AVS Forum banner

621 - 640 of 654 Posts

·
Registered
601 Posts
Discussion Starter #621 (Edited)
There is a pink noise output tab in the X9? I did not see that. Where is it located?
There is no controller for pink noise in the X9. Not sure what you are referring to. I search around and found nothing. I must have a defective product. I contacted AC.
It's not called pink noise. It's called External Test Tone under the speaker level menu. This will allow test tones to be output to Dirac. Internal will send test tones through the X9.

·
Registered
45 Posts
It's not called pink noise. It's called External Test Tone under the speaker level menu. This will allow test tones to be output to Dirac. Internal will send test tones through the X9.
Thank you! I will try it tonight. Interesting that tech support told me only use the internal. Hope it works!

·
Registered
499 Posts
It could be the internal. I don't remember I had to change the setting to get the test tones.
I did not have to change the setting. Test tones come through the s9 when performing dirac with no Issue for me. You do have to make sure your amps and subs are aware and not on standby/auto mode..although they should wake up regardless. Apart from that, I’ve had no issues

I would do a factory reset and try again. If it doesn’t work, you should call AC. Or just call them directly first.

·
Registered
79 Posts

Does anybody use the Dolby audio processing mode? I couldn’t find any info on it in the manual

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
45 Posts
I did not have to change the setting. Test tones come through the s9 when performing dirac with no Issue for me. You do have to make sure your amps and subs are aware and not on standby/auto mode..although they should wake up regardless. Apart from that, I’ve had no issues

I would do a factory reset and try again. If it doesn’t work, you should call AC. Or just call them directly first.
I spoke to the head of engineering and we reset the factory defaults and then everything worked fine.

·
Registered
457 Posts
Folks...very happy to say that I'm in the queue, and will shortly join y'all - I just traded my AudioControl Maestro M9 for the X9 and hopefully should get it in a few weeks.

Primary reasons for the upgrade:

1. will eliminate the miniDSP 2x4 HD loop that I've been using to phase/gain/level match my LFE channels
1a. instead, I'll be using the updated DLBC to correctly manage my 2 SVS subs (one less A-D-A conversion path too)
2. Upgraded output wizardry:
  • OPA1612 HiFi Audio op-amps
  • ES9038PRO SABRE audiophile DACs

Currently, I don't need the increase in # of channels, but the fact that the X9 can be updated to HDMI 2.1/8K specs is a plus; it will ensure future-proofing for some time. Things listed in #2 should improve not only 2ch HiFi music listening, but also the HT experience. For posterity, I will post my impressions once I get everything setup...

P.S. this post by @AustinJerry has put me over the fence to upgrade; over the years, I've followed his dedication to the AV world and his painstaking miniDSP calibration manuals, and always trusted and appreciated his advice. He has been instrumental to the AVS Forum...a true gem for for the rest of us 'audio enthusiasts' !

The comments below were originally included at the end of a post in the HTP-1 thread, but I want to make sure that other Dirac Live users have a chance to hear what I had to say.

Since I now have implemented the Full DLBC Dirac Live solution on my HTP-1, what are my key takeaways? First of all, and IMO the most important advantage of Full DLBC, is that it offers the average user a completely automated solution that achieves excellent results. No more consolidation of sub outputs using a MiniDSP 2x4, and no more using PEQ in the 2x4 to smooth the sub output. Second of all, and also quite significant in my opinion, is the ease of finding the right sub output levels, which when using the MiniDSP approach, involved tedious gain-matching or level-matching prior to calibrating to get the levels right. With DLBC, the calibration level-setting screen allows direct access to each sub channel to allow the levels to be set properly. Thus, a significant complexity is completely eliminated. DLBC is said to also offer additional advantages, i.e. minimizing seat-to-seat variations as well as improving phase relationships between stereo pairs and between the subs and the mains. I found measuring these improvements using REW to be difficult. And as many of you may know, seat-to-seat variations are not very important to me. However, I can report that my Dirac Live calibrations sound excellent, with clearly defined imaging and strong bass. And the fact that I arrived at these excellent results with significantly less work makes DLBC a real winner. Highly recommended!

Edit: I would like to add one more comment regarding an important advantage of DLBC. By removing the MiniDSP 2x4 from the signal path, I have eliminated another A-D-A conversion. Like when I replaced my MiniDSP 88A with the HTP-1, which also removed an A-D-A conversion, I now have a much cleaner signal path, not to mention quite a few cables which have been eliminated as well. I have no doubt that fewer conversions has contributed to the overall improvement in the audio.

·
Registered
499 Posts
I spoke to the head of engineering and we reset the factory defaults and then everything worked fine.
They are pretty helpful in my experience. when i’ve called I waited no more than a minute to talk to someone who could directly understand what was going on and help. I still believe this is a rarity in this industry, at least at anywhere close to this price point.

·
Registered
457 Posts
My X9 is coming this week...yeay!

In anticipation and preparation, I've been reading the setup guides and such, and I have a quick question regarding proper sub connections: I have 2 subs (front L corner and rear R corner). For my configuration, is the recommendation to use channel 13 (front sub) & ch 14 (rear sub), or ch 13 (front sub) and ch 15 (rear sub)? I fully want to use Dirac BM module and retire the miniDSP 2x4HD

The X9 manuals mentions the following, so it isn't quite clear to me:

Channels 13 & 14:
Front Wide Surrounds
Front subwoofer

Channels 15 & 16:
Middle Heights
Height Center
Rear Subwoofer

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
4,117 Posts
My X9 is coming this week...yeay!

In anticipation and preparation, I've been reading the setup guides and such, and I have a quick question regarding proper sub connections: I have 2 subs (front L corner and rear R corner). For my configuration, is the recommendation to use channel 13 (front sub) & ch 14 (rear sub), or ch 13 (front sub) and ch 15 (rear sub)? I fully want to use Dirac BM module and retire the miniDSP 2x4HD

The X9 manuals mentions the following, so it isn't quite clear to me:

Channels 13 & 14:
Front Wide Surrounds
Front subwoofer

Channels 15 & 16:
Middle Heights
Height Center
Rear Subwoofer

Thanks in advance!
It is just labelling so if you have two subs you need to configure "Subwoofer" as disabled and enable either channels 13&14 or channels 15&16 as subwoofers (Not both).

·
Registered
457 Posts
It is just labelling so if you have two subs you need to configure "Subwoofer" as disabled and enable either channels 13&14 or channels 15&16 as subwoofers (Not both).
Thank you, I appreciate your response!

So manual description seems to be confusing at first reading: it has nothing to do with the location of the subs? The manual seemed to imply that ch 13/14 were designated for front and 15/16 for rear locations...

In even more layman’s terms...for 2 subs configuration, if you first select ch 13 for sub 1, then you must use the corresponding ch 14 for the other one, thus they work as a pair, akin to speaker sets (no permutation crisscrossing between 13/14 and 15/16).

·
Registered
4,117 Posts
In even more layman’s terms...for 2 subs configuration, if you first select ch 13 for sub 1, then you must use the corresponding ch 14 for the other one, thus they work as a pair, akin to speaker sets (no permutation crisscrossing between 13/14 and 15/16).
Yes, channels 13&14 or 15&16 only support subwoofers as a pair. The "Subwoofer" channel only supports 1 subwoofer.

So config for various subwoofer counts is as follows:
1 Subwoofer - Only "Subwoofer" enabled
2 Subwoofers - Either Channels 13&14 OR 15&16 set to subwoofer and "Subwoofer" disabled
3 Subwoofers - Either Channels 13&14 OR 15&16 set to subwoofer and "Subwoofer" enabled
4 Subwoofers - Channels 13&14 AND 15&16 set to subwoofer and "Subwoofer" disabled
5 Subwoofers - Channels 13&14 AND 15&16 set to subwoofer and "Subwoofer" enabled

·
Registered
457 Posts
Yes, channels 13&14 or 15&16 only support subwoofers as a pair. The "Subwoofer" channel only supports 1 subwoofer.

So config for various subwoofer counts is as follows:
1 Subwoofer - Only "Subwoofer" enabled
2 Subwoofers - Either Channels 13&14 OR 15&16 set to subwoofer and "Subwoofer" disabled
3 Subwoofers - Either Channels 13&14 OR 15&16 set to subwoofer and "Subwoofer" enabled
4 Subwoofers - Channels 13&14 AND 15&16 set to subwoofer and "Subwoofer" disabled
5 Subwoofers - Channels 13&14 AND 15&16 set to subwoofer and "Subwoofer" enabled
Much obliged sir, thank you!

·
Registered
457 Posts
I take it you're not using BEQ?
Yes I AM using base equalization. But, as you know, aligning multiple subs w.r.t. time, phase, gain, PEQ and creating low pass Linkwittz filters, exporting them from REW into miniDSP is a tedious process. While I thoroughly enjoy my current LFE result, I haven't taken the time to align the system of subs with the L/R mains, so I'm not optimally dialed in as they say.

I just wish to simplify my setup and reduce the A-D-A conversion loops while I'm at it...and by all accounts, DLBC does all of the above equally well. See post # 628 above:

·
Registered
5,319 Posts
While I can't argue with that logic it will be a bummer for you to lose low frequency information due to studios handicapping those of us with capable subs by neutering the LFE channel.

·
Registered
457 Posts
While I can't argue with that logic it will be a bummer for you to lose low frequency information due to studios handicapping those of us with capable subs by neutering the LFE channel.
Very true...this brings a good question: is there value added (i.e. increased system fidelity) to still 'dial-in' the subs via miniDSP 2x4HD prior to DLBC calibration?

·
Registered
5,319 Posts
Very true...this brings a good question: is there value added (i.e. increased system fidelity) to still 'dial-in' the subs via miniDSP 2x4HD prior to DLBC calibration?
Well with my 8500, which in my opinion is inferior to DLBC, I got pretty similar results with mini+aud as I did with just Aud alone. Many have said that running mini first requires less adjustments from the RC program which results in better overall AQ. I'd be surprised if any of this was measurable; and certainly not audible, IMO.

The only major reason for me for the mini was I'm running more than 2 subs; and BEQ. If Aud could room correct multiples and I didn't care about BEQ, I'd eject it.

621 - 640 of 654 Posts