goes on.

Returning an audio control may be more difficult than the others if you want to do a demo in your home. I’d ask the dealer carefully up front. Returning an emotiva is easy and I’d have to believe the htp1 is the same way.

·
Registered
143 Posts
As far as I know Dirac is one of the only one or 2 mainstream solutions that corrects for the impulse response AS WELL AS deploying FIR filtering. Doing this requires requires really tricky math and is difficult. There will always be opinions but generally Dirac has a really good result to most people’s ears. They constantly update the software and some of the problems you hear about Dirac aren’t always the fault of Dirac.
If you want the best stability get the monoprice. No questions asked. You’ll have zero fumbling and issues.

I had an rmc1 and auditioned the htp1 for one day and wound up with an x9. I can’t say how it differs from the x7. I posted some comparisons to my ears earlier between the rnc1 and x9 and htp1 for what it’s worth.
It seems obvious some people have trouble with the arcam derivatives including possibly to a smaller extent the audio control units. I’m having only minor issues.
I’ll never touch an emotiva again. Emotiva is a very polarizing brand. You either hate or love them. I started out indifferent and it got bad after a while, it blew out a subwoofer playing a dsd file and the Ethernet port never worked right, the list goes on.

Returning an audio control may be more difficult than the others if you want to do a demo in your home. I’d ask the dealer carefully up front. Returning an emotiva is easy and I’d have to believe the htp1 is the same way.
How about the Emotiva amps? Are those ok? If I go with AC, Anthem, or Monoprice for the processing, I'd still need amps.

·
Registered
43 Posts
How about the Emotiva amps? Are those ok? If I go with AC, Anthem, or Monoprice for the processing, I'd still need amps.
I have the AC savoy and pantages amps and really like them. Very flexible and seem to run very cool. Lots of power as well.

·
Registered
403 Posts
I only have a few pa-1 amps and they’re not even really made by emotiva.
I’d personally get a used Bryston instead and ride the 20 year warranty if I could do it over again.
just remember that if you get an emotiva you have to hook up your speakers in reverse polarity (or somehow otherwise flip it somewhere it in the chain) except for the pa-1. Really stupid but a reality.

like everything emotiva, their current generation Amps get mixed reviews and on the beach I read at least one or 2 reviews that were just mediocre or below par. Their older Amps generally got better reviews probably due in large part to the change in the power supply design.
but your best bet is always home audition if possible. Make your own decisions. But Amps are heavy so think ahead if you have to ship it back at your cost, which you’ll have to do with emotiva and probably most others. Speaking just for me I can’t stand the way they responded during the problems I had with the rmc1, at one point I was told that I should call up directv and tell them that their satellite boxes are not complying with the hdmi standard or I should buy 20 different hdmi cables and hope that one works. What a load of ....

·
Registered
143 Posts
I only have a few pa-1 amps and they’re not even really made by emotiva.
I’d personally get a used Bryston instead and ride the 20 year warranty if I could do it over again.
just remember that if you get an emotiva you have to hook up your speakers in reverse polarity (or somehow otherwise flip it somewhere it in the chain) except for the pa-1. Really stupid but a reality.

like everything emotiva, their current generation Amps get mixed reviews and on the beach I read at least one or 2 reviews that were just mediocre or below par. Their older Amps generally got better reviews probably due in large part to the change in the power supply design.
but your best bet is always home audition if possible. Make your own decisions. But Amps are heavy so think ahead if you have to ship it back at your cost, which you’ll have to do with emotiva and probably most others. Speaking just for me I can’t stand the way they responded during the problems I had with the rmc1, at one point I was told that I should call up directv and tell them that their satellite boxes are not complying with the hdmi standard or I should buy 20 different hdmi cables and hope that one works. What a load of ....
Wait, whaaaaa? Have to hook up the speakers in reverse polarity? Do you mean red to black and not red to red? Why?

·
Registered
403 Posts
Wait, whaaaaa? Have to hook up the speakers in reverse polarity? Do you mean red to black and not red to red? Why?
yes. Emotiva wires all of their Xlr Amps backwards compared to the rest of the world, except for the pa1 which really isn’t their own original product anyway.
it’s covered on emotivas forum, If you want to read about it, there’s plenty of material on this.

·
Registered
179 Posts
I have never owned anything from Emotiva and after spending the last several months on these forums I never will. Maybe some minor accessory or something. They're right up the highway a bit from me so I'd like to have a little home-state pride but instead I consider them an embarrassment.

·
Registered
403 Posts
I have never owned anything from Emotiva and after spending the last several months on these forums I never will. Maybe some minor accessory or something. They're right up the highway a bit from me so I'd like to have a little home-state pride but instead I consider them an embarrassment.
Their new tag line cracks me up:“Cutting-edge audio products made by people like you”.

what does that even mean? What are people like “you”? Most people are not engineers so what’s meant here?

·
Registered
11 Posts
I have the X7 in my system and I could not be happier! Awesome unit.
Have you had a chance to listen or demo both the X7 and X9 yet? And is there a significant difference between these processors in sound quality? I know that there are different DAC’s in these processors the X9 uses the ESS Sabre 9038 on all 16 channels I believe and the X7 the ESS Sabre 9026 on just 2 channels? Is it worth getting the X9 As I would only use it for movies and gaming and not music?

·
Registered
572 Posts
Discussion Starter #416
Have you had a chance to listen or demo both the X7 and X9 yet? And is there a significant difference between these processors in sound quality? I know that there are different DAC’s in these processors the X9 uses the ESS Sabre 9038 on all 16 channels I believe and the X7 the ESS Sabre 9026 on just 2 channels? Is it worth getting the X9 As I would only use it for movies and gaming and not music?
I have not listen to both sides by side. The X7 had everything I needed in my system. I have very good amps and speakers and the sound is incredible. I came form a JBL Synthesis system with a processor, SDEC EQ and Synthesis amps. All calibrated in ARCOS and it sounded great. My new system with the X7, Crown amps, JBL Pro seven series speakers and (2) JBL S2S-EX subs. All calibrated with DLBC sounds better. To me that is impressive. I get all of my equipment at dealer cost and the difference was around 1.8K between the two I still went with the X7.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Their new tag line cracks me up:“Cutting-edge audio products made by people like you”.

what does that even mean? What are people like “you”? Most people are not engineers so what’s meant here?
I agree Most people are not engineers. Reading a lot of the people posting on this forum about what brands people should or should not buy you sure wouldn’t know it. A lot people on here thinking they are engineers

·
Registered
403 Posts
I agree Most people are not engineers. Reading a lot of the people posting on this forum about what brands people should or should not buy you sure wouldn’t know it. A lot people on here thinking they are engineers
I guess that’s clearly directed at me. For the record I actually have an advanced degree in EE. but still that doesn’t matter, as an owner of both pieces of equipment I think it’s ok to make judgements regardless of ones day job.
The audio community is full of people with opinions, arguably much more so than most other hobbies...I’m just one such person.

·
Registered
422 Posts
I guess that’s clearly directed at me. For the record I actually have an advanced degree in EE. but still that doesn’t matter, as an owner of both pieces of equipment I think it’s ok to make judgements regardless of ones day job.
The audio community is full of people with opinions, arguably much more so than most other hobbies...I’m just one such person.
No it wasn’t directed clearly at you. A lot of people have brands they like or not. Just a whole lot of
“Piss On Chevy” stuff that make them just look like someone with an axe to grind or fanboys

·
Registered
11 Posts
I am on the same journey of figuring out what amps for for my HT and gaming system to pair with a Audiocontrol X7 or X9 here is what I discovered I have reached out to owners of them and watched every review I can find. A few questions you have to ask for yourself is this

1. What are your goals? Are your current speakers your end game? Or do you plan to upgrade your current speaker setup?
  2. What speakers are you using for your home theater system and what are there Power ratings?
  3. What impedance are your speakers?
  4. How much money do you plan on spending on amps
  5. How many channels of amplification do you need?
  6. Do you want a toroidal transformer supply which is going to be a heavy ass box or a SMPS power supply which is more lightweight? And how much space do you have to work with? In other words are seeking only a one box amp solution
  7. Do you like the amplifier to be more warm, neutral or bright?

So one of the most important parts of building a home theater is having a amplifier that can drive your front stage with authority (Left center and right) your amplifiers is where you get your headroom and dynamics from skimp on this and you will regret it later I can’t tell you how many guys I have seen buy for example a Emotiva XPA3 for their front stage and are now selling it to get a DR3. There is a saying in the HT community “you buy once you cry once” buying great quality amps is important because it will be something you will own for many years so buy something that will last you get the best you can get. One issue people encounter is that there can be some harshness and strain coming from your speakers running them full range from certain scenes in movies and that’s from running certain receivers without enough power or running cheaper amps so the great thing about having a lot of power on hand is that you may not need a full 300 watts but you will have enough CLEAN power to render as much dynamics as you need whether it be a quite atmospheric moment or a bass heavy action scene that way those scenes in movies won’t sound strained from not having enough juice. Also it’s not all about bass but whether a amp can also handle the subtle moments and details.

Of all the amplifier brands out there Emotiva is one of the best budget friendly options and makes good amps their XPA and DR line use a SMPS (switch mode power supply) which makes their amps more efficient as it regulates voltage power. I don’t know how reliable this topology is meaning I don’t think these type of amps will outlive a well built amp with some big heat sinks?! Emotiva amps use a class H topology with class a/b sound and are very lightweight as their amps don’t have big heat sinks or toroidal transformers so if you are a wuss you can lift their products with ease LOL haha Their XPA line is fairly neutral and their DR series are on the brighter side of neutral Emotiva’s flagship models the DR1 (monoblock) , DR2, and DR3 are fully balanced offer amazing low noise floor no hiss or hum in your speakers through the XLR inputs and are much more powerful than the XPA line the DR series hit hard and are amazing amps feedback is high on these. I’m guessing that their power ratings are semi questionable and are not necessarily conservatively rated? I would personally stay away from their XPA9 ,XPA11 or anything with what they call “stereo modules” as those are only rated at 65watts per channel and will not drive your surrounds or Atmos very well and are not very revealing! As far as reliability (based on user feedback) and build quality I wouldn’t say they are the best on this list but I’m sure they will last ya a while. Their amps have a 5 year transferable warranty.

Next we have Monoprice which is a ATI design they have 1 heat sink in 2-3 channels and 2 heat sinks in anything above 3 channels and weigh more than the Emotiva’s they are rated for power conservatively in their ALL channels driven ratings and are very budget friendly side note they do sell out of certain models so it may be difficult trying to find a certain amp wait times can be frustrating. Sound is neutral and good similar to Emotivas XPA line but not as powerful as Emotiva’s DR series however. The difference between the XPA line and Monoprice are Emotiva has a few extra goodies like channel lights and stuff These Monoprice amps have a great build quality

Next there are Rotel amps the rmb- 1585 and the rmb-1590 these amps are not fully balanced but are very reliably built like a tanks the sound is slightly warmer than the Emotiva DR series and the Rotels are very musical sounding and are awesome for HT as well not sure about 4ohm power specs as Rotel only rated them for 8ohm? The price point is kinda high.

next we have Outlaw audio and Outlaw offers some amazing amps for the price points one of those is a ATI designed amp that is their flagship the Outlaw 7220 this amp is more potent than the Monoprice 7x200 amp many people don’t know how amazing this one is it is a powerful 7 channel audiophile amp IF you hook it up to a dedicated 20 amp outlet it can put down nearly 270 watts times 7 into 8 ohms ALL channels driven this amp runs very cool and never runs outta steam the sound signature is neutral to slightly warm slightly rich but mostly neutral amp and is FULLY balanced so if you run it through the XLR it’s super clean sounding. It has 2 massive heat sinks and weighs 96lbs. Outlaw also offers the 5000x and 7000x amps which are great for Atmos and surrounds NOT for front stage amps these amps have great prices the 5000x and 7000x has Slightly more power than its stated ratings when bench tested by Audioholics and both amps now offer XLR inputs they are not fully balanced amps.

Next is Parasound and they are not budget friendly and are Audiophile grade Amps that are multi purpose for HT and music you can run 4ohm and 8ohm speakers with them they are known for a slightly warm sound signature that has a rich beautiful airy crisp sound. Very elegant and delightful sounding musical amps that can also deliver the goods the A51 5 channel has 250watts into 8ohm and 400 watts into 4ohm These amps are built to last have a 5 year non transferable warranty and are amazingly reliable and have a class A to class A/B circuitry which means for the first 8-10watts of power it runs on class A mode so if you have efficient speakers with a high dB sensitivity it will stay in class A then when the volume is high enough it switches to class A/B for their higher price tag it would be nice to see a fully balanced design but they are not. These amps run hot you would probably have to purchase a separate cooling fan as there are no fans internally that cool it.

And last we have the King Kong of amplifiers the ATI Signature series 6000’s. These amps are not budget friendly but are the most versatile amps you can get music, HT, gaming it doesn’t matter what you use it for this amp does it all. You can run 8ohm or 4 ohm impedance speakers with this amp it can handle any speaker you throw at it. The sound signature is neutral to slightly warm they are known to be very natural sounding and extremely clean sounding they don’t color the sound they are FULLY balanced with a extremely low noise floor and will put some monoblocks on the market to shame. Some people just buy this amp 6002 2 channel or 6003 3 channel just for their front stage instead of monoblocks. These amps run extremely cool and are rated at 300 watts into 8 ohms and 450 in 4ohm but measure higher than their stated ratings ATI amps are bullet proof and bomb proof built like battle tanks and offer a 7 year transferable warranty they do cost some coin however you get a amazing quality amp that will last you many many years. The dynamics and soundstage is HUGE their 5-7 channels amps need dual 15 or 20 amp breakers/cords just to run them lol if you have some reference speakers they will sound killer action scenes will scare the crap out of you and this amp won’t break a sweat no matter how hard you push it Weight is 96 to 143lbs depending on model

Usually you would want to stick with the same brand for amplifiers however I think it would be safe to mix match the ATI made products ATI,Outlaw,Monoprice. Hope this info helps

401 - 420 of 474 Posts