Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
System specs:

P4 3.0G

ASUS P4C800-E

Sapphire 9600

512MB DDR400

Here's my problem: The AP 2496 seems to be unable to produce sound of any sort while ACPI/APIC is enabled on this system. With ACPI active, it's stuck on IRQ 21. Without ACPI, it moves to IRQ 5, and it works perfectly. BUT, without ACPI, there's no Hyperthreading, and that sucks. I think I need Hyperthreading, so I'm stuck trying to figure out how to make Windows give the AP a standard IRQ. 3, 4, 5, and 7 are all available, but still Windows installs it on 21. Could this be fixed with an older driver? Right now I'm using 5.10.00.36.

Thanks for any ideas.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
One more weird thing:

When I startup in safe mode, the AP moves to IRQ 7. Everything else stays the same, even the other devices using the higher (16+) IRQ's.

Is there any way I can get it to stay on IRQ 7?

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
OK so for about a month now I've been running this system with the "Standard PC" HAL, the 2496 on IRQ 7. Everything works great, except, of course, no Hyper Threading, no power down without hitting the power button, etc...

I contacted M-audio tech support; they said it "should" work with ACPI enabled, and to reinstall the driver. I said okay, did what they said, and it didn't work. I asked if they could tell me absolutely whether the card could even possibly function on IRQ 21; they said "using virtual IRQ's (anything over #15) is a bad idea for a soundcard." I asked whether it was the driver's responsibility to tell the OS that the card should be on a lower IRQ; they haven't gotten back to me.

There are plenty of non-virtual IRQ's available, 3, 4, 5, and 7 at least, but Windows insists on putting the 2496 on 20 or 21 even with no other card in the system. Firewire, USB, parallel and COM ports are all disabled, and still no go.

Does ANYONE else have this soundcard and motherboard (Asus P4C800-E) combo? Is there a way to assign IRQ's to PCI slots in BIOS that I'm missing? Is the driver responsible for or even capable of making the OS put the card on the right IRQ?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hi JRizz,

i have this combo and your problems of course.

Didn't invest too much time, as the driver version

1036 is buggy as hell. If you manage to get it to

work you have really nice 'clicks' when changing

the audio format and other 'features' as well.

I reverted back to beta driver 1031 which works

for me.

Thinking of a new card as well, because of the

driver probs.

Greetings

Heinz

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Heinz,

So beta driver 1031 works for you with ACPI and Hyper Threading enabled? Do you know what IRQ it's on? Doesn't really matter as long as it works...

I'd hate to have to get a new card since all I need it for is 2ch PCM.

Thanks again for the help.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I haven't run into the situation you mention, so I'm not sure if this will adress your problem, but you might try changing the BIOS setting for Plug-and-Play OS.

I seem to recall that setting that to "No" causes the BIOS to manage IRQs whereas "Yes" lets the OS do it.

·
Registered
996 Posts
I would also recommend you try another driver version. I am using ver .29 on my Asus P4pe motherboard. My 2496 is on IRQ 23 and works fine.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for everyone's help. The 1031 beta works. Luckily I had it in my archives, because I couldn't figure out how to get beta drivers off of m-audio.com. It used to be easy, but not anymore. This seems rather silly now that I've spent so much time emailing tech support, which of course was no help. Kudos to M-audio for making affordable hardware, but the software and support sides are lacking to say the least. I can't see buying from them again, which sucks because that means a bunch of research and hemming/hawing over who to go with next. Such is life.:)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.