Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here is an update on my Audrey Home Theater Control project:

I now have my X10 interface, and my PC to IRLINC infrared transmitter. I am sending TCP commands to Girder thru the Audrey to run the IRLINC ( haven't got to the X10 part yet ).

Everything seems to be running great. I have an "invisible" frame at the top of the page that I submit commands to, so that the main button pages dont have to refresh every time.

I am having trouble if I send too many commands at once, because the IRLINC program can have only one instance of itself open at a time.

Thanks to everyone here who helped me out! Attached is a picture of my main Audrey screen.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Nice work!

Would you mind sharing some of your code so others don't have to reinvent the wheel?

I created an HTML doc that uses VBScript to send the TCP data. It's not too professional though. I assume you're using ASP. Any examples would be greatly appreciated!

By the way, I am using a Fujitsu LT for my 'remote' (Pentium 266, 64MB RAM, 12GB HD, WinME). When I'm done creating the documents, I plan on making them an active desktop item so they're always there. I made one already that has TV listings, a large clock and scrolling news headlines. Pretty cool, even though active desktop is on it's way out the door.

Thanks!

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
There really isnt much code yet...Here is a sample from the DVD control page:

I use two frames, topFrame, and mainFrame. This way, the Audrey does not have to refresh the mainFrame on every click!

Here is the code in the of my topFrame:

·
Registered
326 Posts
Looks great!

I haven't made a whole lot of progress recently, been too busy with hardware stuff to work on the software side.

How are you making your buttons submit? I'm not quite grasping the Hidden input, I guess it's a data holder, but I can't figure out how you're using custom button images and still getting a submit action. :confused: Care to elucidate? Maybe some more source code samples? :D

And great idea with the frames. Defeats the slow refresh on the Audrey!

-will

·
Registered
326 Posts
New problem:

I just found out that when using the TCP/IP Server 2.0b7, Girder apparently doesn't release the TCP connection. After sending a command Girder was at 98% CPU utilization. I went back to version 1.3 of the TCP/IP Server plugin and everything seems to work fine now. Have you seen this behavior? I don't think it was doing this before, but I just installed WinXP, maybe that's it?

-will

·
Registered
326 Posts
Ah, another one of my string-along replies...

So I just found out that an Image Input type will submit, so that answers that. Now I just have to put my feeble computer graphic skills to work and make buttons... Thanks for more inspiration Brian!

-will

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I am using V2.0 of the TCP plugin.

Ya know, I have been noticing that after 5 or 6 commands in a row, things just seem to crap out. Maybe that is the problem? I will give the other TCP plugin a try.

Thanks!

Brian

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Here is a picture of my DSS control page. All of the images are of type:

with an onClick event that changes the one hidden field in the form. Everything works fine in IE5, but on the Audrey, the form submits but the hidden field just stays blank ( like the Audrey doesnt like the javascript: )

I need to find out if the javascript method I am trying to use there is not supported by the Audrey browser...

Brian

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
YEA! It finally works the way I want it to. Audrey finally understands me. I have two frames, topFrame, and mainFrame. The main frame changes the form variable in the top frame and submits it, which sends a TCP command to girder, which sends the IR command from the IRLINC.

Here is the basics of what I have done:

---------------

In the lower frame:

...This is just a picture with a link attached to it, which

...calls the javascript function in topFrame, submitThis(Value), and passes to it

...the command I wish to send to girder. I have these commands predefined in a

...file called commands.asp that I include at the top of the page

...EDIT: I had a little bit of script wrong here...I think it is fixed now

In the upperframe (topFrame by name):

...This is the ASP script to send a TCP command to girder.

...You must have the oswinsck.dll registered.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Ive had the same trouble with Girder's TCP/IP 2 plugin - 100% cpu time after it is first called.

I found clearing "quiet" mode (ie using "noisy") cured the problem.

Im trying to invent a round thing that I'm hoping might assist transportation - otherwise called Audrey as a wired remote. My favorite bit so far is WinAmp (on the HTPC) with httpQ plugin and IIS/CGI to get a playlist of my entire collection selectable from Audrey. http://www.attree.co.uk/audrey/MP3-remote.jpg

Current ambition - to get the modem/answer machine to mail audrey with new voice mail, just so I can have her cute lil green button flash at me - stumbling block: Audrey doesnt seem to want to speak PCM encoded Wav, prefering her own GSM6.10 dialect.

Its been extremely helpful seeing your (and others) work.

Thanks

·
Registered
918 Posts
I wrote some C code about 1.5 years ago that allowed a X10 Firecracker (Serial port dongle) to be controlled from a Windows CE device. Would this be helpful? If so, I'll start looking for it.

Send me email at [email protected] .

·
Registered
326 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by desmo
Ive had the same trouble with Girder's TCP/IP 2 plugin - 100% cpu time after it is first called.

I found clearing "quiet" mode (ie using "noisy") cured the problem.
I tried that, then my script wouldn't work anymore. I'd get a TCP_Disconnect message, but my command wouldn't execute. The 1.3 TCP/IP Server works fine though.

That playlist screen looks great! I just broke down and subscribed to ScreamDesign (AndyArt reincarnated). I'm going to start with some of their stuff and take it from there, I guess incorporating SnowCrash in a frame.

-will

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I started work on the DVD cover artwork page. I started an Access database, and have the covers come up 3 in a row on the Audrey. It is going to show all the covers of the 300 disk dvd changer, and start playing the one chosen ( mostly just because it is cool...I'll probably play ones on the projector thru the HTPC ) Maybe I'll have an eject button to at least transport the chosen one to the front. I should be able to pick em by Genre or by Letter...

Hepcat is right about the 1.3 Girder TCP plugin. The 2.0 one was pretty bad. I was having much trouble until he pointed that one out!

Mark Hoy: Any help would be greatly appreciated! Right now, I am just throwing things together. I have an X10 CM11A serial port interface that is on the list of things I wish to control ( really, just to dim the HT lights after the movie starts...who knows what else? )

desmo: Your MP3 page looks very nice!

·
Registered
326 Posts
Brian:

Using the CM11A to dim the lights should be super easy to add on to what you already have. Either by using HomeSeer or the HomeSeer freeware ActiveX control for the CM11A. I need to change my setup to use that, currently I've been using the command-line-based X10comm.exe from the ActiveHome software combined with Girder commands. It works, but it's not near as integrated or pretty as it could be.

-will

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Attached is an early picture of my DVD selection screen.

HepCat: I was really trying to get away from HomeSeer for the moment. I liked it, just that right now, I dont see me having enough X10 stuff to control to warrant having homeseer running. Does the homeseer activex control need Homeseer running?

Brian

·
Registered
326 Posts
Brian:

The ActiveX control is a seperate piece altogether. Here you go. Maybe tonight I'll get some time to play with it. Got about three weeks till my boy hatches so I haven't had quite as much free time lately...

-will

·
Registered
262 Posts
Brian,

If you have a DVD changer, you may want to check out this thread.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...ht=dvd+changer

It would allow your computer to have direct control of DVD and to actually read the DVD and interact with it. Expensive, but hey its just money right! :)

With this your computer could access an online Database for running time, movie type, etc for every disc without having to recreate the wheel.

Jon

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.