AVS Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi just the the thread with Dolby atmos at home with DSU movie reviews it will be good to see users post Auromatic reviews too. i will be setting up Auro 3d next week and will post reviews here. please post the following....

Movie Name-----

Sound placement: 10/10

Auromatic upmix FH SH VOG height speaker: 10/10

Subwolfer use: 9/10

also in depth details of the sound you get from the top speakers also if you can compare the same movie in Atmos set up that will give potential buyers a good idea on what to expect.

i will post next week on my reviews but please someone start here first thanks.

·
Registered
27,014 Posts
Dolby Atmos Demo disc... 10/10/10! Best upmixing experience yet!

(Datasat)

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i will find out what will be better upmixer in a weeks time myself but wanted others opinions on the Auro 3d upmixer and how they like it.

·
Registered
5,092 Posts
Well, actually you can just look at the Dolby Surround Upmixer thread, because the movies that sound great in DSU, also sound great in Auromatic ;)

But my favourites so fra are:
Into The Storm
Cloverfield
Mazerunner
Hansel and Gretel
Star Trek Into Darkness
Lone Survivor
Dredd
Oblivion
Interstellar
Equalizer

Enjoy :)

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well, actually you can just look at the Dolby Surround Upmixer thread, because the movies that sound great in DSU, also sound great in Auromatic ;)

But my favourites so fra are:
Into The Storm
Cloverfield
Mazerunner
Hansel and Gretel
Star Trek Into Darkness
Lone Survivor
Dredd
Oblivion
Interstellar
Equalizer

Enjoy :)
i have tried auromatic and to be honest maybe the settings were wrong but it didnt sound as good as dsu, the voice felt wrong and some overhead effects felt right in dsu as auromatic just basically mixed the surround back channels with the surround height channels, basically it was the same sound coming from the back 4.

i must admit though the auro 3d demo disc was better than dolby atmos demo. but dsu for me is the better of the 2. for music auro 3d upmix is better but for movies it is dsu.

·
Registered
414 Posts
i have tried auromatic and to be honest maybe the settings were wrong but it didnt sound as good as dsu, the voice felt wrong and some overhead effects felt right in dsu as auromatic just basically mixed the surround back channels with the surround height channels, basically it was the same sound coming from the back 4...
Are you comparing both upmixer with 4 height speakers active each? I mean, I know, it's difficult to compare the same time due to the different back heights, since the stupid naming / Audissey problem.
And further more, I really wonder, why you complain about voices with Auro-Matic... it simply don't touch the center channel, so it should not be any difference with or without upmixer. This is by the way one of the things, I like with the Auro-Matic!

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Are you comparing both upmixer with 4 height speakers active each? I mean, I know, it's difficult to compare the same time due to the different back heights, since the stupid naming / Audissey problem.
And further more, I really wonder, why you complain about voices with Auro-Matic... it simply don't touch the center channel, so it should not be any difference with or without upmixer. This is by the way one of the things, I like with the Auro-Matic!
i have set up both auro 3d separately and atmos separate doing the mic calibration, auro set up as FH SH and atmos as FH and TM, i dont know sometimes auro sounds better but overall dsu is better. i like to use rain scenes as my test, and dsu provided more realistic rain sound and filled the room with clear and room filling sound. with auro is felt like the treble or high is missing and felt like i covered my speakers with a box and the sound felt a bit muffled. its hard to explain. any way i have no complaints as for music is use auro 3d but without audessy but still sounds good.

·
Registered
29,532 Posts
with auro is felt like the treble or high is missing
It is, to keep the height speakers from being distracting. Typically noticeable only when compared to DSU. But even then, it comes down to personal preference: you feel Auro-Matic sounds too warm, others feel DSU sounds too bright.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts