AVS Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have experience with Auralex Sub Dude platforms?

I have two B&W subs in my theatre sequestered in a cabinet, which is where they will be staying. They actually don't rattle things very often, a testament to the cabinet builder I believe, but I still think the room might benefit from additional isolation. The subs are on the included B&W rubber feet.

I am looking at the Auralex Sub Dude to provide that extra isolation but would appreciate hearing from anyone with experience.

·
Banned
15,491 Posts
Vibrations are caused by low frequency sound waves, which are sourced by the movement of the driver cone. So-called isolation devices do not affect production of low frequency sound waves, nor do they affect the vibration of objects that are caused by those low frequency sound waves.

·
Premium Member
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for pointing out the owners thread. In my defence, I searched for Auralex and turned up nothing. Must have fat fingered the search or something

That said after reviewing the flame fest over there I might just stick to my own little thread and hope it doesn't attract too much attention.

Bill, it seems like you are the well respected expert on this, and many other, topic so thank you for replying. I hope you don't mind a follow up question.

These subs are front firing. The driver is probably an inch back from the very front of the cabinet. The doors to the cabinet are open when we watch.

I am imaging the sound wave from the sub. Starts at the driver, fires forward and makes vibrations of things IN FRONT of the sub. Given there is little cabinet in front of the sub why does it occasionally rattle?

Either it is reflections or my working theory that all the wave energy goes only forward is wrong?

·
Registered
13,584 Posts
Either it is reflections or my working theory that all the wave energy goes only forward is wrong?
Not Bill, but the short answer is yes, you are wrong. ;)

Sound waves travel in all directions equally from the driver of the sub....think of it like throwing a rock in a pond.

·
Banned
15,491 Posts
Sound waves travel in all directions equally from the driver of the sub....think of it like throwing a rock in a pond.
A better analogy is that a low frequency source acts like a pump inflating a balloon, with the balloon expanding in all directions. The rock in the pond analogy only examines two dimensions, whereas sound waves operate in three dimensions.

·
Registered
13,584 Posts
^^^

Better analogy Bill...I knew you would be along shortly to do that. ;)

·
Premium Member
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Great analogies. Makes it easier to visuals. So what is the "epicentre" where this wave starts? Is it the middle of the face of the driver that I can see? Or is is somewhere "deeper" into the sub?

My thinking is if I can get that "epicentre" clear of the cabinets that should help?

·
Registered
582 Posts
Tighten all bolts and screws. Get little foam pieces to put between things(cabinet door and frame).

My sub rattles the kitchen cabinets that are about 30 ft away from it.

I don't think a foam riser is going to stop that. ;)

Reactions: eljaycanuck

·
Registered
582 Posts

·
Registered
2,947 Posts
Ive read several comments from people who say the SubDude doesn't work, but I rspectfully disasgree. I moved into an apartment in 2010, and that was a huge concern...my sub. So I picked up a subdude and involved the neighbors to see if it made any difference. I played a five minute section of The Last Airbender, which had some very impressive low end scenes (there's a scene where ice on a lake breaks that will blow your mind), and I had them text me whenever they heard the sub. I did it once with the sub on the floor and once with the sub on the riser. They sent me three texts during the "on the carpet" session, and only once when it was on the riser...and the one time on the riser was afterward, they just said they THOUGHT they heard it once.

I also did the same unscientific test by having my lady friend handle sub duties while I stood outside my front door in the breezeway. There was no doubt to my ears it made a difference.

This was with a little Outlaw Audio M8, which is a very potent little sub. I plan to do the same thing when my PSA S1500 arrives.

·
Banned
15,491 Posts
I also did the same unscientific test
The only scientific test I know of is my own, which showed no difference in the pass through of low frequencies with and without isolation. That includes Auralex. One would think that if they really worked as advertised that they'd have scientific data to back up their claims. :rolleyes:
I plan to do the same thing when my PSA S1500 arrives.
Do so using REW or the like and you'll have something worthwhile to report.

·
Registered
4,889 Posts
I have a subdude in my HT room and it works beautifully. Wouldn't be without it at this point.

·
Registered
2,947 Posts
The only scientific test I know of is my own, which showed no difference in the pass through of low frequencies with and without isolation. That includes Auralex. One would think that if they really worked as advertised that they'd have scientific data to back up their claims. :rolleyes:
Do so using REW or the like and you'll have something worthwhile to report.
I'm not really interested in a science project...it's pretty obious the results it made, especially considering the people downstairs had no idea what I was even doing.

Also not really sure why you feel the need to discredit the experiences of others. I'm pretty sure you can make your own points without the need to proclaim what is "worthwhile" or not.

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
I have a Great Gramma under my sub. Honestly when I got it I heard no difference at all, not even a placebo effect. I have since tried taking measurements with REW both with and without the Gramma. The charts were basically identical both ways, and I did not see any actual improvement. Now the good news is that it also doesn't seem to be hurting my sound, it just does nothing at all. This is good because I can save face in front of the wife and leave it in there with no repercussions. :) That being said, I just can't recommend something when I am of the impression that it isn't actually doing anything.

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
I'll side with Bill on this one. My system is in my basement, down firing Polk DSW pro subs (2) sitting on a same sized piece of carpet. Floor is laminate over concrete. Removed the carpet pieces and used a Sub Dude II under each sub. I found no sound improvement and absolutely no difference in low freq. vibrations (much to my chagrin). Any in and on wall vibrations were still present. The only advantage I saw was no more sub "dancing", part of which the carpet pieces were not helping anyway. I know there are opinions both ways on this, but I'd say save your money. Just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
2,947 Posts
I have a Great Gramma under my sub. Honestly when I got it I heard no difference at all, not even a placebo effect. I have since tried taking measurements with REW both with and without the Gramma. The charts were basically identical both ways, and I did not see any actual improvement. Now the good news is that it also doesn't seem to be hurting my sound, it just does nothing at all. This is good because I can save face in front of the wife and leave it in there with no repercussions. :) That being said, I just can't recommend something when I am of the impression that it isn't actually doing anything.
I would have to say this was my experience, as well. After spending time with mine, I didn't necessarily notice any improvement in the quality of the sound (nor did I experience anything in the negative), just in the degree to which the noise seemed to be noticed by the neighbors. Prior to the amp in my little Outlaw going to amp heaven, I've run my rig at a decent volume and never had a single complaint from anyone regarding the bass (and people in this complex will complain about anything lol). I think that's what gave me the confidence to go ahead and step up into a larger subwoofer. I'd say the majority of posts I've read from those stating they liked the SubDude had more to do with the isolation of bothersome noise than they did the improvement in sound.

·
Registered
5,089 Posts
I have my PB12-NSD on a homemade wooden riser. Prior to that I had it sitting directly on the carpeted floor. On the floor there were some annoying wall rattles/vibrations close to the sub. Placing the sub on the riser eliminated these. Decoupling the sub from the floor helped my situation.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts