AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I hope this is my last thread on this issue haha....thanks for helping me through this. This testing is all in reference to these Andrew Jones Pioneer speakers I ran the Audyssey 10 times tonight, and each time the results came back as 200hz for the L&R, 60hz for the center, and 110-120hz for the rears. I have read up on this and apparently the location of my fronts can cause this number to be off. I gather that Audyssey thinks this is best setting for my speakers to crossover at.

What do you all think? I hear to not go lower than what they suggest; to either stay at what they suggest or go higher. As in, I could make the center 80hz but the others would stay the same. I hear that if I go lower I risk the speakers not playing optimal. Granted, my sub and my L (or is it R? backwards?) are crammed in the only available corner I have. It is not optimal, I get it....but I have to work with it. So, what should I do? Accept the given feedback from Audyssey or change it to where the speakers are all 80 or 120 hz? I suppose I just thought that 200hz was insane and should never happen. Any feedback is welcomed.....trust me.

·
Registered
15,085 Posts
You should consider putting a large throw-rug on your floor in front of the speakers to absorb some of the undesirable audio reflections.

Audyssey measures the frequency at which it hears the output of your speakers fall off by 3dB. A high crossover setting suggests that it's hearing a lot of high frequency sound. This often is caused by reflections.

Getting rid of other movable reflective objects during the calibration and while you're trying to listen also is a good idea. Like that sack of stuff. They'll mess up the audio during the calibration, so it'll try to compensate for them. Then when they're gone, the audio won't be optimal.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Interesting. The sack(s) are bird seed, and is really the only thing that can be moved. In the foreground of that pic is your traditional set up, 2 couches with pillows, large area rug, table, etc.

I have no idea what I can do from this point. I used to have bookshelf speakers on those shelves and they always dialed in at 80hz or so.

So back to my original question I suppose...do I just accept the 200hz or set my own and go with that?

·
Registered
433 Posts
Run Audyssey and then after I would set all speakers to 80hz and sub to 120hz. Also make sure your speakers to "small" amd not "large". When I run Audyssey it always sets my speakers to 60hz. I also agree with the previouse reply about putting down a rug to help with bright reflections.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You may not have seen the response above, I do have a rug...and tons of things in the room that are sound dampening such as art on the walls, couches etc. However, the sides of couches, coffee table could cause some of this maybe? Whatever I do have, can't be moved. With that in mind, even though Audyssey says I should do 200hz, will I be at a disadavantage by straight up setting them to 80hz (they are set to small now)? I don't have an audiophile ear, so keep that in mind

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
No, the rug is not in view of the camera. I have a rug that 6 X 8 feet. It pretty much starts in the bottom right corner of the photo. So I have a rug haha....my question was what to do from this point regarding the Hz that were projected by Audyssey vs doing it myself, as mentioned in the thread above.

·
Registered
15,085 Posts
That hard-surfaced coffee table is going to cause reflection problems for the measurement, too. You might consider a think, soft covering for it, if only for while you're measuring and listening.

·
Registered
2,495 Posts
First I know you have a rug and you show it in your picture, but for audio purposes the area up front near the speakers is the most important place to have a rug.

So now after you have all this new furniture in place you definitely need to run Audyssey. I always rerun Audyssey after any furniture upgrades, adds, or moves. So after you rerun Audyssey if it sets your crossover higher than 80hz, I do agree change the crossovers to 80hz. The only problem with that is Audyssey doesn't do any corrections blow the point it chose for the crossover.

BTW that table is friggin sweet.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks! It is made in Brazil, by Percival Lafer, from the 70's.

I only showed the first picture to illustrate where the rug is located. There is no way to have a rug there. It is part of the walkway and would look like crap. I have had the new living room set-up for a year easy, and have run audyseyy since that time with my old bookshelf speakers. So with that being said, the only that has changed is the 5.1 speakers. I ran the audyseyy last night about 10 times and came up with the same results each time, which takes us back to the original question posed. Stay with what Audyseyy recs or make them down to 80hz anyway and be done with it?

·
Registered
109 Posts
if audyssey keeps getting the same results it is likely an issue with speaker placement. those towers are rear ported and you have them backed up against a book case and pushed into a corner. they need some space around them.

or maybe you just got a defective set of towers

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Yes, I agree totally, but I can not move them. That is the only place they can be. The left speaker in the photo way above is moved out 6 inches with nothing around it. The one on the right is moved out 6 inches also, but with the sub and the wall next to it (6 inches free behind port). I know it is hard to tell because the photo is dark and creates shadows. So, speakers are set in place. Furniture is set in place. Now, what to do? Accept the 200hz or just move it to 80hz and be done?

·
Registered
7,003 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaredSD  /t/1519906/audyssey-settings-with-speakers#post_24413242

Yes, I agree totally, but I can not move them. That is the only place they can be. The left speaker in the photo way above is moved out 6 inches with nothing around it. The one on the right is moved out 6 inches also, but with the sub and the wall next to it (6 inches free behind port). I know it is hard to tell because the photo is dark and creates shadows. So, speakers are set in place. Furniture is set in place. Now, what to do? Accept the 200hz or just move it to 80hz and be done?
Just move it to 80hz and be done, IMHO

·
Premium Member
14,073 Posts
When Audyssey finds the -3 dB point, it sets the crossovers to the next highest crossover point. For the L/R's it does this as a "set." IOW, only one of the speakers needs to have a high -3 dB point for both speakers to be set to a high crossover. I can't tell which of your speakers is the culprit, but either one or both are placed in a spot that results in a null at the LP. Therefore, I have a few placement suggestions for you:

1. Try moving the subwoofer outside the R speaker and move the R speaker inwards, out of the corner and towards the TV.

2. Try moving the subwoofer to the other side, between the TV and the L speaker, and move the R speaker inwards, away from the door.

3. Try placing the subwoofer outside the L speaker and move BOTH speakers closer together.

4. Try moving your seating forward and away from the window and back wall. (If you can't do that, move the measurement mic forward to the front of the seats to lessen the impact of the rear window/wall.)

5. Try re-orienting the system and the seating placing the system on the wall currently occupied by the loveseat.

If none of these suggestions are possible, or if they don't solve the problem, make sure the woofers are working properly in both speakers. If no placement options get you proper crossover frequencies for your speakers, I suggest you KEEP the crossovers set by Audyssey. If you lower them, you'll end up with a "hole" in your response where Audyssey wont be providing any room correction in the range from the -3 dB point to wherever you set your crossovers. The only downside to these higher crossovers is the possibility of localization of the subwoofer, (you could hear sounds that should appear to be coming from the speakers coming instead from the sub, (deep male voices, the fundamentals of gunshots and explosions, etc.) As long as the sub is kept close to the front speakers, this problem is minimized.

Good luck.

Craig

Reactions: JaredSD
1 - 20 of 49 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.