AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
3,329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What do you recommend? I'm a late adopter by financial necessity and have zero experience with bluetooth headphones or bluetooth speakers. I've turned an old freebie Bose wave radio into a bluetooth speaker by adding an external adapter, but that's it.

Noise canceling is a nice plus, so that I'm not disturbed by environmental noise while watching TV.

If at all possible, it would be great if these headphones also will work as bluetooth monitors for a live performance sound reinforcement recording. That's a secondary function however, and if necessary I'd be okay going with a separate pair of wired headphones or wifi headphones at a later date.

I've seen some reviews:

and the WH-1000XM5 looks like a good option for the TV.

However, I'm a little leery of Sony because all the headphones I've had from them self-destructed the first time I dropped them. $400 is a lot of money to drop on gear that breaks the first time I drop it.

Then there's also the Headphones Connect iPhone app. Can this app control the headphones when they are linked to the TV or mixer instead of the iPhone? Does Headphones Connect function properly with the (now obsolete, apparently) iPhone 11 pro, or is the codec in the iPhone obsolete and incompatible?

If they won't connect to two devices simultaneously, can the WH-1000XM5 instead be pre-configured with the iPhone and retain that configuration through a second pairing? That would be more awkward, but doable, since these would mostly get used with either the TV or the iPhone anyway.

Finally, there's the question of latency. Can my TV adequately compensate for the Bluetooth latency? I've heard that latency with Bluetooth is problematic for TVs. If not, I'd be more amenable to some alternative wireless technology such as WiFi because I definitely don't want massive lag in the audio. However, I do definitely want wireless headphones for this particular application.

Thanks for your advice and expertise. Always a pleasure interacting with you guys.

· Registered
4,422 Posts
I have Sony QC35 IIs and they do pretty good for latency with TV and blu ray from the player, no apparent problem. I get some minor lip sync with the LG internal netflix app. I haven’t tried it yet with the Apple TV Netflix app. Some of your other questions, I can’t answer.

Generally I preferred wired solutions. I can use my AVR optical input from the TV and use my wired headphones with extension cable. For my phone I love my Shure 215SE earbuds, they are truly a good budget friendly audiophile option. Also on planes they do a very good job of noise isolation.

· Registered
4,113 Posts
There is a 17,000 dollar measuring system for headphones,

Gives you pages of information, I don't have one but Audio Science Review does! Amble over in that direction and they have tested dozens of headphones--you'd be amazed on what is accurate and what is not!

Once you get the ones that are the most accurate, then it is the hard part--are they comfortable? That is a very personal choice so if I was going to wear them for any length of time, comfort can then go to number one on the charts. That is purely on you!

For that reason, I never recommend headphones--a range of them that are accurate but my cranial bone is not like your cranial bone. Briefs of boxers? What running shoes are best? Well, in that case you'd have to answer that yourself.

Me? I don't like headphones clamping on my head--it starts to bother me after about 20 minutes so I use big cans to stay away from my cranial hole wrinkley things--your mileage will vary.

Dr. Floyd Toole...yeah, THAT guy uses Bose headphones when flying. Yup, he can probably get anything Harmon makes for free but he uses Bose. Why? Personal comfort...becomes priority when traveling across the big pond. So don't leave out anything when it comes to comfort, even Bose (Dr. Floyd Toole approved!)

· Registered
2,045 Posts
I'm a Sennheiser guy but I didn't think "Bluetooth" and "audiophile" could be uttered in the same sentence. I still run wired cans when I possibly can. Maybe aptX and other Bluetooth technology has gotten better?

I do have various Bluetooth earbuds though.

· Registered
6 Posts
I'd recommend going wired. I have the LG oled and none of their recent model support aptx ll, so you're going to be getting both low quality audio that's also delayed via bluetooth.

· Registered
848 Posts
Bluetooth will never be as good as wired sound. However, there are some codecs that when the right headset is matched to the right system where they can be exploited, sound good ... not great but good. You may want to look up Bluetooth and see the various codecs and that should be your starting point. A better option would be a small good portable player you wear and a wired headset that has matched impedance requirements. If you must use Bluetooth, look up LDAC as a codec starting point. (Apple is not* in the running at all.)

A good compromise might be a set of headphones that can handle the better codecs and* also can be directly cabled in for the best sound. I have a rather pedestrian bluetooth headset that sounds very good but much better when I use the cable connection.

· Registered
3,329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
We don't want to be tripping over a 10' headphone extension cable any more. We are mobility impaired and it's too dangerous plus it's a pain for storage.

I won't be running 30' optical around the perimeter of the living room to my sofa. I've had to replace the optical between the TV and the HT receiver twice already because the cats keep climbing into/onto the furniture and chewing through the flimsier vintage cables dangling there that are coated in thick lusciously soft chewable plastic. I had to buy a set of multiple cheap replacement optical cables so I always have one available. The $5 ones are thinner than spaghetti and hard. Maybe they will last a little longer.

The only reason the cats haven't already destroyed the Monoprice 30' optical from the computer to the receiver is because it's zip-tie bundled with the speaker wires and inaccessible to their teeth. They'd surely destroy the long headphone optical the first time I left it dangling off the TV, if they didn't chew through the part left dangling off the sofa first.

Wireless is essential. This is a must-have.

My hearing taps out around 11KHz from ototoxic medications, age, SPL abuse, and snoring. The threshold is elevated all the way down to 3KHz, actually it's up at least 40dB at 6KHz (per my home brew hearing test with ffmpeg that I calibrated to the equal loudness contour threshold published on Wikipedia). Fortunately my perception is still pretty good through the range and levels I can still hear, even though there's significant tinnitus riding on it. I can still equalize a mix through the upper midrange anyway and get decent results as long as the listening level isn't so loud that my hearing starts distorting.

Even though the treble is gone, good sound quality is still somewhat important though because any anomalies in the transducer response within my bandwidth do ride on top of my existing trashed response and further impair dialog intelligibility. I have a difficult time making out dialog through cheap/TV speakers now, especially with all the acoustic absorption removed from the room because the animals prefer to use it for urine absorption. No they aren't all mine, don't ask, it's miserable and there's nothing I can do about it because I only have partial ownership of the property, fortunately the sofa is leather and it doesn't soak in, let that be enough TMI.

I'm certain I will be much more sensitive to the latency than the sound quality because I'll be able to hear latency even if I'm nearly deaf. If my CX can't avoid latency issues, there's no point even considering quality bluetooth phones.

Are there competing wireless headphone transceivers that have better performance than bluetooth? I could run the transmitter off the headphone out jack of the HT receiver. That's how it used to be done, right? Are they still available? Is there an affordable version? I'd rather use a transceiver than wireless phones with the receiver built in if I have to go that route. Then I can choose whichever phones I want if the wireless is independent. Still available? Where?

Then I could add a separate pair of cheap bluetooth headphones dedicated to the iPhone for traveling that I won't mind losing or breaking, and not care so much about getting an all-in-one solution that doesn't meet any of my requirements.

Whew. Can this possibly get any more high maintenance? Thanks again for your useful suggestions. Sorry for the novel.

· Registered
2,045 Posts
Used to work as a carpet cleaner back in college as to side hustle. Cat urine is the worst. It crystallizes when it dries and just comes back in full force anytime it got wet, including regular steam cleaning or carpet shampoo. It gets down in the padding and you have to use injections to neutralize it or it's there forever smelling up your house.

I had this animal pee/moisture detector tool with two sharpened prongs at the bottom that I walked around the carpet sticking into it and every time it beeped that was $10.

I feel for you and wish you the best of luck. My cat uses an automatic cat box from littermaid(highly recommended) and has never peed on the carpet or she'd be out on the street. Once a week I empty the receptacle and that's it. Been smooth as silk for 2 years.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts