AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6,226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
just wondering if this sound card is a good choice...i did searches and saw it seemed a few people used it, but never mentioned how they like it?is it in class of SB live w/hoontech?just want basic spidf out in windows 98se.i know it won't work in hogher windows, so that's a non-issue.this is system i decided to build, any opinions?ONLY for dvd playback!!!!

all black case w/400 watt ps.side cooling fan,w/room for 4 more in front.

cusl2 motherboard w/256 mb memory

black 3.5 drve

black gd-7000 dvd drive(region free)

ORIGINAL ati 7000 32mb ddr

us robotics 56k modem(for internet)

aureal 1500 w/spidf

blk lite on wireless keyboard w/mouse built in

scsi 2940 w/scsi 10 gb hardrive

thanks bricke

·
Registered
4,378 Posts
The Aureal sq1500 is, of course, no longer supported, but it is IMHO the best of the lowest price soundcards for HT use.

I used one for 2 years in my HT and just replaced it because the input connector never worked and I wanted to do some recordings.

Driver updates can be found on the web if you search enough...

·
Registered
138 Posts
I used to love Aureal, but today I'd just feel safer spending the approx. $35 + S&H to get a cheap SoundBlaster Live! 5.1 card. Win98 drivers ought to be ok for it the Aureal card, but it is no longer supported. I'm hesitant to just expect the latest versions of DVD software players to keep supporting it flawlessly. (Fingers crossed for you.)

I thought the SQ1500 was the Vortex1 card and SQ2500 was the Vortex2 based card, so I'd expect the SPDIF to be on the higher end card. Not all Aureal's come with the SPDIF out, and I'd think you would need some converter to convert to an RCA SPDIF, as with the SB Lives.

www.vortexofsound.com is the last bastion of Aureal fans. Also 3D SoundSurge may be of help.

·
Registered
3,799 Posts
I had problems with my s/pdif out on my aureal vortex when running win xp, but for win 98 i doubt will encounter to many troubles.

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
Some of the newer players may not support DD/DTS passthru on it. I couldn't get Cineplayer v4/ATI 7.5/7.6 to work correctly with the card. I think WinDVD and PowerDVD still support it. However, I couldnt get stable operation using ZP with Cineplayer v4 for video and WinDVD for audio. I think others may have though. If your trying to get SPDIF on the cheap, find a CMedia 8738 card.

·
Registered
9,679 Posts
Hey,

I have the sq1500 but I wouldn't buy it again because I can't use the cinemaster filters for it. If you buy a M-audio or a Live all the new players and OS's would probably support it.

-Brian

·
Registered
4,310 Posts
Hi All:

___Unfortunately, it’s the OS’s that do not support this card. MS themselves spent some time with the card to create an S/PDIF – AC-3 capable driver under XP but from the many that have tried it, it is still a bust. 2000 users can forget about it as well. There was some discussion of a former Aureal driver coder placing some work into creating an S/PDIF capable driver also but nothing has come of it in the 9 months since Windows XP was released. If you are using Win98 SE/Millennium, the card works as expected with the available drivers form the various Aureal websites still running. Vortex of Sound will probably be your best resource as it has been since the Aureal bankruptcy.

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes

___Hunt Club Farms Landscaping Ltd.

___ [email protected]

·
Registered
6,226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thanks for replie guys...i will probably go ahead and give this card a try.i plan on running only 98se, w/power dvd so from what i gather i should be good to go as far as that is concerned.if i decide to upgrade later then at least i'll have a reason to look at one of the higher end cards..

thanks brickie

i'll let you know how it goes..

·
Registered
88 Posts
I just started using this card a week ago and it works fine for me in Win98SE.

I wanted something cheap that had a coax digital output and at less than $10 shipped this card was the cheapest I found.

Good deal IMHO:)

·
Registered
64 Posts
It worked great under Win98SE. But I just upgraded to XP and it wouldn't work. I had to revert to the onboard sound on the MB. I don't understand why the XP drivers don't work with it. I have a sq2500 on my other machine and the XP drivers work fine.

David

·
Registered
830 Posts
SQ2500 does not work fine under XP.

No a3d, no ac3, no dts.

T.

·
Registered
5,132 Posts
I like my Aureal SQ1500 also. Stable SPDIF for DD/DTS of WinDVD and PowerDVD by themselves. Zoomplayer 2.5/2.6rc1 only works with WinDVD audio for DD/DTS SPDIF passthrough with Cinemaster 7.5 video but I'm happy with this. ATI (Ravisent) 7.5/7.6 only does DPL for SPDIF for me when running by itself. All and all not a bad card for $10.

·
Registered
6,226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
thanks alot again...i think i paid about $10 or $9 shipped so i figured for that price if it works it's got to be the steal or deal of the century.i was using a soundblaster live w/ an hoontech but i sold it..so i figured i try out this much cheaper solution.anybody have any idea how it compares to the soundblaste as far as quality goes?i've heard some people say that even the soundblaster doesn't sound good but it played beautifully for me..i really didn't notice a difference between it and my dvd player.

brickie

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.