AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Will the Audiophile card pass through AC3 / DTS signals using PowerDVD?

What are the differences between WinDVD and PowerDVD?

Nav

·
Registered
4,310 Posts
Hi Nav:

___Yes, the M-Audio DiO2496 or the AP2496 will pass-thru an AC-3/DTS stream under both 98 SE or Millennium as well as both PowerDVD 3.0.xxxx and 2.55.0620. Under Windows 2000 SP2 Beta/Final, only PowerDVD 2.55.0620 will do the same.

___PowerDVD has a slightly lower picture quality. It appears as if the cause was found by Stacey Spears in the HT Guide review link posted last week. There is an algorithm glitch found in PowerDVD as well as many HW STB players. WinDVD 2000 ver. 2.x.x do not have this anomaly. The sound output is superior under PowerDVD but I am not sure how this could be given the players are supposed to pass-thru the stream unmolested as is.

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes

___Hunt Club Farms Landscaping Ltd.

___ [email protected]

------------------

New E-Mail address for the time being ... [email protected]

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Xcel:

Why doesn't the sound work under Win 2000? I tried it with Win 2000 SP2 and PowerDVD 3.0 + patch.

I just got WinDVD, I might have to stick with it for a while.

When I use Winamp or WinDVD, I need to change the configuration in the M-Audio control panel. I think I need to change it from Monitor mixer to S/PDIF output. Is there anyway to set it up so I don't need to keep changing the configuration?

Nav

·
Registered
4,310 Posts
Hi Nav:

___You will have to speak with Cyberlink directly as to why PowerDVD 3.0.xxxx doesn’t work properly with Windows 2000 and an M-Audio card just yet. It just doesn’t. Now that SP2 final is released, you can expect Cyberlink (PowerDVD’s creator) to get this fixed fast. They will definitely have to by the time Windows XP is released in a few months in either case. WinDVD 2000 ver. 2.x.x AC3/DTS pass-thru has worked with the M-Audio cards from the first release of the WDM beta drivers for Windows 2000 and SP2 beta.

___As for the having to switch the outputs for MP3’s/CD-Audio vs. DVD’s with AC3/DTS, you have to as well. Only the Win98 SE/Millennium drivers had auto recognition of PCM to AC-3/DTS stream built in thanks to Cliff and the driver coder from M-Audio. The WDM’s for either Windows 2000 or Millennium do not have this auto switching capability yet but we will both have to watch for new drivers …

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes

___Hunt Club Farms Landscaping Ltd.

___ [email protected]

------------------

New E-Mail address for the time being ... [email protected]

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.