AVS Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2,258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any thoughts on using Audiolense and J River with a Lynx 2B card to run a 5.1 system that can handle BR?

How seamless is Audiolense when used with J River?

Does J River have any problems handling the Lynx card?

Any problems with J River and BR and/or HD DVD, especially using the Lynx card?

How good is the DRC in Audiolense SQ wise? Does it generally work seamlessly once set?

Lastly, in the DIY section for speakers I asked how well this setup good be used as an Audio PC. Does Audiolense and J River work seamlessly when used as digital x-overs with some equing? Any thoughts with regards to using this setup as a digital x-over for the Lynkwitz Orion?

·
Premium Member
5,402 Posts
I have JRiver MC and the Lynx TWO-B but use it only for 2 channel music in ASIO mode.

5.1 on the Lynx does not work well on my Win7 system due to driver problems (I get "cracklings" during playback). With latest Lynx drivers + Reclock/WASAPI results are bearable but still not perfect.

Didn't know about Audilolense but looks very interesting. Really curious about some first hand experience on the product with the Lynx ...

·
Registered
2,258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My understanding is that the people at Audiolense use the Two-B as one of their soundcards. But I would like to get a consumer perspective into how stable and seamless JRiver is with Lynx 2b, especially when playing Blu-Ray Discs.

PS I use Windows Vista Ultimate, but I'm not adverse to migrating to Win 7

·
Registered
4,128 Posts
I have demoed Audiolense and used the Voxengo PristineSpace 8 Channel convolution processor VST plugin within J. River Media Center. It worked fine in my testing using the sample convolution files included with Audiolense. You do need to create and load convolution files for each bit rate. You could also set JRMC to resample those Blu-rays that aren't 96 kHz to 96 kHz and then just use one convolution file.

J. River Media Center now provides distance settings and a bass crossover for all sources. This makes some of the benefits of Audiolense no longer necessary for me.

·
Registered
2,258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdome /forum/post/18273986

I have demoed Audiolense and used the Voxengo PristineSpace 8 Channel convolution processor VST plugin within J. River Media Center. It worked fine in my testing using the sample convolution files included with Audiolense. You do need to create and load convolution files for each bit rate. You could also set JRMC to resample those Blu-rays that aren't 96 kHz to 96 kHz and then just use one convolution file.

J. River Media Center now provides distance settings and a bass crossover for all sources. This makes some of the benefits of Audiolense no longer necessary for me.

Once the files are created, how transparent is the process. Will my wife and kids be able to just put the BR and play just using J. River; i.e. working in the background, never having to be initialized or adjusted by them?

Also, I noticed you said "some benefits", I'm guessing the room digital correction (I should say "its equivalent") feature of Audiolense is not available through J. River.

·
Premium Member
5,402 Posts
J. River MC is not a BD player. It can only play BDs as a direct show player in file mode, and youll'need ffdshow to decode True HD, but NO DTS HD MA decoding and no BD menus, so expect really low WAF!

·
Premium Member
5,402 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jriver /forum/post/18287525

MC can launch another player if it's needed.

There is no "BD Video" option in the Options->Video window. All other options are for file playback selected by extension. Can I use the DVD Video (ifo, vob) option?

My JRMC version is 14.0.155.

·
Registered
4,128 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raul GS /forum/post/18287237

Once the files are created, how transparent is the process. Will my wife and kids be able to just put the BR and play just using J. River; i.e. working in the background, never having to be initialized or adjusted by them?

Also, I noticed you said "some benefits", I'm guessing the room digital correction (I should say "its equivalent") feature of Audiolense is not available through J. River.

I rip my Blu-rays to the hard drive so they are easy for my wife and kids to play in J. River Media Center 14 (MC14). Once you have the correction files setup, you don't have to do anything each time you play a file. I just did some tests with Audiolense. I don't use it.

I originally looked into using Audiolense because I was thinking about buying an Audiofire 12. It is an external 12 channel DAC. I wanted to use multiple sub outputs and apply distance and level settings for each channel. Not only does Audiolense provide room correction at the measured positions, but it also sets the correct distances and levels for each channel as part of its setup.

I ended up buying a 7.1 channel soundcard and can now use the distance and level settings in MC14. I have a calibrated microphone and use Room Equalization Wizard for measurements. The measurements change even when the microphone moves a small distance that I don't think room correction using digital EQ is the best way to go (I am saying it isn't the best, not that it shouldn't be done at all). Here is an article you can read: EQ versus Bass Traps .

·
Registered
2,258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdome /forum/post/18294890

I rip my Blu-rays to the hard drive so they are easy for my wife and kids to play in J. River Media Center 14 (MC14). Once you have the correction files setup, you don't have to do anything each time you play a file

That is what I wanted to hear, thanks. I also will be ripping all my content into HDs. No need to go looking each time one wants to watch a film.

I originally looked into using Audiolense because I was thinking about buying an Audiofire 12. It is an external 12 channel DAC.
This is interesting, I have another home project that involves 14 Ch. I'll have a look at the Audiofire.

Quote:
The measurements change even when the microphone moves a small distance

A room analysis should be based on multiple mic positions. I guess this system only allows for one mic position. I guess I could address the DRC by other means.
Quote:
Here is an article you can read: EQ versus Bass Traps .

I agree that the first step is addressing the room (although not merely with bass traps) and then DRC. The latter is just for the finishing touch. Too bad too many people even using expensive systems totally ignore it. The catch is that it must be done properly (but then again, that is true about most things).

·
Registered
2,258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by jriver /forum/post/18287803

Here's jmone's thread on Blu-ray:
http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=55171.0

and we added this in build 152:

11. NEW: When a Blu-ray disc is in the drive, it will appear more nicely inside the program and playing the entry will launch the bdmv in the default player for bdmv files.

You'll need to set your Blu-ray software to own that file type.

After reading the link, it seems J River is closed when one runs a blu-ray disc. If that is the case, then it would defeat the purpose of using J River since one could neither use its features nor the features of a third party application such as Audiolense. Is my conclusion correct?

Do you know if your application has any issues working with Lynx 2B?

Thanks

·
Banned
439 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jriver /forum/post/18287525

MC can launch another player if it's needed.

No need to do that.

No need to use re-pay (for each new release) product like J. River.

Instead>

Here's another thought. MPC-HC will play a Blu-Ray disc (unencrypted) via Open DVD option, with original subtitles (I think one needs Haali for that). I don't know what magic is at work there, if there's anything advanced or not, but it picks the main movie. Ffdshow will play any audio, lossy or lossless. That makes a complete playing solution without any paid software and, of course, any advanced features - no menus , no BD-live, PiP, etc.

iq100

delete my ideas by posting some of your own.

one of perhaps 100 banned from Interact, aka INTERCEPT.

·
Registered
2,258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdome /forum/post/18294890

I was thinking about buying an Audiofire 12. It is an external 12 channel DAC. I wanted to use multiple sub outputs and apply distance and level settings for each channel. Not only does Audiolense provide room correction at the measured positions, but it also sets the correct distances and levels for each channel as part of its setup.

I had a look a the Audiofire. From what I can tell it only has analog in, which defeats the purpose since I would like it as a DAC. Am I missing something? Also, do you know if it worked well with Audiolense?

Thanks

·
Banned
439 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raul GS /forum/post/18299815

After reading the link, it seems J River is closed when one runs a blu-ray disc. If that is the case, then it would defeat the purpose of using J River since one could neither use its features nor the features of a third party application such as Audiolense. Is my conclusion correct?

Do you know if your application has any issues working with Lynx 2B?

Thanks
Quote:
Originally Posted by jriver /forum/post/18301751

... I don't know ...

IMHO, your conclusion is correct.

You want to achieve automated room tuning for Blu-ray material.

J. River is NOT the way to conveniently achieve this. Not even the CEO knows if it will work.

And, you will have to re-pay, to re-buy, with each new release.

IMHO a company that uses this forum as advertisement to make a handful of new sales, would serve us better to publish and update a list of equipment than has been tested to work. The challenge to J. River is to at least list the tested components/configuration to achieve automated room tuning playing Blue Ray. I doubt he can do that. Advertising is easier here.

iq100

the best way to delete an idea is to post one of your own.

·
Registered
5,344 Posts
troll alert

·
Registered
573 Posts
To clarify what J. River MC can / can-not do:

1) MC CAN-NOT play a Blu-ray disc itself

2) MC CAN organise, tag, and launch a Blu-ray disc to be played by TMT / PDVD etc

3) MC CAN play the files from an unencrypted blu-ray disc using DirectShow filters (just like any other file).

4) MC does not have to close when playing a Blu-ray disc - I just suggest that to free up memory for the Blu-ray player

·
Registered
2,258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks to all

1 - 19 of 19 Posts