AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
572 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just purchased John Lennon's Imagine album on vinyl by Mobile Fidelity Sound Labs (You know the ones that say Original Master Recording on them) and it's the best sounding recording I've ever heard. This disk has hardly any ticks or pops and is dead silent. The detail and sound stage is stunning. Wow!

This is the first MFSL recording I've heard and I'm itching for more. What audiophile recordings do you guys recommend.

BTW, what is the best internet site to order quality records from?

thanks!

·
Registered
2,027 Posts
I just ordered some Jimmy Page and The Black Crows Live at the Greek, did allot of searching and found the best price on eBay for the import. It's not 180, but there were plenty there at reasonable prices, unfortunately not in this album though.

And I know what you mean about vinyl, I really miss it. We are working around the house, and are converting a spare bedroom (junk room) into a walk-in closet, and guess what I found! My good old turntable, a Denon DP-DJ151. So, I drug her out and figured a call to Acoustic Sounds was in order, so I ordered a Parasound Zphono preamp and a new Denon DL-160 Cartridge and a small table from Amazon to set her on. I also bought a new dust cover, as mine somehow managed to become pretty scratched up, someone threw a bunch of junk on it and scratched it to hell. I can't wait for it all to get here, two channel here we come again!

Mike

·
Registered
4,981 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
I like vinyl for what it is. The typical pressings I have measured had about 40 dB (or less) of dynamic range from peak signal to noise floor. That's enough for most pop music, not so good for classical.

I have a ton of old vinyls, and the ones I like have been digitally re-recorded using noise suppression which makes them tolerable to listen to.

·
Registered
2,027 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bountyh /forum/post/16950357

I like vinyl for what it is. The typical pressings I have measured had about 40 dB (or less) of dynamic range from peak signal to noise floor. That's enough for most pop music, not so good for classical.

I have a ton of old vinyls, and the ones I like have been digitally re-recorded using noise suppression which makes them tolerable to listen to.

You didn't have friends as a teenager did you? The vinyl has a sound, call it nostalgic, that a CD just does not have, no matter the db.

Mike

1 - 5 of 5 Posts