AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since I’m planning to replace my aging receiver, 2 weeks ago by chance I’ve heard the AVP700. The AVP700 was hooked-up to the Audio Refinement 5-channel amp, Arcam CD192 and Dynaudio 52 special addition. Since I heard this set-up with Arcam AVR300, I’ve expected similar results from the AVP700.

Well… AVP700 sounded much different and to my taste better. Immediately, I’ve noticed more extended highs that were airy but not fatiguing. The midrange was shifted forward and providing more of a 3- dimensional sound depth. Blues, Jazz and Rock sounded lively and dynamic. The sound stage was wide. The only thing that bothered me is the bass and mid-bass extension. To find the culprit, the dealer has swapped the 52’s with JM Labs Electra 927 Be. The bass extension has marginally improved but I quickly lost interest in music. I was not too impressed with these $6K speakers. They were very precise but way too sterile sounding for my taste.

Yesterday, I’ve auditioned AVP700 and P1000 combo. At first, they were plug-in to the same JM Labs speakers and for the second time I didn’t like these speakers. Then, we have swapped them with Dynaudio S3.4 speakers. The highs were extended and airy almost bordering brightness level but they were not fatiguing. Since I’ve not observed this kind of transparency before, I guess I’ll have to get used to such a high frequency extension.

The midrange was very transparent. It felt like someone has removed the veil from the vocalist. Overall sound presentation was dynamic and engaging. If I’m to nit pick, I’ve felt that P1000 did not have enough power to produce the kind of dynamics that I’m used to with my speakers. Since I’m not 100% sure that the amp is this at fault. I’ll try to audition the AVP700 and P1000 at my house and then pass the final judgment.

Best regards,

Alex

·
Registered
606 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlxG
The bass extension has marginally improved but I quickly lost interest in music. I was not too impressed with these $6K speakers. They were very precise but way too sterile sounding for my taste.
That's why you are making the right choice to try it in your home. I've mostly given up on in-store auditions (especially for processors). Speakers and room are such a factor that you can't truly compare anything unless these factors are equal.

Quote:
The highs were extended and airy almost bordering brightness level but they were not fatiguing. Since I’ve not observed this kind of transparency before, I guess I’ll have to get used to such a high frequency extension.
This was the factor that really surprised me. Until now, I'd always figured that I had to compromise a little bit of clarity for warmth or a little bit of fatigue for clarity. Having had both types, I decided I really needed that transparent detail, even if it meant a bit of "brightness". The AVP700 provides the best soundstage and transparent detail that I've heard, but is not harsh or fatiguing.

Quote:
If I’m to nit pick, I’ve felt that P1000 did not have enough power to produce the kind of dynamics that I’m used to with my speakers.
What speakers and room size do you have?

Chris

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Chris,

I prefer transparency/clarity over brightness... The AVP700 is not bright because it's not sterile or grainy sounding, it's very musical and engaging. I

think it very difficult to build a pre-amp with this kind of transparency without making it sound grainy and bright. In comparison to the AVP700, Anthem AVM-30 sounded bright. In my opinion, AVM -30 has a bright cold/sterile, grainy and univolving sound.

I really like AVP700 and decided to buy it. On the other hand, the amp selection will require lots of in-house auditioning. At point I would like to expand my amp choices such as: Outlaw, Gemstone, Arcam and Parasound.

Best regards,

Alex

·
Registered
606 Posts
As I have posted in other threads here, I currently own both the AVM30 and AVP700. While I agree that the Arcam is more musical, I think it's a bit of an overstatement to say that the AVM30 is "bright cold/sterile, grainy and univolving". The Anthem is detailed and unforgiving to be sure, but can sound pretty good with the right recordings. I would even agree with the sterile comment to a degree. However, when I compared the AVM30 against my "warmer" Denon 2900 player and Marantz SR8200 receiver, I found that they were less fatiguing, but lacked the detailed 'edges' that I like in music (especially jazz and prog rock).

Bottom line: the Arcam gave me the best of both worlds, and my Anthem will soon go for sale and find a home that will really appreciate its HT performance and features (which are both excellent for the price).

Chris

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Chris,

When I said that AVM-30 was " bright cold/sterile, grainy and univolving", more then likely this conclusion was based on the brighter then usual room accoustics and unforgivably revealing speakers.

Alex

·
Registered
606 Posts
I do think it comes down to preference and what you match it with. For years, I was convinced that I liked "warm" gear and was a fan of the older Marantz receivers for that reason. I think that in the receiver world, that is mostly true. The cool/bright options tend to be harsh and sterile. As you get into the mid-to-high end separates, the detailed sound quality and wider sound stage brings out the most in a good recording, but sometimes at the expense of brightness in some setups. Until recently, it didn't seem like there was a consensus music performer in the sub-$4k processor range. Now there are a couple that provide high-end sound quality without some of the super-features of the flagship recievers and processors.

Chris

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.