AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
768 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Why has nobody created an audiophile chair whose back goes up to your shoulder blades, has a headrest attached to it that is only about 5" wide (narrower than the width or your head) so that there are no first reflections off of the material to the right and left of one's ear like there is with high back chairs. This would also be ideal for home theater because you wouldn't be blocking the surround sound. I currently have low back chairs in my room and I would much rather have chairs with a head rest - but not at the expense of great audio!

Is there such a thing? I was looking at Ikea's Pong chairs and I think they could be easily modified to address the need.

·
Registered
2,114 Posts
I too am a fan of Cassina. Exquisite design...

·
Registered
768 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

·
Registered
913 Posts

·
Registered
3,258 Posts

·
Registered
3,188 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry Montlick
This is the best that I know of. It is fully reclinable.

:D
On a somewhat serious note on recliners.... I was reading Stereophile Guide to Home Theatre and the HT architect series by Russ H. He states that he uses low backs for the reasons that Thunder cites but he also avoids recliners. Why? when calibrating sound it is done with the chair in the upright position. So when the chair is reclined all the calibration goes to waste. So he uses chairs with ottomans. For myself, I comprimise - my chairs backs go up to my shoulders. Great for sound especially for 2 ch. But if I want to relax and I am not too concerned with sound (the odd chick flick, documentary, comedy etc) I pop up the hidden headrests on my chairs. Although my chairs recline, I have ottomans in the front row and have foot rest in the 2nd row.

Thunder as the for the Ikea Pong chairs - I wouldn't even bother. I feel they are lousy chairs (having owned one) in terms of comfort and seating height. It would be difficult to modify because of the way the frame is set and the way the slip cover goes over the frame. On top of this the Pong chairs look kind of cheap in a well built theatre.

·
Registered
768 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thunder as the for the Ikea Pong chairs - I wouldn't even bother. I feel they are lousy chairs (having owned one) in terms of comfort and seating height. It would be difficult to modify because of the way the frame is set and the way the slip cover goes over the frame. On top of this the Pong chairs look kind of cheap in a well built theatre.[/quote]

Eric, i agree, they don't have the look or build quality I'm after. I think I may just keep what I have (same as seen in photo gallery) and consider a custom attachment for a head reast that is audiophile friendly. If I ever get this done, I'll post pics.

The lack of (serious) response to chairs that are available confirms that knowone is addressing the comfort and sonic needs of the audiophile, interesting.

·
Registered
3,258 Posts
At least one person appreciates my warped sense of humor. :)

- Terry

·
Premium Member
7,219 Posts
I think I maybe a litte more warped because when I saw Terry's chair, listening to music wasn't the first thing that came to mind for a use for that chair:). And it's even got a light ;)

·
Registered
4,351 Posts
I was thinking Art Sonneborn should equip his theater with them. You've got a fully adjustable light for reading, and the all-important disposal cup for those long movies :D

·
Premium Member
3,832 Posts
My vote would be a Love Sac raised on a platform (to get the ear height correct). These are basically high end bean bag chairs... very comfortable and no headrest issues. Of course the looks may be an issue :)

·
Registered
768 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg_R
My vote would be a Love Sac raised on a platform (to get the ear height correct). These are basically high end bean bag chairs... very comfortable and no headrest issues. Of course the looks may be an issue :)
I have a similar type of couch like that now. What I'm looking for is a couch/chair like this but has a head rest, dare I say it, like a dentist chair :) A headrest that will not cause reflection issues with 2 channel and blocking issues with multi-channel. I would like to have a headrest but without the above issues.

·
Registered
768 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Agreed, that looks pretty good. Who makes it?

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
I cant recall the user or the thread name but does anyone recall that fantastic room that was built in a barn? It was in this forum. Tremendous acoustic design and fantastic equipment and he had a chair that he raved about. I recall it using foam that is used in the space program.... not sure what that means though :confused:

Wes

·
Registered
206 Posts
I use a chair from American Leather, I believe it's the Carlisle. Highly recommended. Use the recliner (the most comfortable I've ever found) at the risk of falling asleep.... :)

Drew Dean

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.