AVS Forum banner

Audiolab 8000AP

6K views 14 replies 5 participants last post by  hanser 
#1 ·
I'm looking to change from lexicon MC-1 v4 to Audiolab 8000AP, will the Audiolab offer similar sound quality & processing? I like Lexicons Music modes for DTS & Dolby Digital, and Logic 7 expansion from 5.1 to 7.1- does the Audiolab have something similar?

#5 ·
I don't need that many features and prefer sound and build quality over gimmicks. I have no need for power amplifiers in receivers, I have 10 channels of poweramps.

If I was critical of the 8000AP though I'd like more coaxial digital inputs, onboard HD audio decoding, processing of 5.1/7.1 analogue input, one or two more HDMI inputs, a 7.1 RCA input and Logic 7.

#8 ·
The NAD is almost double the price of the Audiolab, I have no need for upscaling, video conversion, s-video, component or composite switching. I don't believe Outlaw is available in the UK. Can't seem to find price on the Onkyo my guess though from previous Onkyo Integra line it'll be around £3000.

My Lexicon pre is faulty. Pretty lousy quality if you've opened one. A £20 PSU for a £5500 unit.

#10 ·
Everything is more expensive in the UK, and generally for US things we get ripped off, ie Marin bicycles, Lexicon & M&K. The M&K MX-350 MK II was £2100 GBP, in the US $2100 which was about £1600. Even with VAT and customs it's still expensive. It's always 1 to 1 even if the dollar is weak or the pound is strong.

Superfi have the 8000AP for £830 which if you look at other av pre-amps is a bargain. Rotel av pre-amps are rubbish wouldn't touch them, and one of those was £650.

#12 ·
just so you know. audiolab isnt anythign more than a brand name anymore. It was flogged off as a brand name like quad and mission to the chinese brand house IAG along wiht some old designs for some of the audiolab stuff fro mteh early 90s.

I wouldnt be under presumptions just because of the brand name personally. especially since anyone I know who has checked out the current audiolab stuff has found pretty average by todays standard and sells here in oz heavily discounted by 50% or more as a result.

I'd say yoru better off grabbing a rotel or nad persoanlly or even a similar priced current gen avr.

if your jsut buying it because its cheap or something fair enough. but probably better to buy without expectation and be suprised than have built up hopes and be dissapointed

#13 ·
I'd rather not have a Rotel av pre-amp had one and it was rubbish. I've managed to fix the MC-1 so I'll hang onto it a bit more.

Some people with Tag AV32R DP have moved to the 8000AP and have been pleasantly surprised.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.