AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am considering purchasing an Audiotron unit and have a few questions about networking. I currently have an 10/100 ethernet network with a Linksys router/switch. However in the room where I want to put the Audiotron it will not be easy to run a new cat 5 drop. I do have a phone line handy though. First, I would like to know from people who are using HPNA with the AT how well it works. Second, if I do decide to use it what is the most econonical way to do it. Will I need anything other than a HPNA pci card or HPNA USB adapter?. Any specific recommendation or warnings regarding brand or type? Is there any problems with running an ethernet card and HPNA card in the same machine (using XP home). Thanks for the info.

Jay

·
Registered
2,013 Posts
I haven't tried bridging HPNA and Ethernet using a PC, but have used another alternative: a dedicated HPNA-to-Ethernet bridge device. I've had good results with the Netgear PE102 bridge (not with Audiotron, but with a similar device, the Compaq Music Center). I bought this last year for around $110 direct from Netgear, but for some reason this year they're charging more, like $180. For the $50 difference ($110 bridge vs $60 USB adapter), it was worth it to not have to screw with my PC settings, add another potentially flakey device driver to my system, risk the link going down when I reboot the PC, etc. I'm not sure it's worth a $120 difference, though. Might be a good alternative if you can find a used one.

·
Registered
208 Posts
I have the same network setup you have and my AudioTron works great on it. However, I am not sure you will many people running HPNA. It is my understanding that is a less desirable way to run an AudioTron. You might have better luck on the Turtle Beach Forum. The only downside is that forum is not very active, but you may find some old posts that will answer your questions.

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the input guys. BTW, buy.com has the Netgear PE102 bridge for $118 and a D-Link HPNA USB unit for $27. I'm still not sure what I'm going to do yet.

Jay

·
Registered
5 Posts
Have you considered a powerline bridge? I had the same problem and solved it using the Linksys Powerline Bridge (PLEBR10). Works great.

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by lsk
Have you considered a powerline bridge? I had the same problem and solved it using the Linksys Powerline Bridge (PLEBR10). Works great.
I don't have any experience with the powerline stuff. I guess I would need the powerline bridge at the Audiotron end and a powerline USB adapter at the computer end. buy.com has them for about $80 each. Are you using the powerline stuff for an Audiotron or other application? Thanks.

Jay

·
Registered
5 Posts
I use the powerline stuff to interface with my Audiotron and works real well. I have using a powerline network in my home for the last few months and so far very few problems or issues. It is easy to setup and is quite reliable. I would recommend it as an alternative but just make sure that you do not connect it through a surge protector, it may not work.

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
The powerline stuff in this case simply bridges to ethernet so you just use your lan that you said you have.

Phil

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.