AVS Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have 2 sw15 subs 12 years old, one the amp died. I can get this plate amp for $99

http://www.parts-express.com/dayton-audio-spa250-250-watt-subwoofer-plate-amplifier--300-803

It is 8.5"x8.5" my opening is 7 7/8" x 7 1/8" so I have to cut the box.

Does any one know of a plate amp that will fit?

Also I have read that I should mod the box with 10 gauge wire to the driver and add poly fill to the box.

Tech support at parts express said 10 gauge wire is not necessary and the extra poly fill makes little difference.

Any advice or opinions will be appreciated.

Although I would like a brand new sub, since I have two, repairing this one seems to be the best option.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Most these plate amp will fail right after the warranty of 1 year, that is bad deal for customers. I would suggest find an amp with 5 years warranty.

My amp in my PSB sub died. I recently got a radio shack PA 250a amp to run it.

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
Waynezo. You can get by with 14 gauge wire. You do not need any polyfill. You can look for explanation at www.data-bass .com.

Parts Express is one of the few places that carry replacement plate amps. Look at the Yung amps at PE. Some of them are smaller.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I am now thinking I should spend more and get the BIC Acoustech PL-200 sub with bash amp and 1000 peak watts.
http://www.acousticsounddesign.com/core/view_BigProduct.cfm?pid=1555&sc=28

My living room is aprox 15 x 20. Is it possible the PL 200 with 12" driver will perform better than both audiosource sw15's? Although the sw15's are big they are probably an average sub at best.

I have PL-76 towers already.

Any opinions will be appreciated

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
In the under $300 category, the PL-200 is highly recommended in this forum.

To run the old subwoofer with rgw dead amp, you need a standalone amp and to run the amplification (line) directly to the speaker. This involves unscrewing the plate amp and running the line directly to the speaker (subwoofer driver). Some people have drilled a hole in the amp, run the line directly to the speaker, and sealed the whole (to assure a good air seal).

"It is 8.5"x8.5" my opening is 7 7/8" x 7 1/8" so I have to cut the box."

This is a jury-rig situation (that I did). You can create a rectangular shape from 2"x4"s that is glued to the back of the subwoofer enclosure and screw the new amp (making sure you have an air seal) to the 2"x4"s. I used a 8"x12" PE 500w BASH amp to replace a 7"x13" amp that was ~11 years old.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts