AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can someone explain to me why the AT web interface to control the AT can't be replaced by WMP9 or MusicMatch with a software plug in?

Ultimately, I'd like to access one piece of software to rip CDs to my PC library and playback my library all in the same application and UI form factor.

If a plug in is needed, who would have to develop it?

Software developers, forgive this layman's question. I'm not a developer.

·
Registered
2,013 Posts
OK - I'll bite. How about the obvious question - if you're already at your PC running WMP or Musicmatch, exactly WHY do you need an Audiotron in the first place?

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Because I'm driving a home av system using it. Most of the listening will be in the kitchen zone where the PC is. Much easier to walk over to the PC to pick your listening pleasure than fumbling with the remote.

Instead of using the Audiotron www interface for control, why not use the WMP9 which is a better interface that my wife understands and she can rip CDs to our library with the same tool if it controlled the AT.

·
Registered
2,013 Posts
Well, you can get what you want if you:

1) ditch the Audiotron

2) buy another PC, locate it next to your A/V system (presumably where your Audiotron is now) and plug it in. Play tunes on it using WMP, Musicmatch, or whatever.

3) Use XP remote desktop or similar software to call up that PC's desktop on the kitchen PC or anywhere else in the house, to remotely control it.

Of course a PC is probably gonna cost you a bit more than the Audiotron, but since you don't seem to care about the Audiotron's front-panel UI or IR remote, then you won't miss it.

As for WHY WMP or Musicmatch don't control your Audiotron - might as well ask why Lotus 123 doesn't control it. It just doesn't.

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sorry jimre,

Not a good answer. Nothing personal.

Not an option to put a PC next to the AV system. This is why I bought the Audiotron in the first place to leverage my home network and PC jukebox.

And with PC tablets arriving on the market, what a great way to have a floating interface to the audiotron!

Secondly, a good software developer will know the answer to my query. Anyone?

·
Registered
2,013 Posts
Unfortunately I think you'll find much of the software development around jukeboxes like WMP and MM is for solving the *exact opposite* of your problem. ie, where 1) people hate how the default UI looks and want to change it, or 2) people hate using a mouse/keyboard for playing music and want something simpler, like an IR remote.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Duffin,

I would have to agree with you. I use my AudioTron the same way you do by running it though my AVS set-up. The sound is much better than any set of computer speakers. For $250 a pop, AudioTron is a much better solution than setting up additional computers throughout your home and maintaining them.

A plug-in would be possible with any of the programs you mentinoed. However, there probably are not enough AudioTron users around yet to justify doing it. I am sure someone will create one eventually, once these things are more mainstream. You should look around for forums on the software you like and post your question there.

I use Media Jukebox for my mp3's and they have a pretty active forum. However, I was only able to find one other person that uses an AudioTron on their forum. Believe it or not, he had 8 AudioTron's in his home. By the way, MJ new version 9 is about to be released and it is the best overall software for all of your AVS needs. www.MediaJukebox.com

There is a website that has some interesting stuff for AudioTron owners at http://www.tasman.nl/AT/ too. It is worth checking out and downloading some of the stuff there.

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
I dont understand why people insist on pushing a PC as a playback device. I love PCs and use them all over the place but the beauty of the AT class devices is they fit in the stereo rack and meet all the requirements there-in. (like small size, no fan noise, simple(r) operation)

I agree that the web API stuff is clunky. I assume you are familiar with Alternatron and xtron.

I too am looking at a simple web tablet type device that I can use to control the at via the web API. But why a plug-in to JB software? In theory, you should be able to use a web page (lots of customizability) or a stand alone app. The stylisitic looks like a possibility with 802.11b for connectivity.

and to your original question, it should be quite easy to build a simple plugin that uses IE to call the web APIs but I'm not gonna work on that!

Phil

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.