AVS Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7,251 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I just received this and did some testing today. So far, so good. Build quality is high and it does what I expect, which is to power my speakers. I bought it to run my FL and FR which happen to be 4 ohm speakers, which allows my Denon X4500H to power all the other speakers I care to stuff into the room, up to 11 total channels. When listening to music with only 2 channels, I leave ECO mode ON and keep the AVR power and temps down, while the nCore amp powers the fronts. I am using the 12v trigger so it turns itself on and off with the AVR. Perfect.

I bought it here and it only took about a week to arrive from France. There are many similar units out there based on these modules but this looked the best in terms of price and build quality. It comes with a european power cord so you will need to supply your own. Fortunately the power supply can work with either 230v or 110v.

When I first switched between it and my Denon X4500H using the preouts, I heard a big difference. The nCore amplifier sounded less dynamic - it had less punchy bass.

Turns out, there is a large level disparity of 4 dB. Once level matched, they measured like this:

Front L+R 20 - 300 Hz
nCore Denon 1.png

Front L+R 300 - 20,000 Hz
nCore Denon 2.png

The ups and downs are just acoustical interference from the room.

There are small differences but I can't prove it isn't measurement variation. This is the average of 2 measurements each to eliminate some of that. Even if the differences are from the hardware, they are so small that I wouldn't expect anyone to be able to hear them. Where the nCore amp will steal the show is low distortion at high power and max power output - 250 watts is no joke and may even damage my hearing, my Buchardt S400's, or both

Anyway, I'm pleased with it after one day. Any questions or tests people would like to see, I will try to answer or run them.

Attachments

·
Registered
482 Posts
Very interesting read. I have been eyeing Hypex/Purifi for a while, so good to see some reviews. What made you choose Audiophonics over the other assemblers (Nord, VTV, KJF etc) ?

Does the amp have an auto on/off or is the 12V trigger the only option?

Also do the speakers pop when switched on/off or is it soft start? I also read that some Audiophonics units had a hum from the amp itself. Do hear any noise?

·
Registered
7,251 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Very interesting read. I have been eyeing Hypex/Purifi for a while, so good to see some reviews. What made you choose Audiophonics over the other assemblers (Nord, VTV, KJF etc) ?

Does the amp have an auto on/off or is the 12V trigger the only option?

Also do the speakers pop when switched on/off or is it soft start? I also read that some Audiophonics units had a hum from the amp itself. Do hear any noise?
I went with this one because I felt the hardware and the case were higher quality, at least to the best I could tell from the pictures and description. That said I only compared to IOM and Nord - and I mostly didn't go with Nord because it would have been a little more expensive, but also their cases are much larger. This thing is like 1/3 the width of my AVR.

I'm not aware of the other two brands you mentioned.

I also wanted the 12v trigger and not all of them have that. I think that is more reliable than an auto on/off.

There is a very light sound when turning it off, not really a pop but more of an "oomph" with a little bass to it. It can't be more than 50-60 dB. There's no sound at all when switched on. I would call it a silent start. There are a couple of startup clicks from the amp when it powers on, taking a second or two. Not unlike the AVRs I've owned.

So until you mentioned this I haven't noticed any odd sounds, but just to check I put my ear up to the speaker and sure enough there's a really light buzz. I mean I'm in a quiet room and my ear needs to be 6 inches from the tweeter to pick it up. No wonder I can't hear it from 9 feet away. If I were to measure it has to be below the noise floor of the room. I don't even think it would register. It also seems to change a little if I don't have the RCA's from the receiver hooked up.

Putting my ear to the amp itself, there is a light buzz. Again this isn't something I noticed until now so I can't hear it at my seat. Overall it's a non-issue in my opinion in a listening room.

Purifi on paper looks great. If I paid three times the price of this, would I hear a difference? I can't be certain, but I can be skeptical.

·
Registered
482 Posts
I went with this one because I felt the hardware and the case were higher quality, at least to the best I could tell from the pictures and description. That said I only compared to IOM and Nord - and I mostly didn't go with Nord because it would have been a little more expensive, but also their cases are much larger. This thing is like 1/3 the width of my AVR.

I'm not aware of the other two brands you mentioned.

I also wanted the 12v trigger and not all of them have that. I think that is more reliable than an auto on/off.

There is a very light sound when turning it off, not really a pop but more of an "oomph" with a little bass to it. It can't be more than 50-60 dB. There's no sound at all when switched on. I would call it a silent start. There are a couple of startup clicks from the amp when it powers on, taking a second or two. Not unlike the AVRs I've owned.

So until you mentioned this I haven't noticed any odd sounds, but just to check I put my ear up to the speaker and sure enough there's a really light buzz. I mean I'm in a quiet room and my ear needs to be 6 inches from the tweeter to pick it up. No wonder I can't hear it from 9 feet away. If I were to measure it has to be below the noise floor of the room. I don't even think it would register. It also seems to change a little if I don't have the RCA's from the receiver hooked up.

Putting my ear to the amp itself, there is a light buzz. Again this isn't something I noticed until now so I can't hear it at my seat. Overall it's a non-issue in my opinion in a listening room.

Purifi on paper looks great. If I paid three times the price of this, would I hear a difference? I can't be certain, but I can be skeptical.

Thanks, this is very helpful. I’m attracted to this unit because of the small size as well. Speaker noise at 6 inches is quite normal. If you could hear it at 1 ft, that would be loud. Hum fro the amp may be a little more concerning. If it’s not audible at 1ft or greater I’m not so concerned. Maybe experiment with removing the 12v and/or rca/XLR cables you see if there’s a ground loop.

The pic looks great. Looks like a really cute amp

1 - 7 of 7 Posts