AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I am very close to buying Audiotron after researching various alternatives.

Can anyone of the owners confirm that the following configuration would work:

- Audiotron connected to the wired network and to the HT

- Music files (no compression) stored on one of the computers on the same network

- I would like to control the Audiotron from the laptop that has wireless connection to the same network.

- Audiotron, laptop and PC are connected through the Linksys Wireless-G router.

Thanks,

Vitaly

·
Registered
33 Posts
I'm not sure how well wav audio would work over your wireless network (not related to the AT really), but everthing else is fine. There are a variety of control mechanisms for the AT including a web interface, my own Flash interface and a ton of others. Tasters choice.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
This is the whole point.

I do not want ot send audio over the wireless connection, only commands.

The audio should be fetched by Audiotron from the wired PC.

·
Registered
33 Posts
The Audiotron will fetch the audio from the machine hosting it. So if your file shares are on wired machines, then it will go over the wired network. But if you have a file on a machine on the wireless network, it will of course have to go over the wireless network to get to the Audiotron. Make sense?

·
Registered
2,584 Posts
I have this setup as well, works great.

And as djmaxm said, there are lots of interfaces you can use to control the AT from your wireless notebook. The AT has it's own native browser interface, but it's very slow and not very useful for regular day to day control.

Djmaxm's audreyAT interface is much better -- really quite good for a browser solution.

Then there's jafvatron (which I've never tried).

And finally there's alternatron (now called xtron in beta) which would actually store all of the tag info (including cover art) locally on your notebook so that the interface feels instantaneous (like music match for example). This is probably the best solution (I use it and it's terrific) but it will cost a modest amount -- something like $29 -- since the developer has to recoup his out of pocket for licensing the third party developer software that was necessary to create it. But you can't use xtron on a pocketpc or audrey the way you can use audreyAT.

·
Registered
109 Posts
SO how would audioTron work over wireless network?

I have PC with lots of Harddrive space upstairs and Denon 2803 downstairs. I ALready have Linksys 2.4gig network. I use it with Wireless bridge for my XBox.

Could I send Audio over wireless net to receiver? If it has to be lower quality mp3 that is OK I guess. It would just be nice to be able to do.

Joe

·
Registered
2,584 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by JoeCane
SO how would audioTron work over wireless network?

I have PC with lots of Harddrive space upstairs and Denon 2803 downstairs. I ALready have Linksys 2.4gig network. I use it with Wireless bridge for my XBox.

Could I send Audio over wireless net to receiver? If it has to be lower quality mp3 that is OK I guess. It would just be nice to be able to do.

Joe
Yes, the audiotron streams mp3 fine over a normal 11 mbps wireless network like the linksys (I used by audiotron for a while with 2 linksys wap-11 access points as a bridge to my linksys router, but a better solution is to get a linksys wet-11 to act as a bridge directly to your wireless router/access point).

You don't need to heavily compress the mp3s -- I got 320kbps mp3s to stream fine. I didn't try any uncompressed .wav files, but I gather that that may tax the bandwidth too much. However, see http://pub90.ezboard.com/fturtlebeac...icID=122.topic . In any event, if you stick with mp3s you should be fine.

By the way, I ended up cat 5 wiring the audiotron because from time to tme Iwould get interference from other electronic devices that was enough to kill the signal. YMMV.

·
Registered
215 Posts
I don't know if anything has changed, but Audiotron doesn't support any security - does it? You have to leave the "server" completely open and unprotected. Not a problem... unless you are connected to the internet.

Anyone with one of these boxes address this? Has there been a s/w update that addresses this?

Just curious... noone seems to mention it.

BigRed

·
Registered
33 Posts
firewall... Definitely not something you put on the public net unless you want full access. There's a username/pwd on all functions I think, but that's weak protection at best. I wouldn't put any of these audio players outside the fw.

·
Registered
2,584 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by BigRed
I don't know if anything has changed, but Audiotron doesn't support any security - does it? You have to leave the "server" completely open and unprotected. Not a problem... unless you are connected to the internet.

Anyone with one of these boxes address this? Has there been a s/w update that addresses this?

BigRed
I don't understand your point. The audiotron goes on your internal LAN, along with the other pcs that are on that LAN. You certainly can -- and should!! -- have a firewall between your LAN and the outside world.

Internally, the alternatron allows you to use the same security you would ordinarily use. So for XP users, you would set up audtiotron as an account user in XP with a specific password. And then you would grant that specific account user read-only access to your music files (and nothing else).

So what part of security do you think the audiotron compromises compared to simply having another pc on your LAN?

·
Registered
2,463 Posts
Quote:

BigRed

My Audiotron unit is fully protected by my DSL/Router. I don't have any ports open for it and it shares the same security as does the other computers in my house. So I wouldn't worry about internet sercurity.

Dave

·
Registered
78 Posts
Quote:

BigRed
Just out of curiosity, what damage could a hacker do? I believe the admin web pages are password protected. I guess they could play hell with your playlists.

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
I think the issue is not the AT but the server that stores the MP3 files. This is a legit concern but as others have said, use a firewall. This has nothing to do with the AT - you'd be pretty foolish to run a lan that's open to the wild wild web cause you WILL get hacked.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.