AVS Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I'm looking to simplify my bedroom computer system. Currently I have a B&K PT3 II preamp and ST55.2 amp running a set of diy Adire Audio Kit51's(from ~2004?). For a subwoofer I have a Cerwin Vega HTIB sub that I swapped a TB 8" driver into. Wired up with Kimber 4VS, Zu Cable Mini to RCA, and Audio Quest Copperhead RCA (pre to power amp). All in all, not a bad system, I've had it since 2004 (except the sub) if that says anything. The speakers lack a bit of punch I guess you could say, and the high end is a little flat for my ears, but overall a good computer system. I play both music and movies on it, but 90% music. Its a bit clunky of a system, takes up a bit of space and I don't need any of the features of the preamp to justify it. That said, if it aint broke don't fix it could apply here.


Anyway, I saw the Audioengine 5+ a little while ago and got thinking about it and it would be cool replace my separates and Adire's (which I've been looking at replacing for some time now) with these guys. I've read all the reviews and they seem like a good speaker. My only concern is that most people who rave about them are upgrading from wimpy computer speaker systems and not from a stereo like mine (not implying mine is anything to write home about, but its better than say a klipsch pro media from my experience). I was debating going in the oppposite direction and replacing the Adire's with some B&W bookshelfs, but the appeal of less "stuff" is currently winning.


Anyone care to share their input? I figure I can sell the B&K's and probably the Adire's (unless they become garage speakers) and make the 5+'s cost very little extra out of pocket. Just want to make sure I'm not making a big mistake. Are there other powered monitors I should consider that are in the ~$400 range?


Thanks!
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
646 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ac_slater  /t/1417732/audioengine-5-to-replace-current#post_22171402


Anyway, I saw the Audioengine 5+ a little while ago

I like my Audioengine 5's.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ac_slater  /t/1417732/audioengine-5-to-replace-current#post_22171402


My only concern is that most people who rave about them are upgrading from

wimpy computer speaker systems and not from a stereo like mine

They may still know how big speakers sound. My Audioengine 2's replaced a

crummy set of JBL desktops from CompUSA. My Audioengine 5's replaced my

TV's speakers. They're not in the same class as the Infinity towers I used to run,

but they're small and inexpensive.


I like and recommend Audioengine, but they're not the only brand out there. The

new Emotiva powered speakers are appealing to me. The set I like is more

expensive and a little too big for the space I've got. There are "near-field

monitors" by M-Audio, KRK, and others which, while quite a bit less expensive,

beat Audioengine in a number of reviews' opinions.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,787 Posts
I have the A2 and like them alot. Swan is another powered monitor that is positively reviewed.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
65 Posts
I too am in the market for a 2 channel system for my living/dining room (mainly music listening). I like the Audioengine a5 (not the plus) because the ease with which it can integrate with my airport express. My idea is to be able to run my iTunes library and on line sources (Pandora/Spotify) and control the whole thing with my iPad or iPhone. I like that the original A5 had the AC power adapter on one of the speakers for easy AirPort Express connection. Also I can use my USB powered DAC on the USB outlet on top of the A5. It all make too much sense.


As with anything the more research Im doing the more choices come up. Now Im really considering the Swan M200 mk2. I like the looks of these speakers but it wont be such an easy integration with my AirPort express due to the loss of the AC outlet on the speaker. There are ways around this but I dont think it will be as clean as the Audioengine A5. Bottom line is looks/performance of the Swan vs the ease and performance of the A5.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
17 Posts
I was pretty much in the exact same situation a few weeks ago.


I ended up going xonar stx out of my pc to a svs sb12- nsd sub and the epoz aktimate minis for the speakers.


The aktimate minis are generally regarded as better speakers than the a5's. They have very slightly larger drivers and a much better amp that run them. In terms of connection they are identical to the a5's, Very easy.


Just something else for you to think about, sorry haha.


Just for your info I was tossing up between the a5's, aktimate minis and the swan m200mk3's.


Hope this helps.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
14,420 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ac_slater  /t/1417732/audioengine-5-to-replace-current#post_22171402


Hi, I'm looking to simplify my bedroom computer system. Currently I have a B&K PT3 II preamp and ST55.2 amp running a set of diy Adire Audio Kit51's(from ~2004?). For a subwoofer I have a Cerwin Vega HTIB sub that I swapped a TB 8" driver into. Wired up with Kimber 4VS, Zu Cable Mini to RCA, and Audio Quest Copperhead RCA (pre to power amp). All in all, not a bad system, I've had it since 2004 (except the sub) if that says anything. The speakers lack a bit of punch I guess you could say, and the high end is a little flat for my ears, but overall a good computer system. I play both music and movies on it, but 90% music. Its a bit clunky of a system, takes up a bit of space and I don't need any of the features of the preamp to justify it. That said, if it aint broke don't fix it could apply here.

Anyway, I saw the Audioengine 5+ a little while ago and got thinking about it and it would be cool replace my separates and Adire's (which I've been looking at replacing for some time now) with these guys. I've read all the reviews and they seem like a good speaker. My only concern is that most people who rave about them are upgrading from wimpy computer speaker systems and not from a stereo like mine (not implying mine is anything to write home about, but its better than say a klipsch pro media from my experience). I was debating going in the oppposite direction and replacing the Adire's with some B&W bookshelfs, but the appeal of less "stuff" is currently winning.

Anyone care to share their input? I figure I can sell the B&K's and probably the Adire's (unless they become garage speakers) and make the 5+'s cost very little extra out of pocket. Just want to make sure I'm not making a big mistake. Are there other powered monitors I should consider that are in the ~$400 range?

Thanks!

The Audioengine 5s all by themselves look like a step backwards in your search for "punch". While your existing subwoofer is probably very weak, no subwoofer with 5" mini-monitors at all seems arguably worse.



I recommend a decent subwoofer for a change.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
65 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nobbygon  /t/1417732/audioengine-5-to-replace-current#post_22181784


I was pretty much in the exact same situation a few weeks ago.

I ended up going xonar stx out of my pc to a svs sb12- nsd sub and the epoz aktimate minis for the speakers.

The aktimate minis are generally regarded as better speakers than the a5's. They have very slightly larger drivers and a much better amp that run them. In terms of connection they are identical to the a5's, Very easy.

Just something else for you to think about, sorry haha.

Just for your info I was tossing up between the a5's, aktimate minis and the swan m200mk3's.

Hope this helps.

Thanks for the response. I've looked into the Aktimate (maxi and mini) and while they are better than the A5 they are just a bit out of my price range. I did not want to spend over $500.00 and currently the mini could be had for $699.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,787 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlk2106  /t/1417732/audioengine-5-to-replace-current#post_22184739


Thanks for the response. I've looked into the Aktimate (maxi and mini) and while they are better than the A5 they are just a bit out of my price range. I did not want to spend over $500.00 and currently the mini could be had for $699.

I'd really reconsider the + if you go with A5. One of the mods was to consider some thermal issues, hence the beafed up radiator on the +. In fact I just checked audioengine's website, they only offer the + now, although I'm sure the A5 can be had from some authorized resellers.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
65 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by glangford  /t/1417732/audioengine-5-to-replace-current#post_22185052


I'd really reconsider the + if you go with A5. One of the mods was to consider some thermal issues, hence the beafed up radiator on the +. In fact I just checked audioengine's website, they only offer the + now, although I'm sure the A5 can be had from some authorized resellers.

Yeah I heard about the heating issues but for my application I dont think it will too much of an issue. Since it is in the formal living room it wont be played constantly just those times we are in that room. Also, the + does not have that AC outlet in the back of the speakers which is really what I like since there will be no cables visible (my wife would like to keep the formal living as formal as possible, LOL). Finally the original A5 is $100 cheaper.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
646 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlk2106  /t/1417732/audioengine-5-to-replace-current#post_22186853


Since it is in the formal living room it wont be played constantly

just those times we are in that room.

I play my A5's nearly constantly, but never loud, in a room

where the ambient temperature is now around 80F. I've

had no thermal problems.
 
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Top