Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I am seeking the best speaker set for music and movies. The house was custom built, including in-wall locations for the television and stereo, but no allowance was ever made for speakers.

To preserve the character of the room, I would like to find quality "audiophile" speakers that may be hung on the walls. I need the full surround group including subwoofer.

The room is a large open area with a 25ft ceiling so it has to be a good set.

Thanks in advance for your help.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Check out Audes Audio www.audes.com for dynamite, audiophile grade, on wall speakers. The Audes room at CES always stirs attention with there floor standing array of speakers offering wonderful design, great build quality, and breathtaking sonics,,,, at VERY competitive prices. The Audes on-wall HT speakers are no exception to the norm.

Jack

·
Banned
1,488 Posts
NHT's new L5 (June) is the $900/pr 3-way M5 audiophile monitor in a 6"x6"x20" aluminum slim-line enclosure and different tuning for on-wall use for $100/pr more. It's the best on-wall speaker I've seen thus far in terms of audiophile design, not having seen the above. Of course, imaging will never be the same with on-wall speakers, no matter how good they are.

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
Thiel Powerpoints, one of the few speakers specifically designed for on ceiling or on wall mounts.

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
If you don't have a budget and your sense of aesthetics permits it, try Vandersteen VSM signatures enhanced with the 2WQ subwoofer. Your mains should have one sub for each speaker, in addition, you should have one sub for each side for side and rear speakers. The sigs go for about $1,800/pair and the the 2Wq go for about $1,300 each. But you get flat response to 20hz for your money. If you do this, I would also recommend you get an additional LFE if you like shaking the room.

You could go much cheaper and still get a satisfying sound with the VSM-1 (about $1,000/pair ), but you should make sure they play loud enough for your HT without the 2WQ before buying them.

Note, you can buy either the VSM-1 or the VSM signature , then add the subs at any time.

·
Premium Member
3,832 Posts
If in-wall speakers are an option take a look at Triad and Paradigm...

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I would rather not spend more than $3-4k for all of the speakers. Thank you for all of your help everyone!

·
Registered
474 Posts
Magnepan makes some pretty trick wall hangable panels, as does Martin Logan...

·
Registered
173 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by loganross
I would rather not spend more than $3-4k for all of the speakers. Thank you for all of your help everyone!
Look at M&K, I ordered 5 Xenon 25 LCR's & V76 sub, 2803 denon, denon 1600 dvd for the same price as the top Bose system (what he wanted lol)

I'm hooking them up tomorrow so I cant tell you how they sound, Im sure it will crush the Bose though.

·
Registered
5 Posts
The Artcoustics are fantastic. They have just brought out a new model, the Diablo Mini, which is small, very cool looking and sounds amazing.(I've just got some!)

·
Registered
41 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by jackson
Check out Audes Audio www.audes.com for dynamite, audiophile grade, on wall speakers. The Audes room at CES always stirs attention with there floor standing array of speakers offering wonderful design, great build quality, and breathtaking sonics,,,, at VERY competitive prices. The Audes on-wall HT speakers are no exception to the norm.

Jack
Try the B&W site at bwspeakers.com and you will find the Nautilus SCM or if you have the $$$ Signature SCM.They are wonderfoul speakers.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Not true, infinity baffle is the best you can do, record studios build there speakers into the wall flushed for the same reason, you here by avoid nasty group delays and baffle difractions, a normal Hifi speaker sound bad close to the wall, but specific build on wall speakers is a very differen thing.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.