AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi all, I have my front left and right speakers perfectly placed and I sit perfectly in the middle of them. I ran audyssey and it put the volume level of my left speaker at -5 and the volume of my right speaker at -8. Even if I put the mic an inch closer the left: 1) why is the volume level such a big difference? 2) when people run audyssey, why do they go back and adjust the speaker levels with a SPL meter and make sure all the speakers are at the same db? isn't this one of the jobs of audyssey?

Reactions: asabrag

·
Registered
12,277 Posts
The SPL is measured @ the listening position, the indicated level on the front panel notes the actual level setting required within the receiver to deliver equal volume levels. Maybe the listen's position is closer to the left loudspeaker.. Also sometimes a room reflection may be happening as well....

Just my $0.02... ;)

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
so if I were to get an SPL meter and adjust the volumes for both those speakers and the SPL meter shows that I should have those two speakers at roughly the same volume level, should I keep it at the volume level the SPL meter tells me or what audyssey tells me?

·
Registered
638 Posts
so if I were to get an SPL meter and adjust the volumes for both those speakers and the SPL meter shows that I should have those two speakers at roughly the same volume level, should I keep it at the volume level the SPL meter tells me or what audyssey tells me?
If one speaker is in a corner and the other one isn't then that could make the difference.

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

·
Registered
143 Posts
Interesting! I would have immediately thought a side wall reflection was causing this.

One similar thought would be that your room setup might be skewing the scale a bit somehow. eg If you have an L shaped sectional with one side absorbing more sound (in a specific FR) than the side parallel to the soundstage, something like that... It could also be that audyssey favors certain frequencies over others when it comes to assessing relative balance. For example, it would make no sense for audyssey to boost one side universally if that side was minus 10db @ 40hz but otherwise comparable. Similarly, a minus 5db @ 1.5kz might be grounds for a balance adjustment. The tricky thing is, there's no guarantee that balance is affected in a proportional way throughout the FR. In fact it's pretty much guaranteed not to be proportional... perfection is never possible. You might tell us more about your room setup.

Tangentially -- this probably doesn't affect balance adjustments -- I think it's a good idea for anyone with a receiver that qualifies to spend $20 on the audyssey app, approximate their schroder frequency and turn off all EQ above that frequency and take a listen. The results may surprise you. This would be in addition to using a calibration mic or SPL meter to check levels..

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
My room is T shaped, believe it or not. As to where my front wall is, how do I describe that? Let me try. My front wall is along the bottom of the T. But the vertical part of the T is not in the middle of the horizontal part. And my speakers are toed inward. More importantly though, should I keep that difference in the L and R trims or use an SPL meter and even them out?

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Sorry guys, I made a mistake. The fronts are -5 and -6. The center speaker is -8. Never mind, you can consider this thread adjourned.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts