AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was using my Audiophile with Win98SE until now.

I was able to send a WAV through the audiophile by bypassing all the windows stuff... so I was sure the coaxial output was bit-to-bit corresponding to the WAV.

Now I installed WindowsXP and the WDM drivers. I cannot do it anymore... Windows is managing the volume and waves are mixed before they go to the Audiophile.

How can I have the previous behavior with Windows XP? As I want the cleanest sound as possible?

·
Premium Member
728 Posts
What version WDM drivers are you using? 5.12.1.25?

I am using these drivers w/XP Pro and it works fine. How can you tell that Windows is controlling the volume? I'm a bit uneducated in that area.

Now, when it comes to S/PDIF passthrough, that's a different story. It doesn't work at all w/PowerDVD. With WinDVD, it stutters horribly. I'm hoping TheaterTek or PowerDVD XP 4 will fix this. Have you had luck with S/PDIF?

·
Registered
261 Posts
I am using WinDVD with Audiophile 24/96 S/PDIF passthrough and WindowsXP HE version.

It works fine and I have no studder.

Since I am new to all of this, I would not have been successful in making it work had it not been for the help from people on this forum.

My problem was a very stupid one, it never occurred to me to go to the windows control panel, find the audio card and click S/SPDIF passthrough.

After I did that everything worked fine.

Raymond

·
Premium Member
728 Posts
Hmmmm. I hope there are not issues with XP Pro. I have not tested the Home edition. WinDVD 2.8 definitely stutters on Pro.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I've got the same problem with XP PRO and latest drivers as posted on the M-Audio web site. I had to put in a Turtle Beach Santa Cruz that I had around...that worked with PowerDVD 3.

Guess I'll hunt around xp for further settings....I'd like my audiophile back. Anybody got any thoughts?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
>What version WDM drivers are you using? 5.12.1.25?

Yes

>I am using these drivers w/XP Pro and it works fine. How can

>you tell that Windows is controlling the volume? I'm a bit

>uneducated in that area.

1) in the control panel, if you use the windows mixer... it lowers the volume without using the Maudio panel.

2)You can run several songs at a time without saturating the output.

Otherwise, no problem, everything work fine. (I'm currently using PowerDVD XP.)

·
Registered
261 Posts
For what it's worth, I am using WinDvd 3.0

Raymond

·
Registered
4,310 Posts
Hi All:

___Under XP Pro, the M-Audio AP2496 w/ the 5.12.1.25 allows AC-3 pass-thru/DTS via S/PDIF using the TheaterTek player, WinDVD 2000 2.6.4 and 2.8, PowerDVD XP 4.0, and the ATI 4.1 player (not DTS under the ATI player of course) that I have used so far. All on a std. Asus CUSL2 w/ Radeon …

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes

___Hunt Club Farms Landscaping Ltd.

___ [email protected]

·
Premium Member
728 Posts
Wow. I must be having bad luck b/c WinDVD 2.6.4 and 2.8 does not work for me. I tried both. Nothing but studder. And I have repeatedly reinstalled my audiophile. I wonder if I'm having problems now, that I'll continue to have problems whether I use TT or PowerDVD XP 4.0?

Everything works beautifully under WinME - same hardware.

·
Registered
261 Posts
I have just downloaded the XP upgrade for PowerDVD 3.0 hoping that I would get DTS S/PDIF passthrough with Audiophile 24/96 audio card.

All I get is the DTS signal coming through intermittantly and then nothing.

It is not clear on the Cyberlink website if this upgrade results in converting PowerDVD 3.0 to the 4.0 version.

Any ideas?

Raymond

·
Registered
3 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by cwhitsett
What version WDM drivers are you using? 5.12.1.25?

I am using these drivers w/XP Pro and it works fine. How can you tell that Windows is controlling the volume? I'm a bit uneducated in that area.

Now, when it comes to S/PDIF passthrough, that's a different story. It doesn't work at all w/PowerDVD. With WinDVD, it stutters horribly. I'm hoping TheaterTek or PowerDVD XP 4 will fix this. Have you had luck with S/PDIF?
PowerDVD XP and Windows XP work perfect with the 24/96 card via the S/PDIF port.

·
Registered
261 Posts
D-Tools,

Does yours work fine with DTS? I have no problem with AC3.

Raymond

·
Premium Member
728 Posts
Well, I just installed the PowerDVD XP 4.0 trial version. Nothing but studder for S/PDIF. I am not happy.

Wayne-

You said WinXP Pro has worked for you. Any suggestions as to what is going on here? I have everything optimally configured for the Audiophile...I don't know what else to try.

·
Registered
957 Posts
I have Windows XP HE. I just upgraded to PowerDVD 4.0 XP which works fine. DTS for DVDs works via S/PDIF as advertised. The problem is that audio DTS will not work. (just as with WinDVD 3.0). Since the Midi website states the 5.12.1.25 drivers do not support DTS I expect that is the problem. Has anyone heard of updated driver in the works which supports Audio CD DTS?

·
Registered
261 Posts
RJW,

I just want to make sure I understand this.

PowerDVD 4.0 XP passes through DTS (S/PDIF) from a DVD movie using an Audiophile 24/96 audio card, but it does not passthrough CD DTS.

Is this correct?

Raymond

·
Registered
957 Posts
Ray.

Thats the way my hardware is reacting and it is consistent with the verbage on the Midiman site. I have read where it has something to do with the bit rate of Audio CD DTS vs DVD DTS audo.

·
Premium Member
728 Posts
Once again, does anyone have any suggestions?

S/PDIF stutters on XP Pro and I can't think of what to do. I remember having this problem back when I set up my HTPC for WinME - I kept re-installing the M-Audio sound card and it all of a sudden worked! These are my specs:

WinXP Pro

ASUS A7V133

AMD 1.2GHz-C T-Bird/512Mb PC-133 RAM

ATI Radeon LE

M-Audio AP2496

I've tried WinDVD 2.8 and I get the same results. I would be curious as to what is happening on a technical level, when the sound card yields stuttering.

I greatly appreciate any feedback!

·
Registered
261 Posts
RJW,

I just downloaded PowerDVD 4.0XP. Every time I try to run a DVD with a DTS sound track I get 5 seconds of sound then popping starts and the sound drops out. AC3 is ok.

I am using the latest Audiophile drivers and a CUSL2- Radeon combination.

Any ideas how to fix this?

Raymond

·
Registered
957 Posts
cwhitsett. Have you considered updating to WinDVD 3.0. I had to do that to get the SPDIF to work for me. I had a problem with WinDVD2000 also PowerDVD3.0 would not work even with the XP patch. With the latest SW player they both work great. As I noted earlier the AP 24/96 does not yet support cd Audio DTS.

Just another question do you have the Av 24/96 set to consumer?

Also have you have gone to the control panel and selected

Control panel/sounds and audio devices/sound playback/ S/PDIF Delta-AP

That's all it took for my S/PDIF passthrough to work. Sorry for hijacking your thread.

·
Registered
957 Posts
Raymond, I have not had a problem as you describe. Have you restarted your machine since you upgraded? I have the same basic settings as I noted in my earlier post. Maybe you need to reload the the 5.12.1.25 driver for the AP 24/96.

Excel or Cliff Watson have forgot more about this stuff than I will ever know. Maybe they can help you out.

Rick

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.