AVS Forum banner

601 - 620 of 654 Posts

·
Registered
457 Posts

Dirac is also reading my X7 as an X9

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I'm thinking your settings aren't correctly adjusted in this screen you attached.

First off, your mic gain seems to be way too low...may justify why you get that pop up message. I believe that default places the mic gain closer to 100%, while the master output is at 25%; afterwards, if you haven't already done that, you'd need to adjust each channel's gain level to be in the 'blue section'...

Is the DL version updated to be most current?

Lastly, you may wish to review the first post in the following DL dedicated thread; extremely useful work that @markus767 did - his work is indeed 5 stars and top notch!

·
Registered
79 Posts
I'm thinking your settings aren't correctly adjusted in this screen you attached.

First off, your mic gain seems to be way too low...may justify why you get that pop up message. I believe that default places the mic gain closer to 100%, while the master output is at 25%; afterwards, if you haven't already done that, you'd need to adjust each channel's gain level to be in the 'blue section'...

Is the DL version updated to be most current?

Lastly, you may wish to review the first post in the following DL dedicated thread; extremely useful work that @markus767 did - his work is indeed 5 stars and top notch!

Thank you will do. The mic gain was at 100% And everything was in a blue that was after trying to trouble shoot it Unsuccessfully. I’ll check out that thread that’s again

·
Registered
457 Posts
Thank you will do. The mic gain was at 100% And everything was in a blue that was after trying to trouble shoot it Unsuccessfully. I’ll check out that thread that’s again

Good deal...

I believe other DL users also reported low input warnings, so increasing the mic gain AND the master output slide bars WHILE lowering every channel to be in the blue should get you past that error.

·
Registered
79 Posts
@john fusco
Is it possible that you have for example not existing subwoofers in your setup?
If you have only one sub, don‘t use Ch13 or 14, cause these have to be used as a pair!
That’s exactly what was happening I have four subs I was initially using the sub out. channel 13 not 14 and 15 and 16. I removed it from the sub output and installed in channel 14 and I was able to get a measurement

·
Registered
457 Posts
Hi gang...I'm at an impasse and would like to get your seasoned input if I may...unsure if my issue is part of the 'upgraditis bug' or it's real: but I have an opportunity to trade in my M9 for the X9.

By all technical accounts, the X9 has superior design, features and components over the M9. What really intrigues me about the X9 are the following aspects:
  1. Accurate LFE alignment and multiple DL slots: inclusion of Dirac Live Base Control, which quite a few users have already validated that, in a very user friendly fashion, does just as good (if not better) job as the miniDSP 2x4HD to properly phase/gain/time align the subs with each other AND the L/R mains
    1. phase aligning the subs via miniDSP 2x4HD procedure is painstakingly tedious
    2. using DLBC will also minimize the number of A-D-A conversions
    3. I could 'retire or sell' my miniDSP 2x4HD box
    4. my M9 only has one DL slot filter, so I am currently unable to make changes on the fly: it's either DL fully ON or OFF...
    5. how many DL slots does the X9 have?
  2. Better 2-ch stereo experience due to superior specs of ES9038PRO SABRE DACs over the Burr Brown PCM1796. Sure, on paper, the SABRE DACs do measure better, but unfortunately, I have not been able to see any M9 vs. X9 reviews, so I'm really taking a chance here.
  3. Upgradability path...unlike the M9, the X9 would be upgraded later at the factory with HDMI 2.1 PCB boards and/or other upcoming sound formats and firmware.
The fact that the X9 is a 9.1.6 (vs 7.1.4 on the M9) bears no impact to me; my current setup is 5.2.4, and my HT room is on the small end (14.5 x 14 x 12). On the opposite spectrum, it seems that the only negative of the X9 is the process for user to upgrades the firmware hasn't been fully fleshed out...while a little convoluted, I haven't read that anyone bricked their unit, so it's still workable.

I know that I'm projecting my inability to make a clear binary choice here, but unlike other processors and vendors (i.e.. Crutchfield) the return policy is kind of limited: once I order the X9 and receive/install & calibrate it myself, I'm more or less stuck with it.

Any thoughts on the above would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers!
Interesting...I just noted that the M9 weighs in at 42 lbs while the X9 is at 27 lbs. So the X9 is barely heavier than my Cambridge Audio CXUHD with a LPS upgrade (CA is an Oppo 203 clone sans the analog DAC stage).

I believe the weight delta is because X9 is employing Class H technology, and it does not need a robust toroidal power supply more commonly found in class A/B setups.

·
Registered
499 Posts

Keep getting this message no matter what I do. Any ideas of what’s going on. Tried the microphone that came with the unit and I also tried my UMlk-1 minidsp mic. The room is dead quiet

Can you share a picture of the page with the levels. Make sure mic gain is 100%. Also make sure that you're actually selecting the right mic, just plugging in a mic doesn't always make that guarantee.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Can you share a picture of the page with the levels. Make sure mic gain is 100%. Also make sure that you're actually selecting the right mic, just plugging in a mic doesn't always make that guarantee.

Hade the right mic and file selected. I was only able to get the one main spot measurement. When I tried another position that error message returned

·
Registered
79 Posts
Maybe it’s this new Mac laptop. I’ve always been a PC guy. May try to bring my desktop Tower down tomorrow and give it another try.

·
Premium Member
4,883 Posts
Maybe it’s this new Mac laptop. I’ve always been a PC guy. May try to bring my desktop Tower down tomorrow and give it another try.

I just started using Dirac a few weeks ago via a Mac. You have likely done this already but did you open up your system settings to make sure that under sound the correct mic is being used as it defaults to the internal mic first time around. I made the mistake of assuming my UMIK-1 was plug and play, wasted a few hours with the exact same problem you are having until I checked that setting. You may also need to make sure that the input sound level setting for the mic under system is "maxed" out as well. Good luck.

Reactions: john fusco

·
Registered
79 Posts
I just started using Dirac a few weeks ago via a Mac. You have likely done this already but did you open up your system settings to make sure that under sound the correct mic is being used as it defaults to the internal mic first time around. I made the mistake of assuming my UMIK-1 was plug and play, wasted a few hours with the exact same problem you are having until I checked that setting. You may also need to make sure that the input sound level setting for the mic under system is "maxed" out as well. Good luck.
Thank you I’ll check that out make sure it’s all set up properly on the Mac

·
Registered
4,117 Posts
Can anyone with rack ears post a picture of how they are attached to the side of the Audiocontrol? (Ie. Do they use just the 2 big screws or all four screws on each side)

·
Registered
45 Posts
Hi, I just got a new X9 and I am confused on the Dirac set up. I have used Dirac on my miniDSP DDRC 99 w/ BM for years and never had any issues. This is a different set up.

Audiocontrol told me that they cannot help me with Dirac set up and my local dealer well let's just say knows almost nothing.

First question- I have two subs and both have XLR. I was told not to use the sub out but instead to choose 13 and 14 or 15 and 16 (currently not in use). Is that correct?

2. When I am checking speaker levels it is not the pink noise that I am used to hearing with the miniDSP and Dirac but it is more of a popping sound. Is that normal?

3. When I check the levels of all of the speakers in Dirac and I set the master volume to 25% or so and input mic gain at 100% I cannot hear anything out of my speakers at all. I have to move the master output way up to get it into the bottom of the blue section. I know that cannot be correct. I was told my AC to get all of the speakers to 75 db in the processor first and to set the distances which I did and then I ran the Dirac.

·
Registered
601 Posts
Discussion Starter #616
Hi, I just got a new X9 and I am confused on the Dirac set up. I have used Dirac on my miniDSP DDRC 99 w/ BM for years and never had any issues. This is a different set up.

Audiocontrol told me that they cannot help me with Dirac set up and my local dealer well let's just say knows almost nothing.

First question- I have two subs and both have XLR. I was told not to use the sub out but instead to choose 13 and 14 or 15 and 16 (currently not in use). Is that correct?

2. When I am checking speaker levels it is not the pink noise that I am used to hearing with the miniDSP and Dirac but it is more of a popping sound. Is that normal?

3. When I check the levels of all of the speakers in Dirac and I set the master volume to 25% or so and input mic gain at 100% I cannot hear anything out of my speakers at all. I have to move the master output way up to get it into the bottom of the blue section. I know that cannot be correct. I was told my AC to get all of the speakers to 75 db in the processor first and to set the distances which I did and then I ran the Dirac.
1. use 13 & 14 for front subs and 15 & 16 for rear subs. Set sub level to none.

2. Speakers will have pink noise and subs will have a pulsating sound.

3. Starting with your X9 set levels and distances to 0. I set all my speakers to full range I get the best calibration with full range. In Dirac set your volume to 0 and mic gain to 100%. Starting with the left speaker hit the play icon and raise the master volume and get close to center on the volume indicator. Now go to each speaker and set them as close as you can to the left. Dirac uses the left speaker for reference. Set the sub volume as close to the left speaker as you can. See below. Now run Dirac.

·
Registered
45 Posts
1. use 13 & 14 for front subs and 15 & 16 for rear subs. Set sub level to none.

2. Speakers will have pink noise and subs will have a pulsating sound.

3. Starting with your X9 set levels and distances to 0. I set all my speakers to full range I get the best calibration with full range. In Dirac set your volume to 0 and mic gain to 100%. Starting with the left speaker hit the play icon and raise the master volume and get close to center on the volume indicator. Now go to each speaker and set them as close as you can to the left. Dirac uses the left speaker for reference. Set the sub volume as close to the left speaker as you can. See below. Now run Dirac. View attachment 3077713
So for my front sub I put in 13 or 14 and rear sub I put in 15 or 16? I thought that the 13/14 and 15/16 are considered paired and that the bass control works when they are paired. At least that is what Steven at AC told me.

Setting sub level to none is done in the speaker config section of the menu?

I have no pink noise out of any speaker like I would expect just a popping sound. Maybe I have software issue somewhere. It was a bit of a shock to hear the popping.

You set all speakers to large...okay. Do you use the bass control in Dirac?

·
Registered
601 Posts
Discussion Starter #618
So for my front sub I put in 13 or 14 and rear sub I put in 15 or 16? I thought that the 13/14 and 15/16 are considered paired and that the bass control works when they are paired. At least that is what Steven at AC told me.

Setting sub level to none is done in the speaker config section of the menu?

I have no pink noise out of any speaker like I would expect just a popping sound. Maybe I have software issue somewhere. It was a bit of a shock to hear the popping.

You set all speakers to large...okay. Do you use the bass control in Dirac?
Make sure to set pink noise to output in the X9. Yes, use DLBC for multiple subs. Link to Official Dirac page: The official Dirac Live thread Guides to everything Dirac and DLBC.

601 - 620 of 654 Posts