AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 566 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The new app is now available on the Microsoft Store (Get MultEQ-X - Microsoft Store) and claims to be compatible with any device that works with the Multi-EQ Editor app. I will be testing later today and wanted to create a thread to discuss. Please chime in with observations.

My first question is whether this app overcomes the need to buy an AVR with the highest version of Audyssey (X32) in order to achieve good results.

·
Registered
3,473 Posts
Link to Manual: Audyssey MultEQ-X User Guide

Images and description:
MultEQ-X software works as an add-on to the MultEQ system already embedded in many Denon and Marantz AVRS. Users get complete control over their target sound, with the ability to customize the frequency range and tonal balance of each individual speaker in the system.

A virtual AVR is included with MultEQ-X for free in order to demonstrate the features and settings available. In order to calibrate an AVR, a license must be acquired through an in-app purchase. This license entitles the user to calibrate one AVR for the lifetime of the AVR. Licenses are per-user and per-AVR-serial-number, and are non-transferrable.

More than a sleek interface to the built-in MultEQ technology, MultEQ-X decouples the delivery of technology from the delivery of hardware. It will be the first place users can experience many improvements and advancements to the MultEQ suite of software / firmware room correction that are currently under developement.

Rectangle Font Screenshot Material property Parallel

Rectangle Font Slope Screenshot Parallel

Product Rectangle Font Line Material property

Rectangle Product Font Material property Screenshot

Rectangle Font Screenshot Software Parallel

Product Rectangle Font Screenshot Line

Attachments

·
Registered
3,473 Posts
The per AVR licensing is pretty crappy IMO. Per-user and per-AVR is just mean by Audyssey. I should at least be able to sell the license with the AVR.

·
Registered
258 Posts
What is the cost? So this is something that replaces the EQ editor app, Not works with it?

·
Registered
6,293 Posts
So Audyssey can now be set-up like Anthem's ARC...you do the measurements on a PC and download the corrections to the AVR?

Edit: And probably DIRAC, although I am not familiar with how DIRAC works.

·
Registered
538 Posts
$200 dollars and it is tied to the receiver/preamp and the user and if you sell it it is non-transferrable, so $200 down the drain? No thanks.

$200 and I can use it with any of my receivers/preamps I'd consider it.

Make it Audyssey app cheap, then I might not care.

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
$200 is a lot to not be able to use it on other AVR's. I get they don't want one person to pay and then share the use of it with others, but if you upgrade your AVR you should be able to continue to use it without paying again. There has to be a way to verify whether the AVR belongs to you or someone else via registration and serial number.

That being said, I'm definitely curious what this app brings to the table and how the results compare.

·
Registered
363 Posts

·
Premium Member
524 Posts
The value proposition with the limited license isn't very friendly, but I think that's mainly to recoup costs in enabling older units to access it. I think that's pretty cool that much older models capable of XT32/editor app can upgrade to this. If it's anything close to Dirac/Arc, that's a pretty solid $200 investment. My friend has an older Marantz unit, and probably won't upgrade for awhile. It refreshes his unit, and defers its obsolescence.

Moving forward, this will just be the standard in all future units, so the $200 will already be built in the price tag, and most likely tied to the unit, not the user.
Fingers crossed this upgrade allows for an external mic to calibrate.

Reactions: audiofan1 and pbz06

·
Registered
3,473 Posts
Moving forward, this will just be the standard in all future units, so the $200 will already be built in the price tag, and most likely tied to the unit, not the user.
Is that true? Where did you see that?

·
Registered
572 Posts
Yup... I think they need to rethink that "per user/per unit" licensing logic. 200 bucks is a lot to charge for this software while only being only able to use it on the AVR or AVP that you currently own.

In today's world of ever changing technology and HDMI "standards", what's the lifespan of an AVR or AVP that isn't hardware upgradable. 2-3 years maybe...?

Sorry, but the $20 app that is easily affordable and isn't licensed this way will have to be good enough for me... 😔

BTW.... Can you use your own calibrated USB mic with this or are you still stuck using the factory provided Audyssey mic...?

·
Premium Member
This spot for sale or rent.
6,142 Posts
At the moment, the app just looks like the $20 app with promises for unspecified future upgrades. It won't be able to use the UMIK. It will be able to use the pro mic IN THE FUTURE, but just the included mic for now.
If you can buy a calibrated pro mic, it maybe worth it.
I haven't joined the webinar, but they are going to upload it to YouTube, and I will watch it then.
I don't see myself buying this until I understand what the future upgrades are, and actually see them existing.
I'm certainly not going to spend $200 just to experiment with it.

·
Premium Member
7,375 Posts
I think that's pretty cool that much older models capable of XT32/editor app can upgrade to this.
It is, except I'm sure I'm not the only one going to replace my AVR in the not too distant future with one which is HDMI 2.1 capable. Tossing $200 on what amounts to an outdated AVR isn't really appealing.

Yup... I think they need to rethink that "per user/per unit" licensing logic. 200 bucks is a lot to charge for this software while only being only able to use it on the AVR or AVP that you currently own.

In today's world of ever changing technology and HDMI "standards", what's the lifespan of an AVR or AVP that isn't hardware upgradable. 2-3 years maybe...?

Sorry, but the $20 app that is easily affordable and isn't licensed this way will have to be good enough for me... 😔

BTW.... Can you use your own calibrated USB mic with this or are you still stuck using the factory provided Audyssey mic...?
Exactly.

·
Registered
1,701 Posts
Seems like only difference from app is ability to change curves easier ? For 10X the price of the app ?

If it's going to do more, what will be the difference from a $450 AVR with Audyessy MultiEQ and a $1500-4000 AVR with Audyssey Multi EQ XT32 ?

·
Premium Member
1,221 Posts
only available on PC?

·
Registered
3,473 Posts
At the moment, the app just looks like the $20 app with promises for unspecified future upgrades. It won't be able to use the UMIK. It will be able to use the pro mic IN THE FUTURE, but just the included mic for now.
If you can buy a calibrated pro mic, it maybe worth it.
I haven't joined the webinar, but they are going to upload it to YouTube, and I will watch it then.
I don't see myself buying this until I understand what the future upgrades are, and actually see them existing.
I'm certainly not going to spend $200 just to experiment with it.
You can download it for free and experiment with their Sample AVR. That's what I'm doing now and there is more flexibility vs that app. For one you can EQ down to 10hz which is nice.

Reactions: crutzulee

·
Registered
506 Posts
I'm guessing in the future they will probably make agreements with Denon/Marantz to subsidize some of the license cost on new AVRs.

1 - 20 of 566 Posts