• Audyssey music/flat

Votes: 40 45.5%
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
6,479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I would like to see a poll on folks using just Audyssey reference or Audyssey music/flat for movie. Please vote and comment why. Thanks for participating.

·
Banned
16,232 Posts
I usually leave it as movies for movies music for music, but once in a while after playing a music/concert disc I'll forget to change it back and even vice versa; sometimes I might think something sounds off and go check this but I couldn't give any examples. Since it's just a button on the remote to change back I haven't really thought much about it in terms of analyzing why.

You should follow your own request, though and tell us your preference and why you're so curious about what we do

·
Registered
6,479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
^^ I read somewhere that Audyssey reference roll off midrange so why would one want to do that? Thus, the reason I want to find out with the poll which so far all goes to Audyssey reference.

·
Registered
4,587 Posts
Audyssey has a little dip right around 2 KHz in the midrange, but not a midrange rolloff. For a similar concept, google "BBC dip."

Audyssey rolls off the highs right about midway between flat and the high end rolloff imposed on every movie mixing stage (AFAIK) by the "X curve" (which a person also could google).

as it happens, there seems to be some consensus developing (see the work at Harman or the results from participants in the Canadian testing like Paradigm) that what people like is a bit of high end roll off in-room, versus strictly flat response, from speakers. IOW, lots of companies are baking in a similar rolloff (it has a fair amount to do with off-axis response when you put the speaker in a home-sized room) because that's what works.

·
Registered
7,128 Posts
OP - you are aware there is a huge audyssey thread with a FAQ?
http://www.avsforum.com/t/795421/official-audyssey-thread-faq-in-post-51779/51750#user_HEADERA
Quote:
A. General Audyssey Issues

a)1. What happens when I run Audyssey?

a)2. Why is dialogue from the centre channel difficult to hear or understand?

a)3. I keep reading about Reference Level'. What is it?

a)4. Reference or Preference - which is best?

a)5. How does Audyssey handle dipole and bipole surround speakers?

a)6. Is it possible to save and recall an Audyssey MultEQ calibration?

a)7. What are the Audyssey 'Movie' ('Reference') and 'Music' ('Flat') curves?

a)8. What is THX Re-EQ? Should it be on or off when using MultEQ?

a)9. Why are my high frequencies 'bright' or 'harsh' since running Audyssey?

a)10. How can Audyssey measure anything with those silly blips? Shouldn't they use sweeps like everyone else?

a)11. Where can I find help with the Audyssey Pro Kit?

a)12. What is the relationship, if any, between the Equaliser setting in my Onkyo/Integra AVR and Audyssey?

a)13. Will Audyssey work if I am using external amplification?

a)14. Which current AVRs have which version of Audyssey room correction?
Quote:
a)7. What are the Audyssey 'Movie' ('Reference') and 'Music' ('Flat') curves?

Contrary to popular belief, a target curve that is flat from 20 Hz to 20 kHz is not always the one that will produce the correct sound. There are several reasons for this. One has to do with the translation required from a large movie theater to a smaller home listening room. The other reason has to do with the fact that loudspeakers are much more directional at high frequencies than they are at low frequencies. This means that the balance of direct and room sound is very different at the high and low ends of the frequency spectrum.

In a typical living room, the acoustical conditions require a flat curve up to a certain frequency, and then a roll-off. This roll-off allows the proper balancing of the direct and reverberant sound at high frequencies.

MultEQ creates filters that correct the frequency response of your speakers to a specific target curve. These target curves are called: Audyssey Reference and Audyssey Flat, or alternatively Audyssey Movie and Audyssey Music.

The Audyssey Reference/Movie target curve is designed to translate film mixing room conditions to the home listening room. This curve is flat to 4 kHz, has a slight roll-off from 4kHz - 10 kHz (-2dB @ 10 kHz), and another additional roll-off from 10 kHz - 20 kHz (-6dB @ 20 kHz). This curve should be used for listening to movies in most cases.

The Audyssey Flat/Music target curve has no roll-off. This curve should be used for movies if you are seated in the near field, if your room has a lot of high frequency absorption due to acoustic treatments, if your room is very small or highly treated or if you are using THX Re-EQ (which introduces its own roll-off).

Audyssey research has found that listeners in most home environments are seated in the reverberant field. The mixing of most films (in post-production studios) is completed with the recording engineer seated in the near field. As a result, it is usually beneficial to use a high frequency roll-off (Audyssey Reference/Movie curve) to tame brightness. However, if you have an acoustically treated room and/or are seated relatively close to the front speakers, you may be located in the near field. Therefore, it may prove beneficial to try listening without a roll-off (Audyssey Flat/Music curve) to see if there is an improvement in sound quality.

If this answer helped you, please click here to take you to the bottom of the post where you can leave a 'thumbs up'. It's the only way we can evaluate how useful the FAQ is, so a few seconds of your time would be greatly appreciated - thanks!

See Also:

What is THX Re-EQ? Should it be on or off when using MultEQ?

Further Reading:

See this thread on the Ask Audyssey website for more information

Go back to top.

Go directly to the FAQ Questions & Answers.

Go back to 'General Audyssey Issues' Section Header.

·
Registered
231 Posts
In my living room, I use the FLAT simply because it sounds better to my ears. I seem to think it improves the sound of dialogue and reduces unwanted boom. But I have no measurements.

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
Audyssey Flat. My hearing is already rolled off in the high end, so I don't want Audyssey attenuating it further.

My post-Audyssey tweaks include:

- Set the speaker sizes to Small and crossovers to 80 Hz.

- Disable Dynamic Volume. I prefer uncompressed audio.

- Disable Dynamic EQ. While I like the boost it gives the low end as the volume is lowered, I dislike that it also shifts the soundstage from the fronts to the surrounds at lower volume.

- Increase the center channel gain 3 dB for improved dialog intelligibility.

- Increase the sub channel gains 8 dB. A flat low end sounds anemic.

For those who like charts...

·
Registered
6,479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
^^ Thanks. I also use Audyssey flat but DynEQ is always on as I love how it sounds especially with bass. Never use DV in my theater room but occasionally use it when viewing in my main living room system. Have you tried to lower the surround levels and enable DynEQ?

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
Since DEQ dynamically shifts the soundstage as the volume changes, lowering the surround gains to compensate would only get it right at one volume. At volumes lower than where you corrected the levels, the surrounds would still be too loud. At higher volumes the surrounds would be too soft. Disabling DEQ keeps the speaker levels properly balanced. It's unfortunate that Audyssey bundled a bad feature with a good one. I prefer just running my subs hot & leaving DEQ disabled.

·
Registered
4,785 Posts
But then your bass is never right either, or only at one volume level. ;-)
Quote:
Originally Posted by henrich3  /t/1518290/audyssey-or-audyssey-music-flat-for-movie/0_20#post_24392227

Since DEQ dynamically shifts the soundstage as the volume changes, lowering the surround gains to compensate would only get it right at one volume. At volumes lower than where you corrected the levels, the surrounds would still be too loud. At higher volumes the surrounds would be too soft. Disabling DEQ keeps the speaker levels properly balanced. It's unfortunate that Audyssey bundled a bad feature with a good one. I prefer just running my subs hot & leaving DEQ disabled.

·
Registered
4,785 Posts
Keep in mind the midrange compensation only exists in the reference curve and not flat, at least in receivers from the last few years.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHAz  /t/1518290/audyssey-or-audyssey-music-flat-for-movie/0_20#post_24370057

Audyssey has a little dip right around 2 KHz in the midrange, but not a midrange rolloff. For a similar concept, google "BBC dip."

Audyssey rolls off the highs right about midway between flat and the high end rolloff imposed on every movie mixing stage (AFAIK) by the "X curve" (which a person also could google).

as it happens, there seems to be some consensus developing (see the work at Harman or the results from participants in the Canadian testing like Paradigm) that what people like is a bit of high end roll off in-room, versus strictly flat response, from speakers. IOW, lots of companies are baking in a similar rolloff (it has a fair amount to do with off-axis response when you put the speaker in a home-sized room) because that's what works.

·
Registered
1,537 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by primetimeguy  /t/1518290/audyssey-or-audyssey-music-flat-for-movie/0_50#post_24392289

But then your bass is never right either, or only at one volume level. ;-)

Given my sub's 8 dB hot setting, I'd say the bass in my system sounds "more than adequate" at typical listening levels...

·
Registered
4,785 Posts

I use Reference curve and based my decision on how things sound in a live venue.  I never hear harshness or exaggerated highs when at a live music venue.  At louder levels using the Flat curve that is what I get.  So at first it may sound more "open" and "airy" but at loud levels it is too much energy in the highs.

And as usual, some movies or recordings may sound better with one than the other.  If I feel dialog is a bit difficult to hear I may switch to Flat (no midrange comp) and see how that sounds.  

·
Registered
65 Posts
Audyssey Issue with Dennon 910W

Hi all,
I thought i report what i experienced with my New Denon 910W and Audyssey setup, to see if anyone else has same issue.
Backdrop:
Audyssey is fully configured and working

While listening to music last night i know Audessey was working and functional, i was listening to Pandora, then switched to Netflix Video via my Samsung Blueray 6500, during the playback i notice that no Audessey settings were possible, it was grayed out, without me making or going back into setup and restarting any calibration, Audessey settings were gone.
I recall a week ago a similar experience and i thought i had made a mistake so i just rerun the setup,twice in one week i lost Audessey calibrations.
I was able to go back somehow in the setup and restore it but then i have to make my adjustment again, i did not try to restart the AVR, when this happens, i am thinking of returning the AVR to get a different one as i dont want to keep rerunning the Audessey setting, also i wish Audessey let you check your setting after 1st mike position mainly to speed up Subwoofer corrections and display its results immediately.
Any way this is a serious issue and i should also post of link it to Denon thread, any one have seen this ?

·
Banned
16,232 Posts
Hi all,
I thought i report what i experienced with my New Denon 910W and Audyssey setup, to see if anyone else has same issue.
Backdrop:
Audyssey is fully configured and working

While listening to music last night i know Audessey was working and functional, i was listening to Pandora, then switched to Netflix Video via my Samsung Blueray 6500, during the playback i notice that no Audessey settings were possible, it was grayed out, without me making or going back into setup and restarting any calibration, Audessey settings were gone.
I recall a week ago a similar experience and i thought i had made a mistake so i just rerun the setup,twice in one week i lost Audessey calibrations.
I was able to go back somehow in the setup and restore it but then i have to make my adjustment again, i did not try to restart the AVR, when this happens, i am thinking of returning the AVR to get a different one as i dont want to keep rerunning the Audessey setting, also i wish Audessey let you check your setting after 1st mike position mainly to speed up Subwoofer corrections and display its results immediately.
Any way this is a serious issue and i should also post of link it to Denon thread, any one have seen this ?
Pandora was the Denon app? The audio settings in the Sony are? While older Denons like mine allow the one position thing, I saw JDSmoothie mention the newer ones require at least 3 before the quit option comes up. I'd put this in the Denon thread for the avr http://www.avsforum.com/forum/90-re...series-avr-owner-s-thread-faq-hdcp-2-2-a.html

·
Registered
65 Posts
Pandora was the Denon app? The audio settings in the Sony are? While older Denons like mine allow the one position thing, I saw JDSmoothie mention the newer ones require at least 3 before the quit option comes up. I'd put this in the Denon thread for the avr http://www.avsforum.com/forum/90-re...series-avr-owner-s-thread-faq-hdcp-2-2-a.html
I have played Pandora from Denon and\or Samsung Blueray time to time, the problem occurred when viewing or switching from Music to Video on Sumsung Blueray 6500 ( at least this last time, do not recall how it happed first time).
Defiantly lost the ability to use Audessey ( Grayed out & Said i need to run Audessey setup if i want to use it), if it happens again, i will take a note and post it back, at this point ( during the failure) AVR reverted back to base equalizer from Denon.
Audessey setup was fully functional with all six position and all options correctly recognized & working for few days, prior to this mishap, the samsung blueray is setup with options to pass bitstream to the AVR and is working fine, its a new Blue ray player.

·
Banned
16,232 Posts
I have played Pandora from Denon and\or Samsung Blueray time to time, the problem occurred when viewing or switching from Music to Video on Sumsung Blueray 6500 ( at least this last time, do not recall how it happed first time).
Defiantly lost the ability to use Audessey ( Grayed out & Said i need to run Audessey setup if i want to use it), if it happens again, i will take a note and post it back, at this point ( during the failure) AVR reverted back to base equalizer from Denon.
Audessey setup was fully functional with all six position and all options correctly recognized & working for few days, prior to this mishap, the samsung blueray is setup with options to pass bitstream to the AVR and is working fine, its a new Blue ray player.
I've never seen a warning to run Audyssey setup myself nor seen it grayed out, that does sound funked up. Did you try a microprocessor reset on the Denon or even a soft reset yet?

·
Registered
65 Posts
Just to clarify, there are no warnings on Denon or from Audyssey, just that Audyssey adjustment at this state are not possible, you have to rerun the setup to get back to running and configured Audyssey again.
I have not tried processor reset or soft reset or power off , except i went back into Setup and choose to restore the Audessey, if it happens again i will look into soft reset or Microprocessor reset, i do not know how to do that but i can check the manuals, either way it seems quite strange to loose Audessey twice and i could understand if i tried to rerun the setup and did not complete it fully that it could be hung or in weird state but this happed in the middle of listening\viewing.
All i remember pressing was Speaker App reassign and few minor twicks in Audessey like Dynamic EQ setting or changing from Reference to Flat.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts