AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, so I just put together my new PC and installed XP. Everything is running smoothly except that I can't get my Audiophile 2496 sound card to work. I put the CD in to install the drivers, but I can't since it seems XP isn't supported on the CD I have.

When I boot up, XP automatically detects the new hardware, and then it asks me if I want to install the necessary hardware. Then it says since the software on the CD isn't XP compatible, installing it may destabalize the computer immediately or in the near future.

So, what should I do?

·
Registered
198 Posts
Just call me stupid, but I cant seem to get most updated drivers to load properly on my new HTPC. I have had varying levels of success with the AP 2496 but I cant seem to load the updated drivers into the system. I don't know if this makes a diff but depending on what DVD player I use I get unpredictable performance. I am currently running .26 but .27 wont load. I have the updates on a floppy disk. I have tried the uninstall file also but I cant reinstall the card without the original AP CD.

Current system is WIN XP Home

AP 2496 ( .26)

Power DVD (Trouble updating to Power DVD XP0

Does play DD and DTS though

ATI 7.6 Wont pass DTS and is very unstable in DD.

What are the steps to install updated drivers?

Help Please my patience is running out.

Thanks for all your help

Rob

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I was having a bit of trouble, too.

Have you tried going into Control Panel, Add/Remove Programs, Add New Programs, and then Add a program from a CD or Floppy?

I had to do the exact same thing, but since I didn't have them on a CD or floppy, I had to choose the folder the drivers were located in on the HD manually, and then from there they installed without a problem.

Also, you could try deleting your old drivers, remove the 2496 from the PCI slot and reinstall it, then XP will automatically detect it on startup and you should be able to install the drivers from there. You'll most likely get a message saying that it's not XP certified, so just ignore it and install them anyways.

I can't say whether your DVD-ROM has anything to do with it or not, since I don't have one on this computer as of yet.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Hexum20,

I have loaded 2 upgrades via hard drive and floppy and they loaded fine. The M Audio driver update just wont take.

What is the File name for Drivers in M Audio? I figure that I would attempt to swap them myself.

Rob

·
Registered
289 Posts
Download and run their uninstaller. Then reboot. The new driver should load.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Thanks to all who replyed. I swapped .27 files from the update with .26 in the resident program. My drivers now read the correct version (.27) in the device mngr tab.

Rob

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.