AVS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There is another thread from 2007 about auditioning speakers in NYC but I'm looking for something a bit more specific and that is to audition speakers with an Onkyo receiver. I just ordered the Onkyo 608 and currently have some old Jamo S10 surround speakers and an NHT center, all of them are about 15 or so years old and might need to be replaced. I don't have a sub so I'll need to have a listen to that as well.

The brands I'm most interested in are B&W, KEF, and anything I've not experienced before (think basic consumer). Budget will be $300-500, so I'm hoping to re-use the NHT center to reduce cost.

·
Registered
323 Posts
I don't know the model, but I've been using an old NHT center channel with my Von Schweikert speakers. My surround are also VS. They sound perfect with the rest of the speakers. I know how everyone says they should be timber matched. I have excellent hearing (I'm a court reporter) and there is nothing that I've noticed that ruins the sound while watching movies. I listen to music in my dedicated 2.1 room.

Why do you say they might be replaced? What speakers do you have as your mains?

·
Registered
30,788 Posts
Well, I am a proponent matching the front three speakers, so I would recommend getting nht L/R if you intend to keep the nht center. OTOH, I do not know of any mht dealers in Manhattan but you should as nht about that.

As for other shops, there are many but stay away from Best Buy since you cannot actually hear anything on their open shop floors.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts