AVS Forum banner

Audiolab 8000AP

6K views 14 replies 5 participants last post by  hanser 
#1 ·
I'm looking to change from lexicon MC-1 v4 to Audiolab 8000AP, will the Audiolab offer similar sound quality & processing? I like Lexicons Music modes for DTS & Dolby Digital, and Logic 7 expansion from 5.1 to 7.1- does the Audiolab have something similar?

Discussion starter · #5 ·
I don't need that many features and prefer sound and build quality over gimmicks. I have no need for power amplifiers in receivers, I have 10 channels of poweramps.

If I was critical of the 8000AP though I'd like more coaxial digital inputs, onboard HD audio decoding, processing of 5.1/7.1 analogue input, one or two more HDMI inputs, a 7.1 RCA input and Logic 7.

Discussion starter · #8 ·
The NAD is almost double the price of the Audiolab, I have no need for upscaling, video conversion, s-video, component or composite switching. I don't believe Outlaw is available in the UK. Can't seem to find price on the Onkyo my guess though from previous Onkyo Integra line it'll be around £3000.

My Lexicon pre is faulty. Pretty lousy quality if you've opened one. A £20 PSU for a £5500 unit.

Discussion starter · #10 ·
Everything is more expensive in the UK, and generally for US things we get ripped off, ie Marin bicycles, Lexicon & M&K. The M&K MX-350 MK II was £2100 GBP, in the US $2100 which was about £1600. Even with VAT and customs it's still expensive. It's always 1 to 1 even if the dollar is weak or the pound is strong.

Superfi have the 8000AP for £830 which if you look at other av pre-amps is a bargain. Rotel av pre-amps are rubbish wouldn't touch them, and one of those was £650.

Discussion starter · #13 ·
I'd rather not have a Rotel av pre-amp had one and it was rubbish. I've managed to fix the MC-1 so I'll hang onto it a bit more.

Some people with Tag AV32R DP have moved to the 8000AP and have been pleasantly surprised.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.