AVS Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When i put my ear near the front height speakers, i observed the following.

Audyssey DSX - vocal supposedly from center channel could also be heard from the height speakers.

PLIIZ - no vocal heard, only surround effects.

Question is why does Audyssey DSX place vocal there? Isn't height suppose to be for surround effects instead of vocal?

·
Registered
397 Posts

My first thought was that the AMP in the AVR were not isolated, and you are hearing 'Bleed' across the channels.

However, the answer is probably more like, that's just how it's matrixed.  One processes the Matrix in a different manner than the other, and that's just how it is.

All of this is supposition, since my AVR has neither DPLIIZ, or ADSX.

·
Registered
29,542 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by extinguisher  /t/1415201/audyssey-dsx-vs-pliiz-what-i-observed#post_22123861

Question is why does Audyssey DSX place vocal there?
To create its height and wide outputs, DSX uses only the contents of the front left and right channels, generating early reflections to give the impression of being in a larger space. If you're hearing vocals in the heights or wides, that means those vocals came from the L/R channels, not the centre channel. With discrete multi-channel soundtracks, this can happen if dialogue is steered between the front channels (insted of being restricted to the centre channel). With 2-channel content, it means you're not fully extracting the vocals to the centre speaker and some residual vocals are still in the L/R channel.
Quote:
Originally Posted by extinguisher  /t/1415201/audyssey-dsx-vs-pliiz-what-i-observed#post_22123861

Isn't height suppose to be for surround effects instead of vocal?
That's how PLIIz works. Rather than generating early reflections that weren't in the source material (like DSX does), PLIIz extracts decorrelated (out of phase) information from the surround channels to feed the height speakers. Unless you're using PLIIz with 2-channel music, there's little chance of vocals leaking into the height speakers.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts