AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Banned
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had recently purchased a Aurelex Gramma for my speakers (7.1) and I was wondering if you can cut them? I want to put them under my front/sides/ center speaker.

Can the gramma be cut into 5 pieces ? I have small speakers. Energy CB-10 for the fronts (L/R) and Energy RC-5's for sorrounds.

Thanks for help!

·
RETIRED theater builder
36,156 Posts
Just how do you propose to cut such an irregular shape into 5 pieces? There may be some stability issue. I would return it and just use some pieces of rubber mat. Grab a cheap Yoga/Pilates mat from Walmart and cut it to the right size pieces.

·
Registered
4,850 Posts
+1

Even though the Gramma was designed by a great guy, and can be quite effective underneath the right piece of gear, in the right situation (guitar rig/bass rig, on a stage riser, etc), there's nothing inherently special about it's isolation elements.

Foam, rubber, Sorbothane type stuff, use whatever works best and cheapest.

·
Registered
1,736 Posts
The high density foam (PlatFoam) is what does the work in the Gramma. You can buy them separately and cut them down: http://www.auralex.com/sound_isolation_platfoam/sound_isolation_platfoam.asp . I use Platsheet to isolate speakers and subs. That comes in 1" sheets and I cut it down to fit the need. It's a great material to work with, I greatly prefer it to JM fiberglass batts...I also use it on screen and baffle walls too.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Thirding the DIY route for this kind of task. Especially if you want a custom setup or want to fit to a special size, it's fast, easy, and cheap to make your own. There's nothing special used in the construction you can't find on your own, and foam is surprisingly easy to cut at home too. A sharp serrated knife and a gentle sawing motion, or even better, an electric turkey carver, will work wonders.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts