AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Welp, my Aura bass shaker pros come tomorrow! I managed to get a good deal on the Plus package (2 Pros w/ amplifier) from a car audio dealer locally...

Anyway, was wondering the best place to mount these guys on my couch.

I flipped my couch over and it looks like there is a wood frame on the bottom. Should I mount them at the 1/3 and 2/3 position on this bottom frame or should I cut a hole in the fabric and try to mount them so they are more-or-less flush with the bottom of the seat cushions?

What mounts have worked for your couches?

Any advice is appreciated!

RR

·
Registered
475 Posts
I picked up a set a couple weeks ago from the bargain table at a local electronics warehouse store that included two shakers, the amps, the power supplies and all the cabing that they Aura calls the "home theater" setup. My wife refused to let me remove the dust covers from under the couch and really didn't want them at all. What I did was put them under the central wooden braces on tiles to raise them up so that they firmly contact the wood (through the dust cover). Then when you sit down, you put your weight right over the shaker. Plus, no damage to the couch. Now they're one of my wife's favorite parts of the HT! (She always asks that I turn 'em up.)

Oh, I hooked them up to the subwoofer output and set their internal filters to maximum. I turn their volumes up about 1/3-1/2 and that's plenty with our couch.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the input toddalin.

So as I understand it, you have them on the floor below the couch, but raised up on tiles to make contact with the bottom of the couch, yes?

If so, then I guess I will try mounting to the bottom frame first. The other option is cutting through the bottom dust cover and rigging together some wooden supports to mount them right beneath the cushions. Has anyone tried this method with their couch?

RR

·
Registered
639 Posts
When I mounted mine (2 each on a couch and love seat), I pulled back the dust cover and mounted a 1x6 across the bottom with wood screws. Then I mounted the Auras on this 1x6. These are wired in series. I then come out of the wall for my feed into a 'Y' connector. The Auras on both the love seat and the couch are plugged into the 'Y' making for a parallel connection. I used a plug so that I could disconnect the wires if I need to move the furniture for cleaning.

I was planning on reattaching the dust cover with velcro, but since this is a dedicated room and my wife didn't want the furniture anymore I didn't bother.

Don't forget to leave some space (1/2" or more) between the floor and the Auras.

·
Registered
475 Posts
Yes, the tiles are on the carpet. A piece of foam is on the tiles and the shakers are on the foam. There is a brace under each side of the couch running front to back centered under each of the two cushions. The cork of the shakers is centered on the braces. This may actually work better than attaching them to the wood (and is easy to try), because when you sit, you compress the shakers between the couch and floor aiding in vibration distribution to your bottom end.

·
Registered
637 Posts
I put two Pro's in my couch chair. I pulled off the dust cover and screwed them to the frame then I re-stapled the dust cover and lit it up... Boy I like them more than I could have imagined. There are things in movies that are not fully appreciated without. I think it is best to isolate the object from the concrete as best as possible so as to not waste the precious vibration.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for all the great ideas and input everyone.

I mounted my Aura Pros today as jkv suggested. After careful inspection of my couch, it was the best route to go. I pulled back the dust cover, bought a piece of 1"x6"x4' and attached them to the two cross braces under my couch using some "L" braces and wood scews. I mounted the Pros to the 1x6 and wired them up in serial. Then I pulled the wire through and stapled the dust cover back up. Can't even tell except for the wires sticking out from under the couch!

Now I'm just waiting for my 120W (into 8ohm) subwoofer plate amp from Parts Express (should be here Tues) and I'm ready to rock, literally!

I'll let y'all know how I fare. Thanks again all!! :D

RR

·
Registered
475 Posts
Be careful with that much power. Unlike speakers, you won't hear these distort before they fail. I know that the amps that came with mine from Aura can't be more than 25 watts each based on their size and construction.

·
Registered
639 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by toddalin
Be careful with that much power. Unlike speakers, you won't hear these distort before they fail. I know that the amps that came with mine from Aura can't be more than 25 watts each based on their size and construction.
I'm not sure if I adjusted mine 'correctly', but I am happy with how they came out. I have a SPL meter and I adjusted all of my speakers, including the sub, at 75db with the shakers off. Leaving the SPL meter in the same spot, I then turned off my sub and turned on the shakers. I adjusted the level of the shakers 10db less than the sub, ie at 65db (yup, they will be picked up with the SPL meter). I read (somewhere) that this is how they should be adjusted and I find that it works quite well.

I would be interested in knowing how others adjust the level on their shakers.

thanks

·
Registered
475 Posts
I adjust our quite literally, "by the seat of my pants." The purpose of the shakers is to induce a vibration of fairly low frequency. Unless your meter is certified and reads dBL (i.e., decibles linear-weighted) there is more vibration occuring than you are reading with your equipment. But then, I'm unclear as to how you place you microphone to read a vibration. If you are only reading the sound output, the value will be somewhat dependant on the filter setting and such things as the amount of stuffing in your couch, etc., and may have little to do with what actually gets to your butt. However, if the effect is enjoyable and you have not burned out the coils, obviously this is working for you and bravo, enjoy em.

I connected ours in parallel with the subwoofer input and just set the controls at about 4 (on a scale of 10) and this is plenty of shake (sometimes a little too much). Ours included the amps, power supplies and wiring.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the heads up toddalin. If I hook the 50W shakers in series, I guess the amp will see one "speaker" rated at 8ohms. I'll be sure to start off really low and increase slowly until I reach the desired effect. My gut reaction is that on a 120W amp powering 50W "speakers", I won't have to go too far. Thanks again.

RR

Edit: For grammar and spelling

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
UPDATE:

Alright! I got my 120W (into 8) subwoofer plate amp from Parts Express today and just got it all set up. Put in TS2 and then SW:TPM to test them out and to adjust levels. Everything is great thus far. I can already start to see (feel) why some say they can't live without these things!

Question (and please forgive my ignorance :) ): For all intents and purposes and given that the two 50W shakers are wired in series, the subwoofer amplifier does see a 100W speaker rated at 8ohms, yes?

·
Registered
637 Posts
They don't call'em tactile for nothing. I think I appreciate them the most in scary movies...

yes, 100w. You make twice the heat you have twice the power...

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks brothermaynard. I hear you about scary movies and can see how these things can multiply the intensity! I'm gonna pick up The Haunting DTS just for the experience.

I continue to be impressed with these things! I just finished watching Chapter 16 on Titan AE (The Ice Field scene). Holy s*it!!! That is definitely going in my pantheon of HT Demo Scenes! :D :D

Curious to know: What other movies do you guys recommend that have good bass shakin' scenes (aside from the ones on the SVS FAQ page, that is)? What are your favorites and what have garnered the best reactions from guests?

Thanks to all for educating a TT newbie! :)

·
Registered
637 Posts
I watched Sixth Sense alone one night, and, well, need I say more... they definitely magnify the intensity. The main caveat would be adjustment. If they are too loud you become aware of them, where as the goal is to be immersed in the scene...Now if I could sense smell from a movie I would feel like I was there. That however might not be a good thing for some movies.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
LOL...smell-o-vision in the 60's, Dolby Digital 5.1 Smellaround in 2002, and I hear Lexicon is coming out with L'Aroma 7 in 2004.

Can you imagine the scene in Dogma with the Golgathan Demon?

·
Registered
639 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by RuffRyder
Thanks brothermaynard. I hear you about scary movies and can see how these things can multiply the intensity! I'm gonna pick up The Haunting DTS just for the experience.

I continue to be impressed with these things! I just finished watching Chapter 16 on Titan AE (The Ice Field scene). Holy s*it!!! That is definitely going in my pantheon of HT Demo Scenes! :D :D

Curious to know: What other movies do you guys recommend that have good bass shakin' scenes (aside from the ones on the SVS FAQ page, that is)? What are your favorites and what have garnered the best reactions from guests?

movies to watch: U571 (depth charges), Apollo 13 (launch/docking), Jurassic Park (any dino walking around!), True Lies (opening scenes & Harrier Jets), Gladiator (the opening battle), Swordfish (esp the first 15 mins)...that is all I can remember off the top of my head :)

·
Registered
639 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by RuffRyder

·
Registered
475 Posts
Both lobby and helicopter scenes in Matrix, nuclear explosion (and other scenes) in 5th Element. Any dinosaur of moderate size.

·
Registered
8 Posts
What Lies Beneath - some good surprises around corners in that one.

And I'd think Band of Brothers on HBO would be great.

I need to find some of these for a low price (with a cheap amp also) so I can buy this toy without bothering my wife with how much I spend. I'll keep searching here to see if anyone has recommended a place to buy them or the associated amp. Any suggestions?

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.